Feature Enhancement: States

tobsas

In our case (Austria, 536 caches by yesterday) this could be easyily done either by the cache owners (in this case, a tenth possibility "not yet allocated" would be needed for the time being) or by volunteers (in that case, count me in).

BS

The idea is great and I agree with BalkanSabranje. If another Austrian volunteer is needed - here i am :lol:

Dunja

Count me if you need volunteers to categorize italian caches. The italian geocaching community is growing very fast, we really need caches categorized into regions and an italian speaking forum. Count on me for any kind of job.

Markino

I agree with Markino - the Italian geocaching community and number of caches is is growing.

There will soon be the need for a regional separation of caches before they increase to a point for which it will require time to categorize. Please count me in for any work you may require on this. :lol:

With the expanding numbers of geocachers also an Italian discussion forum would be great! :lol:

M.

I can help you to add belgian's post codes too. How ?

Maybe here? It doesn't look like there is much interest for this.

Greetings,

Tobias

PS: Just as a help, if you know that already, forget that I wrote this: If you're not sure if a topic was already discussed you can use the search function of the forum: On the upper right hand side of this screen you find "search". My suggestion is to set the "Search posts from..." to at least "180 days ago and..." and to try diffrent spelling as "ZIP" shows no results but "zipcodes" brought the mentioned thread.

List Belgian provinces.

Brussel/Bruxelles ®

Brabant Wallon

Hi guys,

thanks a lot for bringing the belgian provinces to life :P

However, from habots' list, you forgot Brussels, which is the capital of Belgium but not part of any province, it's a "region" on its own. Could you add it as well?

Also, a small cosmetic thing :lol: : to be coherent with other names, "Brabant Wallon" should be with a capital letter on both words. For the moment, it says "Brabant wallon", without capital on the second letter.

Thanks a lot,

Jiheffe

South Africa:

Provinces:

Gauteng

Northern Province

Mpumalanga

Northern Cape

Western Cape

Eastern Cape

KwaZulu-Natal

Limpopo

North-West Province

Free State

Each province is sub-divided into magisterial districts, usually taking on the name of the town around which they are centred.

The provinces are vast areas.

Even the national parks and reserves are unbelievably large! For instance - Kruger National Park is bigger then the country of Israel! That's a lot of space in which to find a cache!!!! :P

Provinces of France:

Nord-Pas-de-Calais, Picardy, Normandy, Brittany, Pays de la Loire, Poitou-Charentes, Aquitaine, Pyrenees, Languedoc Roussillon, Provence, Corsica, Rhone-Alpes, Auvergne, Limousin, Loire Valley, Bourgogne, Franche Comté, Champagne Ardenne, Ile de France, Alsace, Lorraine

But only régional areas ;)

Geographical intitut : IGN (Institut Géographique National).

Maps links (IGN)

sFranceA2.gif sFranceA3.gif sFranceA1.gif

many others (low quality)

French departements : (sorry long list)

Number - name (regional area)

01 - Ain (Rhône-Alpes)

02 - Aisne (Picardie)

03 - Allier (Auvergne)

04 - Alpes de Hautes-Provence (Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur)

05 - Hautes-Alpes (Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur)

06 - Alpes-Maritimes (Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur)

07 - Ardèche (Rhône-Alpes)

08 - Ardennes (Champagne-Ardenne)

09 - Ariège (Midi-Pyrénées)

10 - Aube (Champagne-Ardenne)

11 - Aude (Languedoc-Roussillon)

12 - Aveyron (Midi-Pyrénées)

13 - Bouches-du-Rhône (Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur)

14 - Calvados (Basse-Normandie)

15 - Cantal (Auvergne)

16 - Charente (Poitou-Charentes)

17 - Charente-Maritime (Poitou-Charentes)

18 - Cher (Centre)

19 - Corrèze (Limousin)

2A - Corse-du-Sud (Corse)

2B - Haute-Corse (Corse)

21 - Côte-d'Or (Bourgogne)

22 - Côtes d'Armor (Bretagne)

