Container etiquette..

Deezul

Newbie here with a question about containers. I read the Faq pages and didn't find the answer. At work I have access to scrap pvc/abs pipe and fittings. It would be easy to make a weather tight cache container with a short section of pipe, with screw on caps. Even after a camo paint job, I am concerned with it looking an awful lot like a pipe bomb, which can't be good!

Is this type of container a good idea or not?

Thanks

Sam

Many people have utilized this type of container, with the main challenges being:

- getting a watertight seal,

- finders having problems opening up a well-sealed container, and

- looking like a pipe bomb.

On that last point, use common sense and discretion. It's fine to use camoflage, but don't forget to clearly identify the container as a geocache. On my caches, I always add the words "GAME EXPLAINED INSIDE" on the outside of the container, in the hopes that the accidental finder might relax when they see the word "game," and the invitation for an explanation. Also, choose your location for such a container well. Near an airport, bridge or public building? No way, stick with clear Rubbermaid/Tupperware, or avoid the location entirely. In the backwoods or up in the mountains? Go for it! Great cache! I'll be hiding a devious cache using a mortar tube in the near future, but it won't be next to a playground.

Search on "PVC" for prior threads discussing this.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

If there's no accounting for stupidity, then why do I need to file a tax return?

you could just write "not a pipe bomb" in big red letters on the side.. but i wouldnt worry too much about it, the main problem i have with pipes is size, though on the plus side the shape often makes it easier to hide in some places. if you are hiding it in an open type area, i would suggest the old standby tupperware, just for ease of item uses.

Although I was going to use tupperware, I opted for Ammo Box's. And in these times I am not so sure it was such a good idea. However I paint them, and I mark them with an 'Official Geocache Gamepiece' sticker I bought through this site. Looks cool, and seals well to. I put all of the stuff in ziplok bags for a little extra protection from the weather. I am also new to geocaching, and have found that the veterens are both fun to talk to, informative, helpful and always real cool.

Wow! This has turned interesting. First, we see Vash's first forum posting in something like four or five months. Welcome back. Then, we see Team KnuckleHeads call themselves newbies, yet with a May 2001 "registered" date. I see you have cache finds in late December, followed by a hide that is getting excellent reviews in its first week. I bet someone got a GPS for Christmas! You win the "patience is a virtue" award.

If there's no accounting for stupidity, then why do I need to file a tax return?

I've heard of people having a very hard time opening these containers, esp. if any dirt gets on the threads. You might want to advise them to bring an adjustable wrench along. Some people have taken to using some sort of expandable rubber plug in one end. You might want to post to the General forum for ideas.

And take the Lep's advice about marking and placing one of these things, lest you get the bomb squad out. Your best bet is to stick with ammo boxes (3.99 at cheaperthandirt.com). Or good Rubbermaid, or Tupperware containers. Stay away from Gladware, Chinese food/deli and cheap dollar store containers.

"Paternalism is the greatist despotism" - Emmanual Kant

As an alternative to PVC tubes with tough-to-open threaded covers, or more expensive but better sealing test plugs, I was turned on to these plastic mortar tubes by a fellow cacher, which utilize coarse threads and an o-ring seal. The threads themselves should never stick, and as long as the tube is cleaned up and the o-ring is coated with some vaseline, it opens with relative ease. The cap "snaps" in place when screwed on, so a few marks would help make sure cachers aligned it correctly. Plus, the darker color makes them easier to camoflauge than conventional PVC pipe. Inside diameter is about 3.25 inches, so it's not huge, but usable for a situation that deserves a tube.

Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

I just picked up a few of the morter tubes myself and did have that concern about looking pipe bombish, i have to agree about location, these are going into the woods and not near structures and such!

Darkmoon icon_biggrin.gif

No, I am not lost...I am where I am suppose to be...At least I think so?

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

Some the cache bombs for deep woods caches. Odds of accidental finds drop and odds of someone thinking it's a pimp bomb drops.

If you want to see a pimp bomb, find a pimp and hand him a note that says "Crystal and Desiree are working for me now."

OK, back to our topic.... there's a PVC pipe cache here in Pittsburgh where the owner has included a small jar of vaseline inside the cache, and asks users to spread a little bit of it on the screw threads. Seemed to work well. Another option is to somehow attach a handle to open the square nut on top of the pipe. Maybe not leave a Craftsman wrench out in the woods (although at least one helpful hider has done tht), but fashion something out of hardwood, perhaps?

