Backlight, Version, And Accessories

moopgroop

Just got my 60 cs on Tuesday. 1st GPSr and having fun so far. Three questions that I haven't found answers to yet.

1. Is there a way to turn the backlight on other than pushing the power button?

2. My version is 3.40. Is it worthwhile to get the upgrade to 3.50?

3. I ordered the nav kit with cityselect, 12v cord, and mount. Any other accessories anyone can recommend? I plan on doing some family geocaching and using it to make up for my lack of direction sense while driving.

Thanks

Shell

Edited by moopgroop

I think so. Here's what changed.

Changes made from version 3.40 to 3.50:

* Added support for <a href='http://www.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=545'>xImage</a> software.

* Improved track log recording in Auto mode.

* Increased the size of the compass pointer on the Compass page.

* Enabled the compass pointer to be shown while navigating a Follow Road route.

* Added a progress indicator when calculating a Follow Road route.

* Increased the precision of the 'project waypoint distance' field.

* Added the ability to independently show or hide entire map families on the Map Setup page.

* Added 'meters per second' as an option for vertical speed units.

* Added an option to the Altimeter Setup page that enables the unit to record pressure trend data while power is off (readings are taken every 15 minutes).

* Added Greek language.

* Updated translations.

Just got my 60 cs on Tuesday. 1st GPSr and having fun so far. Three questions that I haven't found answers to yet.

3. I ordered the nav kit with cityselect, 12v cord, and mount. Any other accessories anyone can recommend? I plan on doing some family geocaching and using it to make up for my lack of direction sense while driving.

Thanks

Shell

1. Through a long series of menus. Setup, display, backlight level I think. This is nice because you can customize how bright the backlight should be.

2. Yes - some very nice features in there. The routing progress meter is worth it alone, since that little car was cute but useless.

3. Yes, definitely get a carrying case if you don't have one already. If you're spending the $500-600 on the other stuff, it's very very worth the $10 for the garmin carrying case. I was buying the same package recently, and was thinking about skimping and saving a few bucks... but it's very worth it.

If you're looking to spend more money, another thing to get is a PDA screen protector, and then cut it to the right size for your unit.

Thanks

Shell

Keep pushing the power button and adjust the light to the brightness you want.

Then push enter.

Now when ever you push ANY button on your unit the light will come on.

you can also go into Menu/Setup and change the length of time the light will stay on before it turns off.

I like to set mine on a minute.

If you are asking for a way to make the unit automatically use the backlight in night mode and not during the day mode, I don't think there is a way to make it do that. However, you can manually do it this way: push your power button until the backlight slider is all the way at the bottom (backlight off). Now press enter and the backlight will never come on until you press the power button. Also, I'd recommend a gilsson external antenna if you are going to use your unit for autorouting or if you are going into heavy tree cover. I have a 76cs, when I am walking around I get anywhere from +/- 13 feet to +/- 25 feet, as soon as I get back to the car and plug in the external, BAM, +/- 6 feet! You start to get spoiled with an external because you realize how much more accurate it makes your unit, and you miss it when you don't have it hooked up :anibad: