Event Caches

avroair

I had a recent event where I placed 9 caches that were theme specific to that event. I had planned on making them permanent, however some stages and cache containers were trashed during the event. I therefore disabled some for replacing in the near future and archived some others. I was told I had breached GC.com guidelines.

I noticed at the geojamboree in Connecticut that the kids caches was a double log on the event cache page. Is this the way it should be done?

My question is:

What is the best way to handle event caches designed to be temporary?

I would prefer not to get into a discussion over the merits or pitfalls of temporary caches in general, I would like clarification on how I should be doing this for future reference.

Avroair

What some of the cachers in South East Texas have done is create you normal permanent cache like you normally do. After it is approved, you can take a second/copy of that cache to events with you, hide it near by; pass out the “temp” coordinates, and anyone that finds it logs it on the “normal/permanent” page.

Keep in mind that the original cache NEVER moves and is ALWAYS at the posted coordinates. You make a second cache to take to events and such.

You're probably one of those guys that logs a "find"  when you visit your own caches for maintenance, aren't you? :o

No, I don't log those as finds...cuz I don't want everyone to know I took all the good stuff and left old range balls. :lol:

Back to the "real" subject...there are differnt opinions on this and your best bet is to follow what is standard in your area. In the end, the cache owner is the only one who can determine how a cache is to be logged.

Edited by Stunod
Why? You only found the event once.

I tihnk the poster was saying that there was the one event cache but also a number of actual caches set up for the event, so you find the event and then find the caches that have been placed for that day. I've seen this done near me, and people claim the even cache and each of the special caches they have found.

Why? You only found the event once.

I tihnk the poster was saying that there was the one event cache but also a number of actual caches set up for the event, so you find the event and then find the caches that have been placed for that day. I've seen this done near me, and people claim the even cache and each of the special caches they have found.

I'm sure glad it's not about the numbers in my area. It doesn't matter how many "temporary" caches there are at an event, the event can only be "found" once.

There are plenty of reasons for not claiming a find on a temporary cache. One of them is that the temp. cache is not listed on GC.com. Would you log a find here for a cache you found listed on another site? That's the same thing, except the "other site" is a page handed out at the event.

Ya I know it's done, but it's just silly. I think the temperary caches for an event are an event activity. And thus part of the one find you get for an event. Just like you wouldn't log a find for the TB table and another find for the buffet line.

On the main topic, I heard on of caches was on top of a rock next to or in a creek or something like that. There is no way that could have been placed with a permanent placement in mind and thus against the guidelines. If they were all placed within the guide lines you should replace them instead of archive them after such a short period of time.

On the main topic, I heard on of caches was on top of a rock next to or in a creek or something like that. There is no way that could have been placed with a permanent placement in mind and thus against the guidelines. If they were all placed within the guide lines you should replace them instead of archive them after such a short period of time.

Yeah, it is rather suspicious how the closest 3 caches to the event have been disabled or archived. Skirting the guidelines, Avroair?

Notice that 3 of the 4 caches by Captain Avroair are disabled after the pirate-themed event.

I've seen multiple logs of temp caches on event cache pages. It's not something I'd do, because to me its one cache, one log, but I wouldn't criticize someone who does it, because it does seem to be a common practice in some areas.

I think the best way to do it is to place permanent caches for the event. If you want to eventually archive them, I think if you wait at least 6 months to do so, you probably won't get spanked by your local admin. If one goes missing in the meanwhile, it's a good excuse to archive it.

Edited by briansnat

I agree that it depends on what is accepted in the area and what the Event Owner allows.

'Round these parts, you are allowed to make a log for showing up at the event, and also separate logs for each of the temporary caches you find. Some people log them, some don't, but multiple logs are allowed and encouraged.

The Event Owner is also allowed to log that they attended the event. For many events, it's an organization that puts on the event, but one person has to take the job of creating the event page. Why should they not be able to log the event if they attend?

