Influx Of Newbies On The Forums

El Diablo

I'v noticed that there have been a lot of newbies on the forums lately. I have also noticed that they are taking active roles in the discussions, rather than lurking. They are even debating people like myself, and brian. I love it!

They are also bringing up a lot of topics that we originally discussed years ago. I beg you old timers not to markwell them, these are age old problems that still need to be hashed out.

Anyways...I would like to welcome all the new forum users and thank you for your input. Also don't let the oldtimers intimidate you. As long as you post polite topics and replies and make them semi intelligent, you will fit in just fine.

El Diablo

As long as you post polite topics and replies and make them semi intelligent, you will fit in just fine.

I thought it was as long as you post pointless rants, cutting insults, and repeatedly demonstrate your ignorance... :lol:

It is good to see other new members coming in and joining the discussions. I lurked for a long time myself before finally starting to post. It's always good to see new opinions, even on the occasional previously hashed-out topics...

As long as you post polite topics and replies and make them semi intelligent, you will fit in just fine.

I thought it was as long as you post pointless rants, cutting insults, and repeatedly demonstrate your ignorance... :lol:

It is good to see other new members coming in and joining the discussions. I lurked for a long time myself before finally starting to post. It's always good to see new opinions, even on the occasional previously hashed-out topics...

I hope that wasnt directed at me :o:lol: .

I qualify as a lurker, and I just can't get enough of these forums. I check them from home as soon as I get there from work, and constantly check them when I have 5 free minutes @ work. I'm a junkie....

Speaking for myself, it can be quite intimidating to enter a discussion here, or ask a question. Questions are Markwelled, or on rare occasions, you are curtly told "already been discussed"....

Yes the forums have a search feature, but alot of times it is quicker to just ask the question, rather than wade through endless search results (especially if your keywords are not quite right, which for most newbies is a guarantee). So your request of 'senior posters' El D, is bang on....

The level of discussions are really great. I like seeing so many things brought up, and occasionally I have even replied, but tend to draw the line at a reply when I see someone taking something way to personal. I'm not out to anger anyone when I reply, but some people just don't want to hear your opinions, even though they solicited them (damned if you do, and damned if you don't).

Of course, there are those out there that just make me LMAO on a continual basis, and to you, I tip my virtual hat....

Yes the forums have a search feature, but alot of times it is quicker to just ask the question, rather than wade through endless search results

Very true and likewise it's often easier for people to Markwell something that has been extensively discussed before, than to address the subject all over again.

Markwelling is not a way of dismissing someone's question as redundant. Its a way of showing someone that the information they are looking for is already out there.

Yes the forums have a search feature, but alot of times it is quicker to just ask the question, rather than wade through endless search results

Very true and likewise it's often easier for people to Markwell something that has been extensively discussed before, than to address the subject all over again.

Markwelling is not a way of dismissing someone's question as redundant. Its a way of showing someone that the information they are looking for is already out there.

That's indeed the way it's intended. However it's not the way it's preceived. We all know that preception is reality.

I also believe that just because it's been discussed in the past, dosen't mean we can't hear new ideas on the subject.

El Diablo

I hope that wasnt directed at me

Even if it had been aimed at you, just pretend you didn't notice. Life goes on.

The level of discussions are really great. I like seeing so many things brought up, and occasionally I have even replied, but tend to draw the line at a reply when I see someone taking something way to personal. I'm not out to anger anyone when I reply, but some people just don't want to hear your opinions, even though they solicited them (damned if you do, and damned if you don't).

I've already noted your avatar, and your discussions. 'Preciate ya.

We all know that preception is reality.

Oh, I GOTTA disagree with that one! When a business operates under that premise, it is a way of pressuring employees. Perception, often, is NOT reality.

That's indeed the way it's intended. However it's not the way it's preceived. We all know that preception is reality.

I also believe that just because it's been discussed in the past, dosen't mean we can't hear new ideas on the subject.

El Diablo

There are a lot of subjects that have been discussed repeatedly and so thoroughly that its unlikely that anybody can add anything. If someone wants to know about bringing GPS's on an airline, or who invented geocaching, or if its OK to put a pocket knife in a cache, or whether geocaching is a sport, etc... a simple Markwell will give him all the info he needs without the OP having to wait for other responses.

If they take it the wrong way, then I don't know what to say other than they should grow a thicker skin. Once in a while I've seen markwells used to to spank the OP for not using the search function, but 90 percent of them are meant to be helpful. Heck, markwells are named after a guy who has built a reputation for being one of the nicest and most helpful people in the forums.

El Diablo

There are a lot of subjects that have been discussed repeatedly and so thoroughly that its unlikely that anybody can add anything. If someone wants to know about bringing GPS's on an airline, or who invented geocaching, or if its OK to put a pocket knife in a cache, or whether geocaching is a sport, etc... a simple Markwell will give him all the info he needs without the OP having to wait for other responses.