[This message was edited by The Leprechauns on January 09, 2003 at 08:19 AM.]

Hell Ammo can's can look like bombs. Paint your container, put geocache on it and then it will look like a pipe bomb disguised as a geocache.

I wouldn't worry about it. For one thing you will have coordinates to the location on your site. By marking the container as what it is that should remove any doubt for a geocacher looking for it.

Wherever you go there you are.

"Then, we see Team KnuckleHeads call themselves newbies, yet with a May 2001 "registered" date. I see you have cache finds in late December, followed by a hide that is getting excellent reviews in its first week. I bet someone got a GPS for Christmas! You win the "patience is a virtue" award."

Actually, I have been a member since May of 2001, but all I did was follow along and read and research this hobby. (Heh, I guess it was been a while, eh?) Then I desided which GPSr was right for me and put it on the goodboy list for Santa. We live in an area that is very near something like 5000 acres of state land, and happens to be a recreation area as well! So how perfect is that for one with an interest in this hobby/sport? Thanks for the kudos on our first hide. We had fun placing it and are very happy that others have enjoyed the search. Soon, we plan unvailing <-[sp?) a multi, with clues to find the next cache and the next and so on and so forth... Hope to make this one enjoyable to all the veterens! icon_smile.gif

I always thought bombs looked like anything but a bomb; book satchels, backpacks, lunch boxes, briefcases, camera bags, diaper bags, mail parcels, the list goes on.

Now, if you made a cache out of several road flairs, two coils of wire (one red and one blue), and a windup alarm clock, all wrapped in electrical tape...

CR

72057_2000.gif

I bought mine online. Cabela's.

www.cabelas.com

I think they were like $6.00 Bux each. Be forwarned, they are not always USA cans. Two of mine were foreign! They had sand in them ( a little ) Yikes!

One didn't have the rubber seal on the lid, but the other 6 I bought did, and were in good shape. They are not new. They are used 9mm ammo box's. Some times they are a little rusty, but all were in good functional shape. Type 'Ammo Box' into the search box at cabela's, you'll find em. They were the best price I could find too. (so far) icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Deezul:

At Brain's suggestion, I got some coming from

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com Pretty good price, the reg size are $3.99 ea and also have a six pack of the smaller one's for $19.97. To heck with Tupperware!

Sam

Thanks Sam! Yes, I found that site with a search a few minutes after posting. Good to know I'm on the right track! icon_smile.gif I'll also check some local army surplus stores.

Appreciate it,

Bill

Bill

Jack Russells Online

http://www.jackrussells.com

Hey! That's cool! I went to cheaperthandirt and found the SAME cans! Youse guys are on the ball, I gotta tell-ya!

Hey Deezul, don't mess with the ole'lady's tupperware. Serious. That's asking for it. I mean it! icon_smile.gif Here's the link to jump right to the ammo box if that's your what your looking for:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?sku=ZAA%2D095&mscssid=VA5UA10QDXD08P9BEK5B6HQWB1J615M7

(I see you got some coming, ok, good geocacher)

Hey, Team Jack Russell, I am looking forward to getting a Jack. I keep telling my wife, once we get rid of our kids (all four of them) I'm getting a Jack. They good dogs? Seem's like the perfect pet for a geocacher! icon_smile.gif

www.austinscott.com (my lame addition to the Net! icon_smile.gif )

Hey! How come when I tried to access: http://www.jackrussells.com

I got a message saying the website could not be found? icon_mad.gif

Knucklehead, I prefer to live on the edge! icon_rolleyes.gif I couldn't take waiting any longer for the brown truck to bring my ammo cans from Cheaperthandirt. The better half went shopping today with junior so I swiped some of her tupperware and placed my first catch today. I figured I would change out the cache container when I got an ammo cans, but after I got done with the spray paint camo job on it, I don't believe she will want it back! icon_biggrin.gif

Sam

I think one of the reasons people think PVC and ammo cans look like bombs is because cachers tend to either paint them in camo or not paint them at all (olive drab in the case of ammo cans). Both schemes tend toward the military in appearance.

