Your Coolest Use Of Gsak

geo-jedi

I recently found out that I have been volunteered to present something for an event cache titled Computer Caching 101. I probably play more with various programs for manipulating GPX and related files than I spend caching but that is really a personal problem.

One of the tools that I use and love is the Geacacher's Swiss Army Knife. After receiving a zip GPX file, I rename the zip and its contents. I drop the zipped GPX file into gsak to sort and filter by type or proximity. I export files for cachemate and mapsource (to use along with my Garmin 60cs!). I used to also output html for Plucker but no more.

This topic is focused on collecting reports on the coolest way that you make use of the GSAK tool to help me out in making my presentation.

Team Geo-Jedi

edit: GPX files, not GPS files...

Edited by geo-jedi
I recently found out that I have been volunteered to present something for an event cache titled Computer Caching 101. I probably play more with various programs for manipulating GPS and related files than I spend caching but that is really a personal problem.

One of the tools that I use and love is the Geacacher's Swiss Army Knife. After receiving a zip GPX file, I rename the zip and its contents. I drop the zipped GPX file into gsak to sort and filter by type or proximity. I export files for cachemate and mapsource (to use along with my Garmin 60cs!). I used to also output html for Plucker but no more.

This topic is focused on collecting reports on the coolest way that you make use of the GSAK tool to help me out in making my presentation.

Team Geo-Jedi

You do exactly what I do, with the exception that I don't rename the .gpx files and I don't use plucker.

I export the .gpx files to Gsak, then CacheMate on my Palm, Mapsourse, or my eTrex Legend GPSr.

Gsak is an awesome program!

I LOVE paperless caching (just went paperless 2 weeks ago).

Ed

Besides using GSAK to manage caches, I also use it to track benchmarks. It's a bit of a kludge at present, because there are some differences between cache hunting and benchmark hunting. (Clyde is understandably waiting until benchmark pocket queries become available before he starts writing benchmark-specific code).

It's not a big deal, but I use GSAK to save my GPS waypoints. I have lots of stuff on my Legend that has nothing to do with geocaching, and I don't want to lose it. I periodically use GSAK to download the waypoints from my GPS to a separate database for use as a backup, just in case. If my GPS ever gets lost, stolen, reset, or whatever, I have an easy way to get everything back onto a GPS.