Autorouting Questions

I am considering the 60c or cs and have a couple questions about autorouting...

When the autorouting occurs on the gps, say from point A to point B in a not so direct line, the unit will calculate the roads to take and turns to make -- here's the question, If I deviate from the route it has chosen, and make a turn at another road, will the gps recalculate the route automatically on the fly? or do I have to hit some button or click some screen option to trigger it to recalculate or "refresh" the route from my current position??

Another question, on the corresponding City select software on the PC/Laptop, if I connect the gps to the computer, I understand that the autorouting can be shown as well. But I have the same questions here also, is autorouting recalculated on the fly on the PC/ laptop also, or do I have to "trigger" it by some way to make it refresh the route?

Thanks,

Kirk out.

is autorouting recalculated on the fly on the PC/ laptop also, or do I have to "trigger" it by some way to make it refresh the route?

You can tell it to re-calculate whenever you want to. You can insert "via" points if you wish to "force" a particular route. I use this function all the time to make sure the route goes where I want it to go. Bottom line is...I won't travel now without City Select! It has become as important in my traveling as my microwave is in my kitchen! (Actually more so...I can cook without the microwave, but I won't even try traveling without City Select!)

If I deviate from the route it has chosen, and make a turn at another road, will the gps recalculate the route automatically on the fly? or do I have to hit some button or click some screen option to trigger it to recalculate or "refresh" the route from my current position??

This is a selectable option. You can have it automatically recalculate, or you can have the GPSr notify you that you're off course and prompt you whether or not you want it to recalculate.

You can insert "via" points if you wish to "force" a particular route.

Can you tell me a little more how this is actually done? Can you do it on the GPSr, computer, or both? I'm interested in how Garmin handles this need.

One of my gripes with Magellan's MapSend DirectRoute is the failure to accommodate via points. DR offers what it thinks is the best route, and all you can do is re-route once you've deviated from the DR dictate, or use via points sequentially as destination points for sub-routes.

Can you tell me a little more how this is actually done?

Certainly! First on the PC: The route selection tool lets you select your start and finish point, and any "via" points you wish in between. You simply click on each of these points and stretch a line to your desired point. Sort of like stretching an elastic band from point to point. The software completes the route between your last point clicked and the the one before it. You just click on the points you want to make sure that you have on your route and the software does the rest. Then download it to the Garmin and start driving! Now on the Garmin itself: You simply use the cursor keypads to move or "pan" the map to the points you need on the route and route to those points. Very easy actually, adn with the autorouting ability, you can miss exits or turns (for whatever reasons) and not worry about it! Within moments, the GPS sets a new route (including your via points if you have set any) to your final destination.

What I am asking for the PC/Laptop is

while the gps is connected to the PC, does the PC also have the capability to recalculate the route on the fly on the PC's display. I am assuming that the GPS will still function just fine with autorouting as if it weren't connected even though it is connected (if that makes any sense...).

What are yall's experience with the 60c/cs connected to the PC and having the PC display in City selected the autoroute? will it recalculate on the fly or not?

Kirk out.

If you have the proper software, the PC will recalculate on the fly regardless of which GPS is attached, autorouting or not. Even a mouse GPS with no display or waypoint capability at all will give you that. I don't know about the City Select software, but there certainly is software available that will do it.