I've painted my ammo can with paint that looks like rock. If you can see it at all, it just looks like a square rock. I doubt anyone would think "bomb".

geospotter

quote:
Originally posted by Team KnuckleHeads:

I don't know. I like the Ammo Box for a cache. If it looks like a Bomb, don't mess with it! icon_smile.gif I paint em up with a little cammo paint, fill em up with goodies ,place em, and mark their coord's. Check my first ammo can out here: http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/47923_200.jpg

How does that look?

What is that white stuff ??? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Fair winds, Capn Skully

quote:
Originally posted by Capn_Skully:

quote:
Originally posted by Team KnuckleHeads:

I don't know. I like the Ammo Box for a cache. If it looks like a Bomb, don't mess with it! icon_smile.gif I paint em up with a little cammo paint, fill em up with goodies ,place em, and mark their coord's. Check my first ammo can out here: http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/47923_200.jpg

How does that look?

What is that white stuff ??? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Snow. Smarty pants. WE ALL KNOW YOU DON'T GET IT DOWN THERE IN THE Louisiana BAYOU !!

I don't think ammo cans look like bombs at all. They look like, well ammo cans. Hey I know! Paint em camo, then paint a bright red/orange BIOLOGICAL HAZARD Icon on it! Now NO ONE WILL MESS WITH IT!

icon_smile.gif

...just ordered a few from cheaperthandirt.com (and a few stickers from geocaching.com).

I'd been gathering stuff for a few caches (even scouted our a few good locations) and the ammo boxes seem to be the driest, easiest way to place the cache. I'll return the tupperware to the kitchen!

And I thought the GPS was the last money I was going to spend on this hobby! icon_eek.gif

Thanks for the tip!!!

Using Tupperware that has already been used for food storage is not a good idea. The smell gets in there and is really hard to get rid of. You're just asking for an animal to destroy your cache. If you are using Tupperware type containers, make sure they're new.

"Paternalism is the greatist despotism" - Emmanual Kant

Why not put the website information on the outside of the container? I can see both cans and pvc being confused by folks these days. If you put the website info on it someone may research it before they blow it up just to be SURE that it is not a bomb.

And then there is the fun of walking into the woods carrying this thing.

How come I was never lost BEFORE I got a GPS?

quote:

I just haven't seen any since the big one in '73 that is 1973 icon_biggrin.gif

I remember that one! 1973, that wasn't that long ago, was it? icon_confused.gif I was in Looziana back in 79. Actually I was in Miss-sippy. That was the year your cops all went on strike and Marti-Gras was cancelled. icon_frown.gif Now that was a drag! Stationed at Keesler, we used to cross the border to bring Coors back. Remember when that was considered bootleggin' !!? icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
I remember that one! 1973, that wasn't that long ago, was it? icon_confused.gif I was in Looziana back in 79. Actually I was in Miss-sippy. That was the year your cops all went on strike and Marti-Gras was cancelled. icon_frown.gif Now that was a drag! Stationed at Keesler, we used to cross the border to bring Coors back. Remember when that was considered bootleggin' !!? icon_biggrin.gif

I got hitched in '79... Still married to her and to think if I would have went to jail instead I would have been parolled by now. icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

Fair winds, Capn Skully

quote:

I got hitched in '79... Still married to her and to think if I would have went to jail instead I would have been parolled by now. icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

You want to be parolled now, it would be considered divorce! icon_smile.gif But you know what they say, "Why is divorce so expensive?, Cause it's WORTH IT!" icon_biggrin.gif

May the flea's of a thousand camels infest your armpits.. icon_cool.gif

I haven't started caching on my own yet (my GPS is on order) but I have been out with a couple of other guys. One guy took me to a cache in town where the container was sitting in plain sight. It was a PVC pipe affair that appeared to be some sort of plumbing fixture coming out of the front of a building and going down into the porch. It was actually just a piece of PVC pipe about a foot long that had an elbow coming out one side and a screw on top -- like a cleanout fitting. THe pipe was placed on the porch so it looked like it attached to the building. Of course it wasn't but rather contained "the goods" inside. I thought it was really clever.

We started caching in mid September 2002 and placed our 1st cache on 9/17, it was a rubbermaid 3x4x1.5 inch container... unsuitable.. It has been changed to plastic 1.5 quart jar with screw top lid. Of course camouflaged. We also use 1 quart to five gallon plastic containers, most are camoed or just flat black. All are marked as such... http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/43683_300.jpg

Our favorite is a large olive jar or plastic pickle jar!

poikaa es Butterfly