Mapopolis Maps, And Other Pocket Pc Programs

Tiki_Guy

I got Mapopolis and a Dell Axim X30H with 624Mhz with 64 MB of Program memory, 64 MB of onboard storage and a 512MB SD card.

I want to have all of New England available on my Pocket PC but I don't want to use all Six states at the same time. I had all the maps from the 6 NE states in one folder but I had a hard time finding the counties I needed. Most of the time I only need 4 one in NH and 3 in MA.

I had some problems and did a hard reset and copied the maps by state. But it seems that if change the directory for NH to MA (Or CT) I loose the maps I loaded in NH? How do you manage this?

I get "Memory Low" a lot when I run Mapopolis. I have 22.86 MB allocated for Storage and 40.55 for Program files, of the 64. I only have 10.59pm in use in the main memory. Should I allocate all of my free memory for Programs?

I bought GPS Tuner 3.5 for Geocaching which seems to work well. But on the Cashe I did today it seems to jump around a lot. Put the GPS on a stump and watched the distance go from 4ft to 40ft when the thing never moved, is this normal? There was lot of tree cover in the area. Other times the GPS seems off by 14 to 20ft. Where do you get maps for that. (I use an otterbox to make the PPC waterproof for Geocaching, and I have a Bluetooth earthmate GPS).

I got the the Delorme Pocket Streets program with the Earthmate, but I haven't been able to use it for navigation. The maps seemed off, and it didn't let me rout long distances. It would tell me to turn after the turn, and if I wanted to rout to Boston (40 miles from home) it said that I needed compleate maps, which I have. I think I have a 30 money back gaurentee on that I might try and return it. Though I liked the PC version. Mapopolis seems to work well. for navigation, but the memory issue bothers me.

*deep breath* Ok here we go:

I got Mapopolis and a Dell Axim X30H with 624Mhz with 64 MB of Program memory, 64 MB of onboard storage and a 512MB SD card.

Me too. Its a sweet machine no?

I want to have all of New England available on my Pocket PC but I don't want to use all Six states at the same time.

What I do is use Total Commander to "zip" the maps I dont want to see. Zipping them basically puts them in a drawer that Mapopolis cant see. So when the program loads, it only finds those maps that are not zipped. When I need a different map, I'll just unzip the maps.zip, pull out the few I need and zip it back up. Very nice, quick, clean solution.

I had some problems and did a hard reset and copied the maps by state. But it seems that if change the directory for NH to MA (Or CT) I loose the maps I loaded in NH? How do you manage this?

Not sure whats going on here. Perhaps a soft reset would take care of it?

get "Memory Low" a lot when I run Mapopolis. I have 22.86 MB allocated for Storage and 40.55 for Program files, of the 64. I only have 10.59pm in use in the main memory. Should I allocate all of my free memory for Programs?

I've never had this problem. I wonder if its because you have so many maps available to Mapopolis. I'd guess that if you were to zip as mentioned above, this issue might go away.

I bought GPS Tuner 3.5 for Geocaching which seems to work well. But on the Cashe I did today it seems to jump around a lot. Put the GPS on a stump and watched the distance go from 4ft to 40ft when the thing never moved, is this normal?

Yep. Totally depends on a whole host of factors. Thats why gc.com requires that you "average" coords before posting them for a cache. I use GPSTuner too and usually will let it go for five minutes or so before accepting the final values.

Other times the GPS seems off by 14 to 20ft. Where do you get maps for that.

Not sure what you mean here. Maps for what? The 14 - 20ft though is perfectly within spec for our consumer grade gps units.

I got the the Delorme Pocket Streets program with the Earthmate, but I haven't been able to use it for navigation. The maps seemed off, and it didn't let me rout long distances. It would tell me to turn after the turn, and if I wanted to rout to Boston (40 miles from home) it said that I needed complete maps, which I have. I think I have a 30 money back guarantee on that I might try and return it. Though I liked the PC version. Mapopolis seems to work well. for navigation, but the memory issue bothers me.

Mapopolis is the only tool I use. It has never failed me. The maps-by-county thing can be annoying, but beyond that it works just fine. Hopefully the tips I've mentioned above will help with the memory issue.

Hope that helps!

I load the maps on my SD card not into the Mapopolis program. If you're using the Sync way of tranferring, the maps will go into the Mapopolis program section eating up memory. Cut and paste them from the program section into a Mapopolis folder you create on the SD card.

If you've selected too may maps (over 20M popluation), Mapoplis limits that map swletion. That might be causing your problem.

Also, you can select multiple maps by clicking each one in Map Select. But make sure you have the Open Adjacent maps unchecked or the program will open too many in one area and not let yhou open the others you need.

Also, keep the Major Roads map for each state. That's allow you to find towns and counties which you can then open sleectivally.

Hope some of this helped.

By the way you can use gpxtomaplets program to create icons for the your PPC of all the caches.

Edited by Alan2

I have all my maps on the SD card also. What I did this morning was make a new folder called "Home" in my "Maps" Folder with the 4 counties I'm most likely to be in. I also have folders for all the counties in MA, NH, ME, CT, RI and New York City (will fly or take the train there), and the 3 counties near Orlando (Flying there).

If I select open all adjcent it only works within the same directory. So I can use that in the HOME folder and only get Rockingham, Essex, Middlesex and York counties.

Other times the GPS seems off by 14 to 20ft. Where do you get maps for that.

Not sure what you mean here. Maps for what? The 14 - 20ft though is perfectly within spec for our consumer grade gps units.

Really two obesvations in the same sentance. I asked the question after being up for almost 24 hours. First I noticed that it was consistantly off the same amount, and with waas I thought it was supposed to be accurate to 1 meter. I was thinking that maybe everything was off by 20 ft in the same direction. Or maybe the GPX and LOC files are truncated to about 10 meters accuracy.

2nd question was about maps, with GPS tuner you can import maps, but the one on it is a world map, and at the highest zoom everyplace I go is almost on top of each other. From the web there is a link to maps but they were all in Europe. I would like a small not verry detailed map of Massichussetts, or New England or the east coast. Version 3.5 uses the Terasever but I haven't been able to make anything out with those. Just looks like a grey blob, not sure how to magnify.

Thanks