Colorado Geocoins - Co Geocoins

MrCOgeo

So how is the coin design going and when can we order?  I just might be moving to Colorado Springs (i'll know more tomorrow) and I need a state coin too.

Pepper

It is now tomorrow -- are you moving or not? :laughing:

Well it's looks like we've been put off till January?

So we'll see.

Now about those CO coins, I'm ready.

Pepper

Things are coming along...I have been terrible at posting information and the goings on! I apoligize to the Geo-Community for that lapse and will try to be more informative.

What I need to hear is how important is tracking?

We have some options on site GC.com (CO Admin is working on that), Travelertags.com, offsite on a CO website (I don't have the DB/WEB skills to pull this one off)

In the mean time I'll post the two? main contenders for the design soon.

As always keep emailing interest, comments, opinons to:

cogeocoins@hotmail.com

Design submissions, graphics (anything with attachments or large files) to:

mrcogeo@adelphia.net

Yes, this coin is going to be a 2005 minting!

We have some options on site GC.com (CO Admin is working on that), Travelertags.com, offsite on a CO website (I don't have the DB/WEB skills to pull this one off)

I am 99.9% positive that GC.com won't let you the Colorado Geocoin on their site.

They have turned everyone down who has asked (e.g., California, Washington).

I guess the figured that if they let one State do it, then it would be opening a huge can or worms.

You best off with getting someone to set up your own tracking site.

GOOD LUCK!

p.s., I agree that "State" should be dropped from the design.

Way back when, I offered to track the coins at colorado.geocoin.net and co.geocoin.net. I already have the tracking code and database in place and my offer to host it for free (like I'm doing for California) still stands. I know it's nothing special, but it is free. :grin:

--Marky

P.S. I'm also willing to point the above domains at the web server of your choice, if that is something that you want.

Way back when, I offered to track the coins at colorado.geocoin.net and co.geocoin.net.  I already have the tracking code and database in place and my offer to host it for free (like I'm doing for California) still stands.  I know it's nothing special, but it is free.  :(

--Marky

P.S. I'm also willing to point the above domains at the web server of your choice, if that is something that you want.

Marky, I want to thank you again for your generous offer!

With CO Admin's help we have not had a definite NO to tracking onsite GC.com. Updates to the websites are taking precedence but there is still talk, work, and negotiations about it becoming a reality.

To all we will be holding out for tracking at GC.com until the CO populous demands swag-now and we will go with an offsite tracking.

All I can ask is give it time...or if you are sick and tired of waiting, email me with constructive opinions, comments:

cogeocoins@hotmail.com

I remain open to all suggestions and I am enjoying the process, and I hope you all will enjoy the final product.

Edited by MRCOGEO
Looks nice but I think once it's a coin it will look a little underwhelming since a very large percentage of the coin will just be flat with basically a line drawing on it. I'd think it would look better with some depth and texture in the mountains as a start.

working on the texture stuff this weekend....just playing with embossing previously...think i've figured it out.

<_< What a coin. I hope it turns out great. Looking for trades? If anyone has CA, WA, etc. let me know. The GOWT (Geocachers of West Tennessee) coin will be arriving this week. They should be ready to ship out 1st of January. Would love to trade items.

This Colorado coin seems to be coming around! We had a GREAT deal of trouble and finally wound up with a big NO on GC.com tracking. BUT, the folks at travelertags.com jumped in and helped out a lot. Marky, I wish I had heard of you before I spent 3 months trying to come up with tracking. At some point, I'd love to track our own coins. Perhaps with the next batch or so.

<_< What a coin. I hope it turns out great. Looking for trades? If anyone has CA, WA, etc. let me know. The GOWT (Geocachers of West Tennessee) coin will be arriving this week. They should be ready to ship out 1st of January. Would love to trade items.

This Colorado coin seems to be coming around! We had a GREAT deal of trouble and finally wound up with a big NO on GC.com tracking. BUT, the folks at travelertags.com jumped in and helped out a lot. Marky, I wish I had heard of you before I spent 3 months trying to come up with tracking. At some point, I'd love to track our own coins. Perhaps with the next batch or so.

