Lost And Found

Not good protocol.  You should have left it and posted a note or emailed the owner to tell him  it is empty and in the mud.

:) Shoot. I guess I'll take it back, throw it back in the mud and leave a note in it. Doesn't this guy ever check his email?

Actually, what you did isn't terrible as long as you leave a note on the cache page so others know it's gone. The best thing you could do in that situation however, (assuming the contain is still in good condition) is to put a new logbook in it and maybe even some new swag and re-hide it. Just leaving laying there in the mud would have been bad form.

Ducky2,

A large majority of cachers don't read this forum. If you haven't already done so, post a note to the cache page. Also you should post this topic in your regional forum.

Edited by JMBella
Not good protocol.  You should have left it and posted a note or emailed the owner to tell him  it is empty and in the mud.

:o Shoot. I guess I'll take it back, throw it back in the mud and leave a note in it. Doesn't this guy ever check his email?

Nothing wrong with that. An empty container laying in the mud? I'm sure you did the cache owner a favor. Look at it this way, hHe needs to make a trip out there to replace it, or retreive it before archiving it. If he wants to do the latter, you saved him the trip out there. If he wants to replace it, you can just mail him the container, or drop it off for him.

A local geocacher did the very same thing for me last week. Found an empty container, took it home and e-mailed me. He saved me the trip out there if I had decided to archive it. I wound up replacing it, but his taking the container didn't make things any harder on me. I thanked him.

As long as you mentioned that the cache is gone in your log, you're fine

:o Shoot. I guess I'll take it back, throw it back in the mud and leave a note in it. Doesn't this guy ever check his email?

Nothing wrong with that. An empty container laying in the mud? I'm sure you did the cache owner a favor. Look at it this way, hHe needs to make a trip out there to replace it, or retreive it before archiving it. If he wants to do the latter, you saved him the trip out there. If he wants to replace it, you can just mail him the container, or drop it off for him.

A local geocacher did the very same thing for me last week. Found an empty container, took it home and e-mailed me. He saved me the trip out there if I had decided to archive it. I wound up replacing it, but his taking the container didn't make things any harder on me. I thanked him.

As long as you mentioned that the cache is gone in your log, you're fine

I'm glad somebody thinks I did the right thing. I went back and checked. I can't be 100% sure but I think the cache was abandoned. Lots of Purdue students leave after the semester, loose their email account and are never heard from again. That's a new topic---abandoned caches.