And no, I don't log finds for my own caches.

Okay to clarify since GPSaxaphone missed the point:

Say you have an event with a kids cache at the event which is temporary.

The kids who find the kids cache have no where to log it. So they log the event AND then log the Kids Cache clearly marking it as such.

Get it now? :lol:

Why should they not be able to log the event if they attend?

Because they already got a bump in their numbers for the "hide"

It's not about the numbers response:

What difference does it really make how it's logged? I'd actually rather not get credit for a hide, especially since I really didn't hide anything. I suppose it doesn't matter, but for consistency with everyone else, being able to log my attendence atthe event as a "find" seems appropriate.

It's all about the numbers response:

If I show up for an event, I want credit for being there. If I do a little extra work to help set it up, having the extra "bump" in my numbers is a nice reward for helping out.

Okay to clarify since GPSaxaphone missed the point:

Say you have an event with a kids cache at the event which is temporary.

The kids who find the kids cache have no where to log it. So they log the event AND then log the Kids Cache clearly marking it as such.

Get it now? :lol:

I'm pretty sure he got it. So you find temperary caches. So you play some baseball. So you grill some hotdogs. It's all part of the event and equals one find.

We can see it differs depending on what area you live in. Odd that.

What difference does it really make how it's logged? I'd actually rather not get credit for a hide, especially since I really didn't hide anything.

But since you got credit for the hide, you shouldn't also get credit for a find.

I think most people are missing the point here. Taking a look at the OP's hides. It looks like out of the 9 he placed for the event, 6 are archived and 3 are disabled. Since I'm fairly close by, I just went and checked my old weekly cache notifications. None were listed the Thursday before the event, nor are the listed the Thursday after the event. That and the fact they were only logged on the day of the event, it sure looks like they were only posted for that day then removed.

You can debate the issue of logging unlisted temp caches to the event page (I don't, I consider them part of the event fun), but that's not the case here. These seem to be one day only caches listed on the site, and the guidelines are pretty clear that's not allowed.

When you report a cache on the Geocaching.com web site, geocachers should (and will) expect the cache to be there for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move (“traveling caches”), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for events) may not be approved. If you wish to hide caches for an event, bring printouts to the event and hand them out there.

What difference does it really make how it's logged? I'd actually rather not get credit for a hide, especially since I really didn't hide anything.

But since you got credit for the hide, you shouldn't also get credit for a find.

Why not? You were there, right? Your logic isn't logical. A find doesn't count as a hide, and a hide doesn't count as a find, so how can getting credit for a hide have anything to do with getting credit for a find? As was previously posted, often events are put together by a group or organization, but one person makes out the event page. They didn't hide the event, but they attended. As far as that goes, all a "Found It" note on an event page means is that they attended. By your logic, since they "hid" the event, they are not allowed to be counted as attending. An event is a totally different ballgame compared to a traditional (or virtual) hide, therefore, logging a find for an event is also totally different. Whether you set it up or not, you attended, you should get your smiley on the cache page.

I think most people are missing the point here. Taking a look at the OP's hides. It looks like out of the 9 he placed for the event, 6 are archived and 3 are disabled.

You can debate the issue of logging unlisted temp caches to the event page (I don't, I consider them part of the event fun), but that's not the case here. These seem to be one day only caches listed on the site, and the guidelines are pretty clear that's not allowed.

I don't think the OP is arguing the fact that they became temporary at all. He's even posted in a thread or the event cache page asking if folks would adopt some of the caches. The OP's question has to do with the best way, in the future, to handle this aspect of an event where there might not be permanent caches.

You posted that you think these temp caches are part of the event. That is what he was asking, so I don't think others missed the point as others responded to the same question. He wasn't looking for the guidelines as he knows them and has placed many caches previous to the event.

You couldn't make the event, but a tremendous effort was put into determining the placement, creating innovative cache containers and placing the caches. There were some that probably wouldn't last based on the type/location of the cache even if you wanted them to, but they were awesome to hunt and find and there wasn't a person there that walked away thinking this wasn't a tremendous event with a tremendous effort put in by the OP, especially with regard to the caches.