I'd happily trade a California coin for a GOWT coin, just email me if you're interested.

Sorry but we are not taking orders at this time but I appreciate your interest. :rolleyes:

You can send a email to and I'll put you on the list for notification when we are taking orders. (this is in no way a commitment, so I won't hold you to quanity or anything else)

cogeocoins@hotmail.com

ALSO JAN 05 UPDATE:

We are still working on tracking but the design is coming together with input from the community of a scenic mountain design with Colorado state flag and hiker with various ideas about satellites or constellations. I need to get a final draft out don't I. :rolleyes:

Note: We are working on only one side because the other side is set for production reasons.

MID JAN 05 UPDATE -

We are not taking orders at this time but if you would like to send an estimate on number interested in, which is in no way's a commitment you can send them to:

mrcogeo@DELETETHIS.adelphia.net

***PLEASE PUT IN SUBJECT LINE: CO GEOCOINS

We are waiting on GC.com tracking options, we have not had a definite no and CO Admin is working on that end, busy as ever.

Also to state about money and profits. No one will be making a profit from this venture all money goes to manufacturing, shipping and tracking expenses related directly to the CO GeoCoins. If there is any excess, it will be donated back to the Colorado geocaching community for events or other pertinent community needs.

-----

The design is pretty much final and I'll get a final out when manufacturing and other issues are set.

As for the tracking issue its an on going process and we have not heard a no, if we do we will go with our back up tracking options.

Now of course if the CO GeoCaching community is not interested in tracking through GC.com, by CO geocaching opinion, then we will bypass that option and move directly into offsite tracking and manufacturing. I'll restate that we have not heard a no from GC.com so patience is still a virtue.

Edited by MRCOGEO

If you have a design and are ready to go except the tracking then I think you're wasting your time. I think almost every group has tried to get tracking through gc.com and all have been told no. Even the coin from their own state isn't tracked through them. Is the design final? Shouldn't that be worked on while you're figuring out the tracking stuff?

FEB 2005 - 1st UPDATE

--------------------------

After help from CO Admin and with emails to-and-from Bryan at Groundspeak I am happy to announce tracking on-site at Geocaching.com has been confirmed!

I will get two final designs cleaned up and posted for last comments and suggestions then I will submit the final design to Groundspeak for approval.

We are in the process of finalizing a manufacture as the format of the tracking code is now alpha-numeric. Costs will be available when we are ready to start taking orders.

We are not taking orders at this time But keep those interest emails coming to:

mrcogeo@DELETEUS.adelphia.net

(You can put "CO Geocoins" in the subject)

and I will add you to a one-time email announcement list when we are taking orders. (This is in no way a pre-commit to order of any type)

Thank you for your patience!

Edited by MRCOGEO
After help from CO Admin and with emails to-and-from Bryan at Groundspeak I am happy to announce tracking on-site at Geocaching.com has been confirmed!

Whoa, what the .... Alot of us here in Washington pleaded with the big J for tracking to no avail. How did you get that through?

Peace, Nolenator

WSGA President

There was a thread on the Calgary cachers forum where they're discussing their forthcoming coin. Apparently Groundspeak charges a substantial fee and has certain other conditions with this new policy. A side effect is that they no longer allow their logo for use on coins that are not tracked on gc.com. The email from Groundspeak was posted in the thread there. I'd go get it and paste it in here but I'm too tired I'm going to go crash instead.....

I was curious as to whether a coin under this new system appears on someone's find stats page as a TB or as a unique icon. If it's the latter there would be a heck of a lot of new icons in the next year or two. But I suspect it would just be tracked like a TB. Don't know either way though, I dont believe it addressed that.

The dialog that I received from Bryan Roth of Groundspeak stated it was a new(?) program where organizations could purchase geocoin tracking codes with some reasonable requests linked to copyright and customer service issues.

I don't have access to the email as I am away from my home computer for the weekend but you can contact Groundspeak and they'll give you the specifics.

