60cs Not Watertight

calulus

Just a note of caution for those of you who use you Garmin 60's around water, keep it in a watertight equipment bag. I had a Kayak rollover in open ocean a few days back, the unit was securely fastened to the deck of the boat and it spent about 20 minutes underwater at a depth of about 1 foot. It did not hold the water out. Friends have tested their units in sinks and have not had problems this leads me to to the conclusion that I may have had a faulty seal. Regardless the unit is destroyed and it looks like Garmin is going to repair/replace under warranty.

IPX7 = Protected against water immersion - Immersion for 30 minutes at a depth of 1 meter.

To me, this implies standing water and not being dragged through the water under a boat or shooting down the rapids of a river. The additional pressure of the motion of the water seems to exceed the standard. :rolleyes:

Sounds like Garmin is stepping up to the plate in the name of good customer service - again.

The USB connector on mine is a little loose and moves around, so it is not water tight.

As far as Magellan goes, even the SporTraks can have problems, the ones that get cracks at the screws, also if a Meridian has been through alot of use, it also may not be water tight, where the 2 halves come together, or the battery door. My 76S seems more solid than my Meridian Platinum that I had, when I tried to flex the GPS itself.

The best bet for kayaking, is a Map76S, a very solid unit and water tight.

Edited by GOT GPS?

I, too, have had the experience of having my eTrex soak up water while kayaking. My etrex was sitting on top of my cooler in open sun, and got wet from a splash, and sucked up some water when it cooled. It was never submerged completely, only sitting in a puddle of water for a few minutes. Garmin was very kind in replacing it, even though it was out of warranty. If you look closely, there is a small vent hole on the back side of the etrex, and I assume that the vent is standard on the other models, too.

I, too, have had the experience of having my eTrex soak up water while kayaking. My etrex was sitting on top of my cooler in open sun, and got wet from a splash, and sucked up some water when it cooled. It was never submerged completely, only sitting in a puddle of water for a few minutes. Garmin was very kind in replacing it, even though it was out of warranty. If you look closely, there is a small vent hole on the back side of the etrex, and I assume that the vent is standard on the other models, too.

There is a vent hole on the back of the Vista where the finger curls under the GPS. that is for the pressure sensor.

Just a note of caution for those of you who use you Garmin 60's around water, keep it in a watertight equipment bag. I had a Kayak rollover in open ocean a few days back, the unit was securely fastened to the deck of the boat and it spent about 20 minutes underwater at a depth of about 1 foot. It did not hold the water out. Friends have tested their units in sinks and have not had problems this leads me to to the conclusion that I may have had a faulty seal. Regardless the unit is destroyed and it looks like Garmin is going to repair/replace under warranty.

Don't worry about the Garmin unit...more important is that you learn how to get back into your Kayak when you take a dump. A paddle float placed on the end of your paddle and then under the shock cord on the Kayak makes reentry fairly easy in all but rough waters. Don't mean to nag, but if the waters were not rough as you said.....rule number one would be to get back into the Kayak.

As far as "waterproof" goes, I have yet to see a product in any category, that was "bombproof". Even the much tauted Pelican cases and "dry seal" bags" specifically designed for water protection occassionally have a leak. When you are on the water you sort of have to just accept the risk...in your case you have a happy ending with Garmin replacing the unit.

Any person with a partial brain would protect there GPS while near water and put it in a water tight package. These are easily available from sporting goods stores. Would you tie your camera to the top of your kayak or boat and then cry the blues when it got wet then didnt work?

FYI........electroincs usually dont fare to well when exposed to water. Invest a few dollars in a water tight container or cover for your electronics.

Also if you read the fine print water tight does not mean water tight for extended periods.

So please do not come on here saying that your 60cs is not water tight.

Operator inexperience, and ignorance is the real issue here. Not a defective product.

When you use a gas barbeque at home do you use acetylene for fuel then complain the the barbeque was defective ?

Don't worry..commode/kermode there doesn't really have anything useful to say, he just whines alot. I think his daughter is using his account.

