Garmin Mapsource Canada Topo

murfster

Howdy,

I have both Fugawi + ETopo and MapSource + TopoCanada on the desktop. I load the MapSource onto my Garmin GPS, the Etopo onto my Palm Pilot (with Bluetooth GPS).

IMHO Mapsource data is WAY better than any scanned maps. Why? It is vector-based. Among other things, this means:

- Files are 10% of the size

- Maps are infinitely scalable

- The maps aren't just pictures, they carry information -- names of roads, features, values for elevation lines....

The Garmin map data is WAY more powerful to use in the field. If I could only have one set of maps, it would definitely be the Topo Canada maps. Also, the Topo Canada data is much more accurate. I find that the Etopo maps are usually off by anywhere between 5-20 metres, depending on where I am on the map sheet.

However, having both types of maps is pretty great. The scanned maps are much nicer for making "picture" type maps that you want to print out, put on the web or e-mail to someone.

Fugawi is nice software. However, I bought Fugawi initially because of its Palm software, and then found out that the palm software is totally useless. If I had known that, I might have chosen OziExplorer just because it is what most non-GIS people in the Yukon use.

(Actually, I really wish someone would just give me a copy of some ESRI GIS software. I sure can't afford the $1500!!!)

Regards,

Anthony