Night Caches

Well, if you find a park that closes at 10pm or midnight it works perfectly. As well, using non park but public trails works fine around here. We've got one in a late closing park, and another cacher we know has one at a trailhead.

And placing them in a park that closes at 6 or 7 works well in the winter months because it gets dark earlier.

-J

I was wondering how you do these, since most parks close at night

Very stealthily. :P

During the winter months, virtually all of the caching I do is at night, often very late at night. Not all of the parks around here are closed at night but, for those that are, we don't generally let that stop us. :lol: On more than one occasion we've had to park outside the park gates and walk a fair distance into a park to find a cache, occasionally tip-toeing past the caretaker's residence. However, there are certain parks that we don't venture into at night due to the types of people that frequent those parks after dark. :mad:

However - since entering parks after closing time is illegal, I would not advise you to follow our bad example.

Gorak wrote:

...On more than one occasion we've had to park outside the park gates and walk a fair distance into a park to find a cache, occasionally tip-toeing past the caretaker's residence.

:mad: I remember that one!

And another one where we (I) were not so stealthy and I spent 20 minutes explaining geocaching to a gentleman of the RCMP; just what geocaching is, why I was doing it @ 2:00AM, alone, and in a country other than my residence. :P:P

Other than that, I've had no encounters with the authorities while night caching, except a couple of slow drive-bys. :lol::mad:

Oh I could not pass this thread up.... Night caching, especially in parks ... well, I would have to say that it all depends on how the locals in your area/area of the park respond to night 'guests'. the local parks authority where I reside USED to have folks who went to all the parks and shut both closed AND locked the gates. Now with well over 100 park properties and a police department that has far better things to do than patrol parks and arrest folks for being there at night, that policy is faily much ignored.

NOW the caveat is this, if you don't make a ruckus and don't do anything to get the neighbors (if any) to take notice, then there is a very good chance you will not get in trouble with it .

Not that I would condone such a thing :mad::P:lol::mad:

Oh and a word of caution... if you are caching at night and it looks like you will be in a wooded area MARK THAT JEEP! I once got turned about caching near the Nashville Int'l airport and found myself lost about 50 feet from the road. Happy I didnt panic

Edited by virgo91967
Non urban caches are best for night caches. You miss out on a lot of scenery but it's amazing who all is out in the woods at midnight.

I'll bet you were refering more to "what" is out than "who", huh? :mad:

One of my most memorable experiences of late was whilst hiking down a state park trail around midnight (campers are allowed out late- might check this out if you're really interested in obeying rules and can't resist caching in "closed" parks).

We stopped on a small bridge over a small creek and turned out our lights. We saw a long line of slowly moving "glow worms" along the bank. The feeling was as if we were up on a high mountain watching a torch-light parade deep in the valley. Really cool, only come out at night.

Also saw a couple of really big white puffballs on the trail.

prowling the woods at night is really cool.

Most of my finds are at night, (midnight and later). I always have my snake hook and headlamp with me and on the rare occation that I have been approached by law enforcement, I tell them I am geocaching and looking for snakes. Without fail, they completely skip over the geocaching part and want to know what kind of head-case would be out TRYING to find snakes. Some have told me I have to leave the closed park, while others have just told me to be careful and let me go on my way. None have, thus far, written me a ticket for violating park curfew.

Very stealthily.  :mad:

Now there's a well constructed adverb that you don't get to slip into a converation every day. We appreciate the good grammer! :lol:

But spelling is a non-issue, right? :P

g-r-a-m-m-a-r

You missed "converation".

But, back on topic...

The major parks around here close at 11:00 PM. Even on the longest day of the year you would have over an hour to find the cache and return to your car.

There should not be a night cache in a park that is only open from dawn until dusk.

If the night cache is anywhere else, keep quiet and discrete and no one will know that you're there.

I was wondering how you do these, since most parks close at night, just curious, I would love to set one up I just dont want to give Geocaching a blackeye

-Jared

I deal with the cops by not going into parks when they are closed. If the park is open and I'm stopped by the cops and I'm legally allowed to be there, I explain this fact to them.

Edited by briansnat

I find the Invisibility Cloak I traded for at the Hogwarts cache useful. :lol:

But seriously folks, the two night caches I have done locally are in parks that don't close until 11. You should be able to find one near you, especailly if there are athletic facilities with lights.

As for the nighttime sub/urban caching-that's a different story. I or part of my group has explained geocaching to several LEO's, sometimes in the same night. :o We aren't doing anything illegal, (except in Franklin, TN it seems)so we have no reason to not be out caching at 3AM as long as we aren't tresspassing. (triple negative intentional). Besides in most cities there is more for police to worry about than a few folks out for a walk following the magic arrow.