23 - Creuse (Limousin)

24 - Dordogne (Aquitaine)

25 - Doubs (Franche-Comté)

26 - Drôme (Rhône-Alpes)

27 - Eure (Haute-Normandie)

28 - Eure-et-Loir (Centre)

29 - Finistère (Bretagne)

30 - Gard (Languedoc-Roussillon)

31 - Haute-Garonne (Midi-Pyrénées)

32 - Gers (Midi-Pyrénées)

33 - Gironde (Aquitaine)

34 - Hérault (Languedoc-Roussillon)

35 - Ille-et-Vilaine (Bretagne)

36 - Indre (Centre)

37 - Indre-et-Loire (Centre)

38 - Isère (Rhône-Alpes)

39 - Jura (Franche-Comté)

40 - Landes (Aquitaine)

41 - Loir-et-Cher (Centre)

42 - Loire (Rhône-Alpes)

43 - Haute-Loire (Auvergne)

44 - Loire-Atlantique (Pays de la Loire)

45 - Loiret (Centre)

46 - Lot (Midi-Pyrénées)

47 - Lot-et-Garonne (Aquitaine)

48 - Lozère (Languedoc-Roussillon)

49 - Maine-et-Loire (Pays de la Loire)

50 - Manche (Basse-Normandie)

51 - Marne (Champagne-Ardenne)

52 - Haute-Marne (Champagne-Ardenne)

53 - Mayenne (Pays de la Loire)

54 - Meurthe-et-Moselle (Lorraine)

55 - Meuse (Lorraine)

56 - Morbihan (Bretagne)

57 - Moselle (Lorraine)

58 - Nièvre (Bourgogne)

59 - Nord (Nord-Pas-de-Calais)

60 - Oise (Picardie)

61 - Orne (Basse-Normandie)

62 - Pas-de-Calais (Nord-Pas-de-Calais)

63 - Puy-de-Dôme (Auvergne)

64 - Pyrénées-Atlantiques (Aquitaine)

65 - Hautes-Pyrénées (Midi-Pyrénées)

66 - Pyrénées-Orientales (Languedoc-Roussillon)

67 - Bas-Rhin (Alsace)

68 - Haut-Rhin (Alsace)

69 - Rhône (Rhône-Alpes)

70 - Haute-Saône (Franche-Comté)

71 - Saône-et-Loire (Bourgogne)

72 - Sarthe (Pays de la Loire)

73 - Savoie (Rhône-Alpes)

74 - Haute-Savoie (Rhône-Alpes)

75 - Paris (Ile-de-France)

76 - Seine-Maritime (Haute-Normandie)

77 - Seine-et-Marne (Ile-de-France)

78 - Yvelines (Ile-de-France)

79 - Deux-Sèvres (Poitou-Charentes)

80 - Somme (Picardie)

81 - Tarn (Midi-Pyrénées)

82 - Tarn-et-Garonne (Midi-Pyrénées)

83 - Var (Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur)

84 - Vaucluse (Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur)

85 - Vendée (Pays de la Loire)

86 - Vienne (Poitou-Charentes)

87 - Haute-Vienne (Limousin)

88 - Vosges (Lorraine)

89 - Yonne (Bourgogne)

90 - Territoire-de-Belfort (Franche-Comté)

91 - Essonne (Ile-de-France)

92 - Hauts-de-Seine (Ile-de-France)

93 - Seine-Saint-Denis (Ile-de-France)

94 - Val-de-Marne (Ile-de-France)

95 - Val-d'Oise (Ile-de-France)

For Luxemburg (Grand Duché du Luxembourg) :

Canton (District)

Capellen (Luxembourg)

Clervaux (Diekirch)

Diekirch (Diekirch)

Echternach (Grevenmacher)

Esch-sur-Alzette (Luxembourg)

Grevenmacher (Grevenmacher)

Luxembourg (Luxembourg)

Mersch (Luxembourg)

Redange (Diekirch)

Remich (Grevenmacher)

Vianden (Diekirch)

Wiltz (Diekirch)

Please add South African provinces as well. I see most countries was added but not South Africa...................... PLEASE

As far as I can see, only the Belgian states have been added so far.