If they take it the wrong way, then I don't know what to say other than they should grow a thicker skin. Once in a while I've seen markwells used to to spank the OP for not using the search function, but 90 percent of them are meant to be helpful. Heck, markwells are named after a guy who has built a reputation for being one of the nicest and most helpful people in the forums.

You and I are at odds a lot lately. Are you trying to take RK's place?

I humbly disagree that there is nothing to add to a topic. Just because a dozen people have had their say dosen't mean that it has covered all angles.

Even the Constitution of the United States is occasionally amended, and it's been discussed way more than the topics in these forums. :lol:

El Diablo

As Brian pointed out, markwelling newbies is not necessarily an end to a discussion. The very fact that they are newbies implies that histories of popular debates and questions may be unknown to them. Markwelling a newbie is a great way to fuel him for further, intelligent, informed discussion.

Yes, the newbies (I hate that word!) are active. I enjoy the opinions and questions generated by our newcomers, and I encourage their participation in the forums. Often times we see a fresh perspective in these posts.

(El Diablo @ Jul 13 2004, 08:30 PM)

If you are going to add a new chapter to history, then it's only right that you be able to see the old history as well.

For those newbies who aren’t sure what it means to be markwelled, it’s really not a bad thing:

Markwelled (according to the Geocaching.com glossary )

When a response to a new post in the forums points you to a similar topic in the past. Based on the user Markwell . :o:lol:

Edited by sept1c_tank
I humbly disagree that there is nothing to add to a topic. Just because a dozen people have had their say dosen't mean that it has covered all angles.

I didn't say all topics, but seriously, what new perspective can someone really add to discussions about whether it should be OK to place caches while on vacation, or what TNLNSL means, or how to use your PDA to go paperless?

I didn't say all topics, but seriously, what new perspective can someone really add to discussions about whether it should be OK to place caches while on vacation, or what TNLNSL means, or how to use your PDA to go paperless?

Not a thing. However you also know what I mean about people Markwelling old topics. I agree that there are some topics that there are no need for further discussion.

El Diablo

That is probably more my point about a Markwell. Some subjects should just be killed. What would we do if threads only had a limited lifetime, and were permanently removed (archived), like some other forums. After all, disk space is finite....

As I said above, I have never even looked at the glossary, which is a fault I admit. Someone may have a question about going paperless, which is more relevant today than it was 6 months ago, because someone has built a better widget (I'm not trying to use the PDA example to pick on)...

I myself have written my own application that produces all the outputs I need for a day of caching (and I'm not tooting my own horn here), but someday, someone may ask something about this very type of thing, that I might be able to help with. I would sure hate to miss that opportunity because they were referred to an old thread that really had no bearing on what the person wanted to ask, and therefore let their question rest....

First off, let's get back on topic. This thread isn't about Markwelling. It's about the new posters, and giving them a welcome. Paticularly welcoming their input.

El Diablo

El D,

You yourself may be part of the reason more new people are utilizing this part of the site more and more. Your e-zine is linked to every new cache notification. Awareness that there is more than just hiding and finding going on is evident in your publication. :lol:

SNOOGAV.jpg

Questions, answers and discussions serve a social function. That is what draws people to a forum. If everyone could look something up to get an answer, the forum would lose this social function that cements our commnity and adds vigor to it. The give and take, the jokes, even the arguing, is all part of the process. Humans need to be mentors. Many times it's really more important to discuss things and not necessarily trying to get an answer to a question.

El D,

You yourself may be part of the reason more new people are utilizing this part of the site more and more. Your e-zine is linked to every new cache notification. Awareness that there is more than just hiding and finding going on is evident in your publication. :rolleyes:

No offense to El D...

Today's Cacher isn't his zine, nor is it mine...it's ours, meaning that it belongs to the geocaching community. TC's staff isn't solely responsible for the articles; they come from such diverse sources as your average Joe Cacher to some of the more prolific and well-known cachers. To keep this on topic, I thought posting the URL would be a good reminder for newbies to check out the magazine.

Welcome, newbie-type peeps!

Questions, answers and discussions serve a social function. That is what draws people to a forum. If everyone could look something up to get an answer, the forum would lose this social function that cements our commnity and adds vigor to it. The give and take, the jokes, even the arguing, is all part of the process. Humans need to be mentors. Many times it's really more important to discuss things and not necessarily trying to get an answer to a question.

Something that all new husbands need to learn (and some never do). She doesn't want you to fix her problem. She wants you to empathize and talk. Some post just to touch base with people. And if you are seeing blue submarines, you might need some sleep.

I qualify as a lurker, and I just can't get enough of these forums. I check them from home as soon as I get there from work, and constantly check them when I have 5 free minutes @ work. I'm a junkie....

