Categories For Geocachers

Joypa

:rolleyes: I wonder if there are any general categories for geocachers. I was initially thinking that you were a tadpole until you had 50 or so found, then, a frog til 100, etc... But you could also have other categories like-only looks for travel bugs or number hound, etc...Has anybody come up with a system?

I use a rigorous system of classification to pigeonhole geocachers into different categories:

• If they go out looking for and finding geocaches, they are "cachers".
  • If they do not go out looking for and finding geocaches, they are "non-cachers".

I realize that this sort of classification system may seem a bit arbitrary and unfair at first glance, but keep in mind that these are just basic guidelines, and I leave a bit of "slop room" to handle those individuals who don't fit neatly into any of the previous categories.

I use a rigorous system of classification to pigeonhole geocachers into different categories:
  • If they do not go out looking for and finding geocaches, they are "non-cachers".

I realize that this sort of classification system may seem a bit arbitrary and unfair at first glance, but keep in mind that these are just basic guidelines, and I leave a bit of "slop room" to handle those individuals who don't fit neatly into any of the previous categories.

:rolleyes::unsure::ph34r:

Hmm.....what if one finds a cache but wasn't looking for it. What are they then called?? LOL! :rolleyes::unsure:

•  

Hmm.....what if one finds a cache but wasn't looking for it. What are they then called?? LOL! :rolleyes::unsure:

slop?

•  

I was going to say that's what the slop room was for, but Uper covered that pretty well.

I'd say it depends on whether they come back to do more cache hunting or not, and base their categorization on that.

(Admittedly, it's a somewhat imprecise system...)

Well o.k. - love the hysterical sarcasm folks, but seriously...

Howcum, for instance - all my forum posts (like Joypa) have a silly "Tadpole" designation - while others don't Is that some sort of catagorical system that Groundspeak employs? If so, what is the criteria for passing muster and moving on to grownup (i.e. dumping the tadpole tag on my posts)? 6 months from join date? 50 caches? Clearly there's some pigeonholing going on...

Well o.k. - love the hysterical sarcasm folks, but seriously...

Howcum, for instance - all my forum posts (like Joypa) have a silly "Tadpole" designation - while others don't Is that some sort of catagorical system that Groundspeak employs? If so, what is the criteria for passing muster and moving on to grownup (i.e. dumping the tadpole tag on my posts)? 6 months from join date? 50 caches? Clearly there's some pigeonholing going on...

I think that once you have 10 forum posts, you lose the "tadpole" nametag. It's for forum purposes only.

OMG! I just noticed that others have seemingly self-dubbed titles/captions under their avatar. Still... some have just "geocacher"...

Question is - if we can put whatever we like in place of the Tadpole, how do we do it?

Me? I was thinking of something demure and dainty like... kick-a** lass or somesuch... :rolleyes:

OMG! I just noticed that others have seemingly self-dubbed titles/captions under their avatar. Still... some have just "geocacher"...

Question is - if we can put whatever we like in place of the Tadpole, how do we do it?

Me? I was thinking of something demure and dainty like... kick-a** lass or somesuch... :rolleyes:

You need to shell out 30 bucks for that option. :unsure: It's a benefit of Premium membership.

My, my, we've all been busy pecking here tonight - I can barely keep up with the replys. :rolleyes:

Truly thanks folks - I now get it. No doubt (given these 3 loquatious posts alone) I shall soon graduate to "geocacher". And yes, thanks - makes sense that premium members can choose their own as a perk.

<snip> makes sense that premium members can choose their own as a perk.

well, it doesnt really to me all that much... other boards give you the option at the beginning, others give it to you at 250 posts, and one board i was at gave it to you only after you performed a charitable act (they started doing custom titles at christmas time). i wouldnt shell out $30/year just to get the title, since i dont need any of the other features.

well, whaddya hafta say to that? huh? huh? huh?

(aka, get rid of another one of those three posts now.)

I also found out there are a lot of sarcastic clowns out there.

I'd just like to point out that I wasn't being sarcastic in the least. So far as geocaching is concerned, I only see people as cachers or non-cachers. I make no real "class distinction" between those who have four or five finds or those who have several thousand, or between those who are just starting out and those who have been around for years. Sure someone on their first hunt might be "the new guy", but once they've been out to look for a cache, they pretty much become a "cacher" as far as I'm concerned.

As someone who has been on the receiving end of a good number of labels, pigeonholes, and classifications, I generally don't put too much time or effort into labeling others.