I do hope though, that Austria will be next (and then South Africa, of course...). :lol:

BalkanSabranje

Thanks. I'll keep this bookmarked. The challenge will be categorizing the previous cache listings so they will come up on the correct province/state search.

You might want to just default all the existing caches to "Unspecified" for region/province etc. and ask the cache owners to edit their pages and correct them. We had to do this for cache attributes. Not sure how many people updated their caches tho...

Thanks. I'll keep this bookmarked. The challenge will be categorizing the previous cache listings so they will come up on the correct province/state search.

You might want to just default all the existing caches to "Unspecified" for region/province etc. and ask the cache owners to edit their pages and correct them. We had to do this for cache attributes. Not sure how many people updated their caches tho...

It doesn't matter who many *would* as long as nobody *can*, IMO. ;-) BTW, you will ever find people who don't care, but I'm pretty optimistic that a significant percentage would update their cache infos if this possibility would be anounced at a prominent place like the weekly cache reminder. But again, it has to be implimented before this can happen. And as long as this feature is not available, the number of caches which have to be updated is growing and growing ...

Greetings,

Tobias

Actually categorizing previous cache data is something that could be done relatively easily by someone who has access to the geographic region outline data for the various states and countries. GPS Babel has the needed formulas: create a filter for each (in GSAK for example) based on the outline data,...etc. If such data are not available, then goecachers with calibrated mapping tools would probably volunteer to create it (I'd be willing to do a few if someone provides me with calibrated maps). If geocachers do the work then it might not be the most accurate, but they could easily be more accurate than the knowledge of the cache owners. (I.e. if someone places a cache near the border of a state where there is no fence between states, then the owner typically may not know whether the hiding place is in one state or the other). Being off by a few hundred feet would generally not be an issue, but in case it is, the cache owner should be given the final word.

Creating a tool to advise cache creators about this at the web page, at the time when they create new caches, would be a greater challenge but could probably be a summer job for a college student with GIS and some programming experience. Alternately there are retired software engineers out there spending much of their time searching for hidden plastic containers who just might be willing to devote some of their spare time to this.

Provinces of Spain:

Álava

Albacete

Alicante

Almería

Asturias

Ávila

Badajoz

Islas Baleares

Barcelona

Burgos

Cáceres

Cádiz

Cantabria

Castellón

Ceuta

Ciudad Real

Córdoba

La Coruña

Cuenca

Girona

Granada

Guadalajara

Guipúzcoa

Huelva

Huesca

Jaén

León

Lleida

Lugo

Madrid

Málaga

Melilla

Murcia

Navarra

Orense

Palencia

Las Palmas

Pontevedra

La Rioja

Salamanca

Santa Cruz de Tenerife

Segovia

Sevilla

Soria

Tarragona

Teruel

Toledo

Valencia

Valladolid

Vizcaya

Zamora

Zaragoza

Thanks. I'll keep this bookmarked.

Any news on when this will be realized?

TIA,

BalkanSabranje

Same old story again: any news on when this will be realized? Thanks for some reply if possible :-).

Edited by jarry

I know I am digging up an old topic, but I just wanted to emphasize how useful this feature would be for everyone that is geocaching outsinde of Nort-America (except for Belgium, the only country apart from the US and Canada for which this has already been implemented).

A lot of work is being done in the indidivual countries to work around the absence of a secondary geographic indication. In the Netherlands geocachers have been setting up polygons to define provinces for use as filters in GSAK. In Italy a special search facility has been set up on the national geocaching website, to permit regional searches, where I suppose every listing has to be included in an additional database so that the additional search field is available.

I am sure tens of thousands of geocachers aroudn the world would be delighted with this addition, and a lot of them would be happy to offer any help needed to make this possible.