We had a generous anonymous donation by an interested geo-community member that is going to offset the tracking fee (which is still very reasonable in my opinion) even further, so people will be paying for actual manufacturing and s/h costs.

The manufacture we are looking at is able to etch random alpha-numeric codes and Groundspeak will be contacting them to see about a general die that could be used by other orgs., there by reducing die fees.

So everything is falling in to place with research and inquiries.

My thoughts where as long as people could wait we should try for all the "bells-and-whistles" for tracking not that I am ungrateful for other offers of offsite tracking though.

We are not taking orders at this time But keep those interest emails coming!

and I will add you to a one-time email announcement list when we are taking orders. (This is in no way a pre-commit to order of any type)

FEB MAINTENANCE UPDATE

-----

Sorry about the confusion on email addresses. The hotmail account is no longer valid so please don't send any email to that account.

All interest emails can be sent to:

m_adel.gif - "CO GEOCOINS" in the subject

Sorry I did not post instructions to erase manually "DELETEUS." before sending email. It's a futile(?) attempt to reduce spam, if not manually corrected it comes back as undeliverable.

FEB GRAPHIC UPDATE

-----

Well here is a final draft submitted for your approval on the most popular design with a little added color.

1) Can change text ring to blue if more popular but thought Colorado - root "red" - Can add blue to center "grey" strip for a mountain lake instead of foothill expanse to.

2) The hiker is wearing shorts

3) The forms for the mountains are only aproximate, will probably use a tracing of Tahosa and Sons pics or other fabulous scenic layout.

4) The final draft will go through revisions and changes as I talk to the manufacturer and I will post a production proof graphic along with prices when we are taking orders

cogeocoin_final1.jpg

Edited by MRCOGEO
Well heck, everyone knows that real men cache in shorts.  :ph34r:

Well the rationale behind the change was Coloradoans have a peculiar affinity for the garment even in "cold" conditions. I thought it would bring a little individuallism to our hiker with out any specific gender clue to make people feel out of place. :D;)

Edited by MRCOGEO

MAR 05 UPDATE

-------------------

Got the manufacturer all set with the Colorado side of the coin. We are going to have them produced by the Aaron Charles Inc (www.coinsandpins.com)

Great company, very helpful and willing to work with us on engraving the alpha-numeric codes. (They also handled the idahogeocachers.org, 2004?) Idaho Geocoin)

We are in talks with Groundspeak Inc to see about having a "general" die made so we and other organizations can use an approved logo design and will help with die production costs, a little.

The next update will be ordering information: pricing, final design proofs, order website and procedures!

Thank you for your patience and we will have some really nice coins for Colorado. :huh:

Keep those interest emails coming to be put on a one time notification list for orders:

m_adel.gif - Please put "CO GEOCOINS" in the subject line.

Edited by MRCOGEO

APR 05 UPDATE

-------------------

Got final approval from Groundspeak for design. Final artwork submitted to manufacturer. We are using some mountain, hiker and tree details submitted by cachers (Dillon Gang, Tahosa and Sons, CO Admin...others I may have neglected to mention who supplied development artwok, no disrespect meant) to help in molding 3d scenery section.

Manufacturer will be producing mold, press die and first proof coin for inspection. When completed I will post a picture of the actual coin.

Not taking orders yet but keep those interest/pre-order emails coming, we have a lot as of now all the way from the very beginning! (~2234) :laughing:

It sure would be nice if I could put one of these in the 5 x 5 that will be born on May 5, 2005.  Or maybe you could be the FTF and put one there.

Now that's what I really like, a creative way of asking "Are these things out yet?" :D;) Of course May 05 2005 is quite a ways before the manufacturing "due date" of the coins as they will be probably be in "labor" during the first part of May 05, probably, best guess, in my estimation. :D

But with that Gung-Ho attitude and plenty of Northern CO pride I am sure it will work out that a CO geocoin gets in a newly "born" Tahosa cache for a FTF prize at some point! Thanks again for supplying some great scenery to this effort.