As to the gps...it should have survived that brief encounter..but nothing is perfect. Thanks for posting up that useful bit of information so perhaps we can better safeguard against it in the future. (not sarcastic)

Edited by wickedsprint
Any person with a partial brain would protect there GPS while near water and put it in a water tight package. These are easily available from sporting goods stores. Would you tie your camera to the top of your kayak or boat and then cry the blues when it got wet then didnt work?

FYI........electroincs usually dont fare to well when exposed to water. Invest a few dollars in a water tight container or cover for your electronics.

Also if you read the fine print water tight does not mean water tight for extended periods.

So please do not come on here saying that your 60cs is not water tight.

Operator inexperience, and ignorance is the real issue here. Not a defective product.

When you use a gas barbeque at home do you use acetylene for fuel then complain the the barbeque was defective ?

Camera's are not immersion rated. Some GPSrs, including the one here, is. Are you usually this rude?

All I am saying is that if you play with fire you get burned.

Use your head and when playing in or near water with any electronic equipment use a water proof bag with it.

If you can not afford one try a zip lock bag. Then you can not cry the blues when water gets on it or it falls in the Oh and by the way I am not rude where do you get that idea from.

Just use common sense.

Kermode you where being rude, read your post again (you lash out like you own stock in Garmin). Anyhow it really does not matter most of the time people like you do not know any better, luckily the rest of us understand. It is odd to me that an experianced Kayaker and Mariner who was just sending along some information that may help someone in the future (Mabey someone who is relying on the GPS for navigation and thinks the IPX-7 standard will protect their equipment.) would encounter such hostility. Do what you will with the information but do not kill the messenger.

Stevesisti, Thanks for the tip about getting back in the Kayak, but worry not, I was not floating around for 20 minutes enjoying the view I was helping other much weaker members of the group get back in their boats after the rather inconsiderate boater swamped us.

In conclusion, Although Garmin makes a wonderful product and I would recommend them to anyone, the lesson I learned as some of you pointed out to me like I missed the point of my own learning experiance, one level of protection is good ( IPX-7 ) but two is better (ziplock or whatever) if you really want your equipment to last till the end of the trip.

Thanks to all who added to this thread in a polite and constructive way.

Pelican cases were mentioned above. While not perfect, they can provide that 2nd level of protection. For travel (tho not in a kayak - just the hostile environ known as the airport), I keep my 60c in a Pelican Micro Case #1040, pictured below. It's not a perfect fit (you can buy a foam liner if you want to do that), but it can't flip over inside the case, and there's plenty of room for extra batteries, a small compass and/or maybe an external antenna.

I bought it at Cases 4 Less for about $11. Factory specs at Pelican.com (mine happens to be yellow with a clear lid, no foam). It does weigh more than the GPS, but it's almost bombproof protection for it. And, it doesn't block RF so the GPS will work in the case if needed. In the spirit of a recent (different) thread, last night I verified that it still floats with the GPSr in in, with NiMH batteries, so that's good to know.

gps_pelican.jpg

Hope this helps someone.

I'll add my two cents. The fact that Garmin apparently will honor thier warranty and cover units damaged by water says it all.

The GPS 60 should be 'expected' not to take on water when dunked.

I used my GPSV in the pouring rain numerous times and once dropped it in a pool of water with no problems. I would certainly expect the GPS 60 to be just as rugged.

Having said that...., now that I've heard stories of the unit NOT being completely waterproof I'll certainly take precautions. Meaning I'll put it in a ziplock bag if I'm rafting or whatever.

But for causal use in the rain, etc. I'm not really going to worry about it.

Edited by jollybgood
I have an Etrex venture that I take jetski-ing with me all the time and no problems whatsoever. And it's a cheap model.

The venture should be pretty well sealed, and handle the water ok. I saw in one of the messages that a hot vista had soaked up some water when it cooled off also. The vista has a vent hole in it's back for the pressure sensor. If you drop a warm or hot GPS 60C/CS in cool water, it will suck up some water as the GPS cools off inside it's case, damaging the unit. This is my belief anyway, never tried it myself though.

Edited by GOT GPS?