Like someone has already suggested in this thread (over 2 years ago now, unfortunately), all existing caches could be set to "province/state/ecc. unassigned", so that cache owners/reviewers/volunteers/... can edit the listing to add the province. And of course for new listings the additional level could be an option or a requirement.

So please, please, can this be done?

Thanks for any update on this!

Katja

P.S. A small correction to the provinces of The Netherlands:

Friesland

Groningen

Drenthe

Flevoland

Overijssel

Gelderland

Noord-Holland

Zuid-Holland

Utrecht

Noord-Brabant (not just 'Brabant')

Zeeland

Limburg

Edited by kdv

As soon as I get a chance I am going to set up a mini database with all the country information that has been posted so far in this thread. I see it's not easy to perform CPR on this topic, but I won't give up so easily. The last word from jeremy about this (albeit way back in 2004) was that he thought it was feasible and a good idea, so I am holding on to that straw!

Katja

Like someone has already suggested in this thread (over 2 years ago now, unfortunately), all existing caches could be set to "province/state/ecc. unassigned", so that cache owners/reviewers/volunteers/... can edit the listing to add the province. And of course for new listings the additional level could be an option or a requirement.

That "someone" must have been me - but I'm still convinced of the idea. :blink:

So please, please, can this be done?

Yes, please!

Ok, I have made an Excel sheet with countries and first geographic sublevel. I have used all names in local languages, except for China, where I've used just English. Some countries are a bit problematic (e.g. Russia, where I've used a top level division of 7 regions, using both the Cyrillic and the English names). For the UK I have made onlythe distinction between England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. I think it would make sense to wait with the countis until they are added as a special level for the US too. (Since Ireland doesn't have any intermediate level, I did list counties directly). I added a few countries that were not mentioned in this thread yet (Brasil, Bolivia, Ireland, Guadeloupe and Netherlands Antilles).

I also noticed a couple of errors in the country list used on the site:

Curacao, St Eustatius, St Marten, and St Barthelemy are actually part of something else and therefore should be deleted as separate countries:

Curacao, St Eustatius are part of Netherlands Antilles

Half of St Marten belongs to Netherlands Antilles and the other half to Guadeloupe. (I have listed it as a 'state' of both of them.

Also St Barthelemy is part of Guadeloupe.

Finally, I noticed that Anguilla is listed twice. One instance should be deleted I guess (obviously after merging their content).

Since the structure is already in place, can maybe even just a few extra countries be added at secondary level, apart from the US, Canada, Australia and.... Belgium.

Maybe it could be an idea to start with the countries with most geocaching activity and/or most premium members. My guess would be the UK and German are the best candidates then (and no, I live in none of them - my personal interest would be Italy and maybe the Netherlands).

The file is here:

countrylist.xls

I hope we'll get some kind of answer for this. Even if it's just 'forget it, we are not going to waste any time on this' :rolleyes:

Edited by kdv

All of Great Britans Counties:

