Batch Renaming Of Waypoints In Gpx File...?

I'm looking for a simple windows utilties that will rename the waypoints in a GPX file taking the like Geobuddy does for .loc files -- only for GPX.

I want to batch change all my geocache way points so that the coded geocache names are replaced with the truncated/10 letter names from the cache decsription/name.

GPSBabel (also used by GSAK, although GSAK doesn't use GPSBabel's smartname logic) can rename waypoints on the way to your receiver. It knows the "best" format for your target (whitespace, length, forbidden characters, capitalization, etc.) and it's very careful to NOT send two waypoints with the same name to your unit. (i.e. "big long rambling cache name one" and "big long rambling cache name two" won't be the same even if you're shooting them into a unit with 6 char names.)

The feature is calle d"smart names" and it's enabled with the "-s" flag or the appropriate clicky boxy in the various graphical wrappers.

Edited by robertlipe

You're not missing something - MacGPSBabel is! I haven't enabled smart names in the MacGPSBabel GUI yet - it's on the to do list.

--- EDIT---

Forget all the stuff that I wrote here - I fixed it, see message below

------------

JeremyA

Edited by JeremyA

Scratch everything that I wrote above:

I decided that adding smart names to the MacGPSBabel GUI would be quite easy so, as I have lots to procrastinate about today, I did it.

Email me and I will send you a version of MacGPSBabel that has the smart names feature.

JeremyA

Edited by JeremyA