There are no caches I have yet logged multiple finds against, but I've seen caches where it's been done and even mentioned on the cache page. Since I went out, sought caches that were placed and given coords, and found them just as I would find any other cache, I can understand the desire to log those caches as finds.

There are some folks that come to events of this kind (vs say a Beer and Wings event) for the social aspects, some that come for the caching aspect and probably most that come for some of both.

Getting back on topic, I think the OP was looking for options & opinions on what others have seen/done in this specific type of situation. Since it's *his* event, he can do what he wants and can definitely allow multiple finds for "temp" caches. Are there other options that might be better?

Why not? You were there, right? Your logic isn't logical. A find doesn't count as a hide, and a hide doesn't count as a find, so how can getting credit for a hide have anything to do with getting credit for a find? As was previously posted, often events are put together by a group or organization, but one person makes out the event page. They didn't hide the event, but they attended. As far as that goes, all a "Found It" note on an event page means is that they attended. By your logic, since they "hid" the event, they are not allowed to be counted as attending. An event is a totally different ballgame compared to a traditional (or virtual) hide, therefore, logging a find for an event is also totally different. Whether you set it up or not, you attended, you should get your smiley on the cache page.

Your logic doesn't make sense at all. If you're at an event, you get credit for it. If you are hosting the event, your credit is on your "hide" count. If you are not hosting it, it goes in your "find" count. With your logic, if you're hosting an event you get double credit- once for the hide and once for the find.

If your local group is hosting the event, one person is designated as the "owner" and gets credit for attending in their "hide" count. You could set up a sock puppet account for your local group so you can all "find" the cache and no one is really the "owner".

OK, I'm intrigued, maybe perplexed.

The All Ohio Geoevent is today at a farm/park in Delaware.

The cache, EIEIO, has existed there for a long time.

So, we can log the Event, and we can log EIEIO, but if there are temporary cache pages handed out at the event, they are not loggable, they are the Event. I think I get it.

What I don't get, is "Why don't we have a single standard?" :rolleyes:

Your logic doesn't make sense at all. If you're at an event, you get credit for it. If you are hosting the event, your credit is on your "hide" count. If you are not hosting it, it goes in your "find" count. With your logic, if you're hosting an event you get double credit- once for the hide and once for the find.

If your local group is hosting the event, one person is designated as the "owner" and gets credit for attending in their "hide" count. You could set up a sock puppet account for your local group so you can all "find" the cache and no one is really the "owner".

That's why I created you! :rolleyes:

OK, I'm intrigued, maybe perplexed.

The All Ohio Geoevent is today at a farm/park in Delaware.

The cache, EIEIO, has existed there for a long time.

So, we can log the Event, and we can log EIEIO, but if there are temporary cache pages handed out at the event, they are not loggable, they are the Event. I think I get it.

What I don't get, is "Why don't we have a single standard?" :rolleyes:

Because there aren't "rules" there are quidelines and standards. And in some places more is accepted as a way to get smileys than in other places.

At geoevents I've seen many log the event multiple times. I put on an event a couple of months ago where I hid a group of many caches in the area. All would have been approved as caches by themselves as they were all within geocaching guidelines but I wanted them just for the event.

We also sign our own events as a find here in our area and have for a long time. There is no rule against such things, just opinions.

Okay, I think I have some options open for future events. Thanks for the input.

On an endnote:

I logged my event as an 'attended' since I did indeed attend the event. If the wording was found I would have just posted a thankyou note. But it says attended, not found.

BTW: I will be replacing the 6 archived with new permanent containers next Tuesday for anyone wanting to hunt for them. My containers for the event were themed (pirate chests etc) and didn't last the abuse of 40 finds in one day.

Wish I had known the option beforehand ;), but you learn from mistakes :(