Aberdeenshire

Anglesey/Sir Fon

Angus/Forfarshire

Argyllshire

Ayrshire

Banffshire

Bedfordshire

Berkshire

Berwickshire

Brecknockshire/Sir Frycheiniog

Buckinghamshire

Buteshire

Caernarfonshire/Sir Gaernarfon

Caithness

Cambridgeshire

Cardiganshire/Ceredigion

Carmarthenshire/Sir Gaerfyrddin

Cheshire

Clackmannanshire

Cornwall

Cromartyshire

Cumberland

Denbighshire/Sir Ddinbych

Derbyshire

Devon

Dorset

Dumfriesshire

Dunbartonshire/Dumbartonshire

Durham

East Lothian/Haddingtonshire

Essex

Fife

Flintshire/Sir Fflint

Glamorgan/Morgannwg

Gloucestershire

Hampshire

Herefordshire

Hertfordshire

Huntingdonshire

Inverness-shire

Kent

Kincardineshire

Kinross-shire

Kirkcudbrightshire

Lanarkshire

Lancashire

Leicestershire

Lincolnshire

Merioneth/Meirionnydd

Middlesex

Midlothian/Edinburghshire

Monmouthshire/Sir Fynwy

Montgomeryshire/Sir Drefaldwyn

Morayshire

Nairnshire

Norfolk

Northamptonshire

Northumberland

Nottinghamshire

Orkney

Oxfordshire

Peeblesshire

Pembrokeshire/Sir Benfro

Perthshire

Radnorshire/Sir Faesyfed

Renfrewshire

Ross-shire

Roxburghshire

Rutland

Selkirkshire

Shetland

Shropshire

Somerset

Staffordshire

Stirlingshire

Suffolk

Surrey

Sussex

Sutherland

Warwickshire

West Lothian/Linlithgowshire

Westmorland

Wigtownshire

Wiltshire

Worcestershire

Yorkshire

It would be best not to mix up the Scottish, Welsh, English and Northern Ireland administrative regions. The pundits suggest that the SNP (Scottish National Party) may lead the government after the next Scottish parliamentary election in May and their agenda, of course, is for an independent Scotland. In Scotland there are 32 administrative councils; the list above is incorrect as of 1996.

1.Inverclyde

2.Renfrewshire

3.West Dunbartonshire

4.East Dunbartonshire

5.Glasgow

6.East Renfrewshire

7.North Lanarkshire

8.Falkirk

9.West Lothian

10.Edinburgh

11.Midlothian

12.East Lothian

13.Clackmannanshire

14.Fife

15.Dundee

16.Angus

17.Aberdeenshire

18.Aberdeen

19.Moray

20Highland

21.Na h-Eileanan Siar (Western Isles)

22.Argyll and Bute

23.Perth and Kinross

24.Stirling

25.North Ayrshire

26East Ayrshire

27South Ayrshire

28Dumfries and Galloway

29South Lanarkshire

30.Scottish Borders

Orkney Islands

Shetland Islands

scotland.jpg

Edited by Firth of Forth

It would be best not to mix up the Scottish, Welsh, English and Norethern Ireland administrative regions. In Scotland there are 32 administrative councils; the list above is incorrect as of 1996.

I my post above I proposed to include just the intermediate level for the UK, splitting the country up in Scotland, England, Wales, and Northern Ireland. Then, when an additional level is added, the counties can be inserted. I am afraid that otherwise the whole plan will disappear from the agenda again, because the Americans will like the idea of counties too, and for them to have counties, an additional 'layer' of data has to be added. (I did include the counties for Ireland, because that is there is no intermediate level there.

Let's at least try to get SOMETHING implemented, even though it's not going to be perfect for everyone.

It would be best not to mix up the Scottish, Welsh, English and Northern Ireland administrative regions. The pundits suggest that the SNP (Scottish National Party) may lead the government after the next Scottish parliamentary election in May and their agenda, of course, is for an independent Scotland. In Scotland there are 32 administrative councils; the list above is incorrect as of 1996.

In my post above I proposed to include just the intermediate level for the UK, splitting the country up in Scotland, England, Wales, and Northern Ireland. Then, when an additional level is added, the counties can be inserted. I am afraid that otherwise the whole plan will disappear from the agenda again, because the Americans will like the idea of counties too, and for them to have counties, an additional 'layer' of data has to be added. (I did include the counties for Ireland, because that is there is no intermediate level there.

Let's at least try to get SOMETHING implemented, even though it's not going to be perfect for everyone.

Fair enough - though if Scotland becomes independent, as indicated in my post, this may have to be reconsidered!! :rolleyes:

Edited by Firth of Forth

main thing is that we can split whole countries to smaller areas, so we can make local searches instead of country searches.

Some use a geographic position to do so. It's sure not a bad idea to implement the "states" of other countries as well. But does someone really look for caches by state? Especially in the US where some states are really big? Texas for example is twice as big Germany, so what use is it for me to look for all caches in Texas? I rather search for a radius around my home / holiday destination or whatever. Or in other words if it was okay so far not to have the Texan counties on Geocaching, why should a coutry like Germany be divided into 16 fractions?