Speaking for myself, it can be quite intimidating to enter a discussion here, or ask a question. Questions are Markwelled, or on rare occasions, you are curtly told "already been discussed"....

Yes the forums have a search feature, but alot of times it is quicker to just ask the question, rather than wade through endless search results (especially if your keywords are not quite right, which for most newbies is a guarantee). So your request of 'senior posters' El D, is bang on....

Of course, there are those out there that just make me LMAO on a continual basis, and to you, I tip my virtual hat....

I'm with the Moose. I'm also a lurking newbie who thouroughly (sp?) enjoys the forums. It's my prime form of entertainment when I'm at home. But for now I will slink off into the shadows... :rolleyes::unsure::ph34r:

New blood and new ideas never hurt a thing. Maybe we can get knives back in caches. Those were always one of the better trade items.

I wondered about knives when I found a big honkin hunting knife in one of my first caches. My best guess was that it was not a safe thing for a child to stumble across and so I took it even though my toy car keychain was not quite an equivalent trade. I also took a condom out of a cache without mentioning it anywhere since I thought it too might not be a good trade item.

Anyway, as a noob here, I really appreciate the open and welcoming atmosphere of this board.

As a moderator on another very active MINI Cooper related site (www.northamericanmotoring.com), I have a good bit of experience with how forums function, and I always feel that it is a good thing to allow continuous discussion of topics that may be viewed as beating a dead horse to those with multi-thousands of posts.

Thing I like about this recreation is the pioneers are doing a good job of welcoming the new blood. This is not the case in a lot of other recreations or messege boards. I wouldn't call myself a newbie, I've been lurking and caching for over a year. I see the same topics over and over, and the same time I can remember wanting to know such information, and I'm still learning.

BTW, surely those little promotional swiss army knives are accepted. I thought about making those a sig item.

Edited by Iplayoutside

Well, I'm a "newbie" since I've only been at this for three months. There is a lot I don't know. I do not frequent these forums, but when I want to know something I post. So far, this has worked. I just have to sort through some wise guy comments but someone usually helps. I don't care if the old timers have seen it all before. There's always someone out there that just can't wait to tell you how mighty they are and how like an insect you are.

Every opinon, whether from an old timer or newbie is appreciated. Sometimes the newbies are intimidated by the oldtimers. They shouldn't be. We all started at some date in time and worked our way up in the forums. The newbie opinon is as valid as the oldtimers.

What I'm trying to say is, don't be afraid to voice your opinon. Some will agree with what you have to say, some will disagree. So be it.

Just beacause we have been around in the forums since way back when, dosen't mean we are always right.

I love the fact that some newbies to the forums are speaking up! These forums belong to all cachers.

El Diablo

Thanks, i was chewed out for argueing. But it all worked out in the end! ;)

Just shrug it off ..... a lot of us have been through the same :(

There's nothing wrong with linking or quoting an answer, or suggesting they search.

Thorin

Edited by thorin

Hi all

One of the newbies here but will fast become a pro :( Just wanted to say hi and good luck to all newbies out there don't let anybody get ya down always some bad apples in a group this size but so far nothing but good has come out of this for me. Great group of people and pleasure to be part of forum and cache-ing

Team Terrere ;)

Have fun and keep it clean!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the warm welcome. I hope I can be as gracious someday. Not that numbers matter but many newbies seem to have more finds then you for their short career as cachers So does experance, which really comes down to number of cache found or does the armchair cacher of many moons make a better cacher????

Sorry just tripped my trigger.

cheers

You know, I've often heard that these forums can be intimidating and sometimes cruel. I just don't see it ... if you look around at some of the posts, you'll see a lot of interesting and helpful information. If you are concerned about being ridiculed, then try posting in the 'Abject Silliness' thread where almost anything goes and no one cares. Then you can work up to the more challenging threads like "Is Nudecacher Considered A Locationless". :P Also, don't let one poster turn you off ... for every negative poster there are at least 10 positive or helpful posters. So post on and don't worry, be happy and say whats on your mind.

Thanks to El D for the welcome. I was a newbie who started a thread right off the bat and was pummelled around a bit--most likely deserved it, though! (see http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=70709)

I actually enjoyed the give and take, because it showed how intelligent and well-meaning most cachers are.

It's difficult if not impossible to post a thought or topic publicly to a large population without giving offense to somebody; the public speakers at Hyde Park in London take heckling as a matter of course, and I would suggest that forum posters be prepared for the same, and take it with good humor. After all, it isn't as if you are being torn apart by wolves or hung by your feet. An occasional verbal sparring session can even sharpen your wit and thinking.

Without exception, those with whom I've sparred in the past have shown in other posts and topics to be generous with their knowledge and thoughtful in their replies. It's a good group, if prickly on occasion.

Edited by Barnstable