Colorado Geocoins - Co Geocoins

MrCOgeo

wonder how much this one cost?:

here is the front of the CA geocoin:

it only cost us 2.50 or 3.00 per coin for the first minting quote at 500coins. (ended up with 1250minted) the second order is priced at 2.15 per coins for 500

i work in corel draw and so does pressed metal. they can play around with the image if you send it to them in .cdr format

i also would be happy to send you the bits and pieces that make up the coins i posted (the hiker, a simpler mountain, couple trees, the ammo can)

I asked the same question about some of the scene coins I saw on the Pressed Metal site and he said some of the tooling and artwork consulting reached 1000+ for the run!

Now the multi-layered scene of foothils and mountains are the biggest problem because of getting the texture, hatching and levels right for the engraving.

If we could submit camera-ready high DPI (assuming 300+ DPI) Illustrator (AI v5.5) or .EPS vector with fonts converted to curves and all details final the tooling is $400. Any help with developing the graphics runs $200-500 as quoted.

I don't have the graphic design ability to produce that as I am just cutting and pasting clip-art then using Jasc Paint Shop Pro to approximate a coin. If somebody wants to submit the camera-ready graphic of the coin we can then submit it directly to Pressed Metal to produce a single proof coin for inspection

A stylized scene with black and white is much more do-able in both time and money. As the tooling for the B/W scene as shown is $200. I am happy to try and produce a graphic but just quoting the options as quoted to me. Again any help is appreciated!.

Design ideas, submissions and clip-art can be sent to my email account here:

mrcogeo@adelphia.trash.net (modified address to try and defeat spam, take out the trash.)

Edited by MRCOGEO

All right! :o Here's some more design's from the talented Dillon Gang (Even if they are from California!) :lol:

We can keep pursuing a scene design with "stripes" or levels of textures for the mountains. They are still warning us against outdoor scenes as in their experience they usually don't meet people's expectations.

The Pressed Metal (www.pressedmetal.net) coins are stamped rather than cast (The Washington Coins first minting have a cast base, I believe). By my understanding details are harder to create because of differences in depth.

The coins are sculpted, reduced and scribed onto stamping dies. Given the right artwork and details they can produce pretty much anything but the costs goes up.

So we can accomplish any design we have the orders and resources to create. We will keep plugging along. Final designs and populace(?) vote in the next couple of weeks, maybe??

draft v8

draft_8.jpg

My only suggestion with the new design above, is make the mountains more dominate, after all we have some of the tallest mountains in the US, we should make em look liek that, those look like foothills, other then that these designs are great and give some good choices, I still think I like the stars more tho...

:lol:

:P Where's the Yeti? :)

:P And no Coors cans allowed. :P

:D Would be real cool to have our own coin though. :D

:D Just make me a few Silver Lesher Dollars please while you are at the foundry. ;)

:) Play Dough? :lol:

Might want to take a tour of the American Numismatic Museum website, or museum, if you are in Colorado Springs for ideas.

;) Good Luck. :P

Edited by KEYPERSN

That last one is pretty cool. And I think the big dipper would be cool. But from my personal perspective it reminds me of what cachers see before the go after some of my caches and this is what the see when they finally get up there. Longs Peak and Mt. Meeker are the big ones, the dark ones to the left are Twin Sisters, and to the right is the mummy range. And the little village in the center is Estes Park.

Instead of Coors, how about some Fat Tire Ale!!!

If the Dillon gang wants some pictures from Lake Dillon just let me know and I'll send you some. Or if we need some pictures of the front range for the coin I may have some more.

79294_600.jpg

I was good meeting everybody with my little CO Geocoin display at the Summer CACHE bash. Lots of good questions where raised and even a few ooh's and aahhh's where heard as well. Thanks goes out to all the cachers who are helping with the design process and we will just keep going.

Thanks for the generous help of The Dillon Gang, Tahosa and Sons, CO Admin, AgentK12, Marky, Nurse Dave and all the other emails and contacts I have received.

a picture down lower of the peak you want to see on the coin would be great. i use corel draw to trace the photo and make the mountain. that picture if it was taken below the ridge with the trees would really emphasize the height of Long's Peak

I had some pics taken from a summit near Longs Peak known as Lilly Mtn. but seem to have lost them after the computer went down last month. But I have a picture taken from near Lake Dillon of Peak one. A place I used to hike about 30 years ago.