GermanSailor

Edited by GermanSailor

For Portugal, the better way to "divide" the country is by districts, in my humble opinion. There are 18 districts in the country and two archipelagos (Madeira and Azores). Here's the list:

Lisboa

Setúbal

Faro

Leiria

Braga

Porto

Coimbra

Santarém

Viana do Castelo

Évora

Beja

Guarda

Castelo Branco

Aveiro

Vila Real

Viseu

Portalegre

Bragança

Madeira

Açores

It's pretty easy to get the post codes, layers for Google Earth, the boundaries for each district, etc.

I'm still watching this topic. I have a change to the code that I'm working on now to make it easier to add states, counties, provinces, etc to the site as it needs them. If I can just get through some of the politics surrounding the naming conventions in each country.

Regarding the Portuguese delimiters, I'd add the previous proposed regions delimiters are not defined or are ambiguous. Keeping it with the districts Sup3rFM proposed would be easier.

I've seen GPS tracks delimiting portuguese districts, so it's easy to create code to determine which district a given set of coordinates is in.

(edit: contextualize)

Edited by btrodrigues

If I can just get through some of the politics surrounding the naming conventions in each country.

You'll be lucky. :rolleyes:

Lots of people in the British Isles get confused (and hot under the collar at times!) about what constitutes the UK, Great Britain, the British Isles, Ireland etc etc etc.

Edited by Firth of Forth

I'm still watching this topic. I have a change to the code that I'm working on now to make it easier to add states, counties, provinces, etc to the site as it needs them. If I can just get through some of the politics surrounding the naming conventions in each country.

Great to hear that Jeremy! Again, if I can be of any help at all, just shout. I happen to have a background in software localization, including management of multi-lingual/multi-national projects, so I am quite aware of the issues you may encounter in this. Though I am not a programmer, I can help out with the international/geographical/political issues. Of course nations can change, split up etc., but I am sure nobody will expect you to keep up with each and every boundary change in the world. If we can just get something to work with, that would be great.

Thanks again!

Katja

What's the bottleneck, exactly?

Is it sorting out the current geopolitical areas and staying up-to-date?

Or is it finding topographical polygons for every area?

No bottleneck. Just that once the countries have their own new regions there will be a lot of work updating all of the old caches with the new info. Therefore I have to change the code to adapt the queries so you can do an all country query and a province/state query. Right now it is hardcoded.

kdv, you seem to be the resident expert so I'm going to rely on your countrylist spreadsheet. If there's any issue with that from the rest of you guys please let me know.

No bottleneck. Just that once the countries have their own new regions there will be a lot of work updating all of the old caches with the new info. Therefore I have to change the code to adapt the queries so you can do an all country query and a province/state query. Right now it is hardcoded.

kdv, you seem to be the resident expert so I'm going to rely on your countrylist spreadsheet. If there's any issue with that from the rest of you guys please let me know.

That's fine Jeremy. I'll try and improve the spreadsheet based on additional input there may be. Maybe - to take out the clutter for Jeremy - it would be best if people send me info about (preferably their own) countries through a private message instead of the forum. Everyone can download the spreadsheet:

countrylist.xls

and I will mention what changes have last been made and when it has last been updated (I'm going to add Costa Rica now.).

Also can some Portuguese people contact me about the Portuguese issue please? Isn't it so that Lisboa,

Setúbal, Faro, Leiria, Braga, Porto etc are a lower level division than Algarve, Alentejo, Centro etc?

In that case I would rather not change the division I have listed right now, since the additional level can be added if and when the county level is added for the US too.

Guidelines for submitting country info:

- Please list the top level division, e.g. if your country has regions that are subdivided in provinces, use the regions (you can include the provinces for each region too, for future reference).

- Try to submit information only for your own country, or at least for countries you are personally really familiar with.

- Use the names in local language of the language uses Latin characters. Use English names for other languages (eg. Japan, which is still missing)

- Send the info to me (kdv) through private messages.

Sorry if I sound 'bossy', I just think it's good if we can get some structure in this issue.

Edited by kdv