One night at band camp, :lol: I mean Nashville we had the Vandy campus police actually ask us "are you doing that geo-thingy too"? :lol:

They must have a lot of caching encounter experience there. :lol:

Very stealthily.  :lol:

Now there's a well constructed adverb that you don't get to slip into a converation every day. We appreciate the good grammer! :lol:

But spelling is a non-issue, right? :o

g-r-a-m-m-a-r

Spelling was never my strong suit :lol:

OT, there is an urban micro here next to a very busy intersection, I've been thinking about trying at night. It is on private property (a business) with the owner's permission. I can just see the law coming by, find me "vandalizing" this property, with the owner home in bed. Then again, I've wondered what the inside of the Harris County jail looks like.

You should be able to find parks that don't close. That is, they don't have gates and don't have signs posted that say park 'closes at dusk'. Hunting caches at night is a blast. If you are questioned by the cops but are in a park that doesn't close you are doing nothing wrong and I would just tell the truth.

Night Caches, How do you do these without cop trouble

Hmmm.... let me see...

Okay, here ya go...

We only have 1-2 night caches in these parts but if I wanted to avoid any problems I would probably just go do these after I get off work and when I would still have on my police uniform :rolleyes:

Okay, okay... I know what you really meant and you've gotten some really useful replies. Happy geocaching!

Night caching? You mean geocaching at night? Like not in bed after 11:00 PM. :rolleyes: Let's face it, I am not a night person. But early AM would be great. I'm usually up between 4-5 AM. Just the other morning, upon checking my emails, I found that a Jeep TB was placed not 2 miles from home. So at 5:30 AM I was there to retrieve it. To the dismay of 3-4 others who went for it that morning :unsure:

I have a handheld radio scanner I carry with me when I cache - night or day. If someone is going to call the police on me I will probably know about it. I'm not afraid of any police interaction, just curious if I am perceived by anyone as causing a problem. And you can never have too many cool electronic devices, can you? I have never heard a complaint pertaining to my activity. WARNING: If you are going to carry a scanner in your car check your local and state laws for requirements. In most all states - including Indiana where I am- you must have an amateur radio license (I do) to legally carry a radio scanner capable of receiving police frequencies.

WARNING: If you are going to carry a scanner in your car check your local and state laws for requirements. In most all states - including Indiana where I am- you must have an amateur radio license (I do) to legally carry a radio scanner capable of receiving police frequencies.

Or be a manufacturer's rep. <_<

OBTW have fun scanning the new statewide system! It can be done, but equipment is VERY expensive so far.

(BIG advantage of being manufacurer's rep)

OBTWAgain Larger departments dispatch MOST traffic by mobile data terminal. Don't get caught with your pants down.

WARNING: If you are going to carry a scanner in your car check your local and state laws for requirements. In most all states - including Indiana where I am- you must have an amateur radio license (I do) to legally carry a radio scanner capable of receiving police frequencies

I never heard of needing a license to operate a police scanner. Like a Ham radio.....don't need a license to listen to others.....just to broadcast to others.

First, if you are geocaching at night and a policeman pulls up, put your gps in your pocket so he won't think you're carrying a gun. Then run away from the scene like mad. He'll probably get suspicious and chase after you. When he starts to catch up to you, turn around suddenly to explain geocaching to him. Of course then he'll seem startled that you're approaching him so he'll most likely draw his gun and aim it at you yelling "Put your hands in the air". That's when you smile and reach in your pocket to show him your gps!!

Edited by The Navigatorz
WARNING: If you are going to carry a scanner in your car check your local and state laws for requirements. In most all states - including Indiana where I am- you must have an amateur radio license (I do) to legally carry a radio scanner capable of receiving police frequencies

I never heard of needing a license to operate a police scanner. Like a Ham radio.....don't need a license to listen to others.....just to broadcast to others.

As was stated, it depends on which state you are in, my local PD just changed over to a new Motorola system, now I have to by a new scanner at around $500.00 to listen to them. At least the Highway Patrol is still using the analog stuff so I can still listen to them on one of m ham radios when I am out and about.

You do not need a ham lic. in Ca. to use a scanner BTW

I forgot to mention I did a night search last week for a new cache in fron of a fire station, a couple of fire asked me what I was up to. There was a plaque by the cache that was not part of the cache so I told them I was looking for a geocache and I had to decode a clue on the plaque and I was out at night to claim a FTF. Of course I had to explain geocaching to the, then they walk away like I was an idiot :lol:

One Fire Dept in my area sends fireman out to look for geocaches so that they learn how to operate the GPS in the trucks. They are not very good at finding, I know their captian he told me.