New Cache Alerts?

Firehouse16

I'm also wondering what the status of this is? This seems like it should be a fairly easy item to implement. I thought I saw once that this was one of the things being worked on. Is it a coding problem? Hardware capacity? Too many other pressing items?

Lookin' forward to it. :P

--RuffRidr

Bump...

Harrumph. Harrumph.

This one is going back a long time. I remember when the non-geocaching.com cache alert service was put out of business, we were told that something better was in the works. Is it still being worked on? What is the ETA?

It was really fun to run into fellow cachers at a new cache. The "New" new cache alert tool is something that many premium members have been waiting for.

If it is not going to be implemented this year, is it possible to post the new caches on the homepage, so that the old service can be restarted until geocaching.com's version is active?

I suppose they could take the people who want credit card payments NOW, the people who want cache alerts NOW, the people who want more pocket query options NOW, and the people who want buddy lists NOW and lock them in a room, and let them battle it out.

It might not settle anything, but it might cut down on the number of these "when do we get our favorite enhancement" threads.

Nothing wrong with asking. I think it is a fair question by the alert crowd, buddy list crowd, pocket query crowd, and the credit card crowd. It is certainly one of the reasons these forums are here.

So while we are asking :rolleyes: .... I want my alerts to call me at work, home, cell phone, pager and have the Goodyear blimp fly over with the coordinates. I suppose I can wait a little while for the blimp.

If you use Mozilla/Firefox instead of that awful Internet Explorer, you can get notified when new caches appear.

- set up a pocket query to find unfound caches in your area

- run the query

- bookmark it

- manage bookmarks, click properties, and set it up to "check for updates" runs every hour or whatever frequency you want.

- you'll get notified via a popup message when a new cache is added

- (you'll also get notified when a new cache gets found for the first time, as the pocket query results changed)

I suppose they could take the people who want credit card payments NOW, the people who want cache alerts NOW, the people who want more pocket query options NOW, and the people who want buddy lists NOW and lock them in a room, and let them battle it out.

It might not settle anything, but it might cut down on the number of these "when do we get our favorite enhancement" threads.

I think you make a good point and I think I understand what you are trying to say.

But some of these and other things have been out there on some to do list for months. Some I would guess even longer than a year. I and many others here are programmers, we understand what it takes to do some of these things. And to be real honest there is not a lot involved in some of these tasks.

I said it in another thread but I will say it here, in the same time period we have seen new icons, backgrounds, smilies and other things along those lines. That is all well and good but I don't think they are as wanted or needed as say new alerts. GC.com does not offer a service so someone else does, and for free even, until gc.com works up some way to stop them from doing it. Then says oh yea we are going to be coming up with something better, and often that is the last you here about it. Then months later when someone asks what is up with it they become malcontents and complainers.

Again I have to ask would anybody find this acceptable from any other business?

Edited by GrizzlyJohn
If you use Mozilla/Firefox instead of that awful Internet Explorer, you can get notified when new caches appear.

- set up a pocket query to find unfound caches in your area

- run the query

- bookmark it

- manage bookmarks, click properties, and set it up to "check for updates" runs every hour or whatever frequency you want. 

- you'll get notified via a  popup message when a new cache is added

- (you'll also get notified when a new cache gets found for the first time, as the pocket query results changed)

I tried this and when I click manage bookmarks/properties/and set auto reload and then click OK, it loads the script and eventually a message comes up saying that a script has been loaded causing Mozilla to run slowly and that if it continues it will cause the computer to crash. When I click the bookmark's properties the box that comes up has this auto-reload in the "tab" tab. Could one of my extensions be fouling things up??? Thanks for your help. I am a FTF nut and this would help