184a3406-7a51-4e5c-9ac0-37966a70999e.jpg

colorado6.jpg

After talking with Pressed Metal (ordered the CA Geocoins Tuesday), i sent him this design and the last one with the more complicated scene. Alan said that this one is doable but the best was the one with the simple sharp peaks andthe geocacher. i will work on this one to clean it up and perhaps change the peak to one of Tahosa's pictures.

Anybody have a better picture of a blue spruce? or another local tree from the mountains?

Edited by The Dillon Gang
a picture down lower of the peak you want to see on the coin would be great. i use corel draw to trace the photo and make the mountain. that picture if it was taken below the ridge with the trees would really emphasize the height of Long's Peak

I had some pics taken from a summit near Longs Peak known as Lilly Mtn. but seem to have lost them after the computer went down last month. But I have a picture taken from near Lake Dillon of Peak one. A place I used to hike about 30 years ago.

Man, I miss Colorado. I bet they need some nurses!

Man, I miss Colorado. I bet they need some nurses!

Fortunately for me, they also need electronic techs :lol:

I don’t know where everyone went and this may be off topic, but I was wondering why no one really use’s the C.A.C.H.E. forums. It seems it would be much easier.

Back to Topic: When a design is selected I would like to order some, and I will continue to check both forums.

I have to agree with ya, wish more people used them, even tho they are a bit rough.

Pre-order commits: cogeocoins@hotmail.com

Design submissions and artwork: mrcogeo@adelphia.net

As of now we are still taking designs and asking for graphic people to finalize design.

The Dillion Gang has done an incredible job at the graphics .

We are also waiting on word of tracking if not Geocaching.com tracking then an offsite tracking site like a page Marky has provided to redirect to. Maybe someplace on coloradogeocaching.com?

I can submit the final design to Pressed Metal, start taking orders and when we have enough I will submit the order, inform you about when we receive them and ship them out to everybody.

Here in the Groundspeak forums I thought we would get the most response and it's all ready started here so we will just keep it going. I'll try to cross post a little better in the future.

I don’t know where everyone went and this may be off topic, but I was wondering why no one really use’s the C.A.C.H.E. forums. It seems it would be much easier.

Back to Topic: When a design is selected I would like to order some, and I will continue to check both forums.

Becasue they SUCK. I can say that as I host them.

We need better software and a new look. Its on the project list, just need the time

but they really do suck.

Edited by CO Admin
i like them all now i just need to find them

Well when we make them and people start releasing them I hope you find a few, maybe even a bunch.

Designs and interest are coming in and we are forging ahead on the Colorado GeoCOins.

Was nice to meet everybody at the Colorado Geocachers Event and what an event it was, very nice! I am in the process of getting a better graphics set-up here and will start designing again. I don't want to put Steve of the Dillon Gang out of work, though! :)

But the main thing is I am ready (along with a somewhat reluctant girlfriend and local family support) to collect orders, package and ship the coins when they become a reality.

All right, I admit I have another reason for posting as well:

WARNING! SHAMELESS SIG-ITEM PLUG TO FOLLOW! WARNING!

mrcogeotoken_small_real.gif

YOU MAY RETURN TO YOUR NORMAL ON TOPIC CO GEOCOIN DISCUSSION!

Personally, as the first Colorado cache reviewer AND the president of C.A.C.H.E. it would only be fitting to have my portrait on the front side of the coin. perhaps with several cachers bowing down around me???

Just a thought.

For the record you have the full support and resources of C.A.C.H.E. for this venture.

Michael

If this happens, put me down for one. ;)

The adventure is still alive and well!

:ph34r:

Still exploring tracking options with GC.com, travelertags.com, outsourcing to a dedicated web-site etc.

I'll start taking unofficial votes for the design that you would like to see come to reality at:

cogeocoins@hotmail.com

It not a matter of if, just when.

How does one see what y'all have so far?

Looking forward to seeing the final product and buying some. :)

I just got my WA State Geocoins this morning they are beautiful.

Mind you my photo handy work does not do them justice.

wacoin.jpg

NavDog in OR did all the work on our coin (he's the best) and a nice guy.

Pepper

Edited by Team SuperGenius