Bad Weather

Should not be any problem, unless you are in a downpour and the windshield has a constant heavysheet of water on it. Also your wipers may interfer somewhat, but rain, clouds, snow and the like in and of themselves are not a problem. The GPS frequency signal was selected because it travels through such conditions almost totally unaffected.

Should not be any problem, unless you are in a downpour and the windshield has a constant heavysheet of water on it. Also your wipers may interfer somewhat, but rain, clouds, snow and the like in and of themselves are not a problem. The GPS frequency signal was selected because it travels through such conditions almost totally unaffected.

Sorry...my dry sense of humor. I have used mine in MANY rain showers (living in FL). Was TRYING to be funny. Guess it didn't work.

Kayakanimal

Sorry not to pick up the humor. I took it as a serious question because many people seem to think clouds and rain are a problem, as well as the fact that I've gone caching in adverse conditions before and find it fun.

I heard this huricane ain't so bad. Course I guess Florida don't have a lot of elevation so bad is relative to where you are.

Sorry not to pick up the humor. I took it as a serious question because many people seem to think clouds and rain are a problem, as well as the fact that I've gone caching in adverse conditions before and find it fun.

I heard this huricane ain't so bad. Course I guess Florida don't have a lot of elevation so bad is relative to where you are.

We are waiting for Charley (currently 105mph and climbing) not Bonnie (55mph).

This is a situation in which I don't think an eTrex or geko would be a good choice. The wind might just blow you away. If you have a big bulky heavy unit like the meridian, or a 76 you may have a sporting chance of finding a few. Those units are big and heavy enough that not even a hurricane should be able to blow you off course :mad:

Good luck, and try not to get too wet

..many people seem to think clouds and rain are a problem, as well as the fact that I've gone caching in adverse conditions before and find it fun...

I'm one of those people. But I've only got one day of caching in heavy fog to go on. Now that I've moved it's going to be awhile before I can see if that was a fluke to have my GPS off 50' or so on every cache or if it was the fog. Normal is 5-20'.

Snow on the other hand hasn't made a difference at all.

..many people seem to think clouds and rain are a problem, as well as the fact that I've gone caching in adverse conditions before and find it fun...

I'm one of those people. But I've only got one day of caching in heavy fog to go on. Now that I've moved it's going to be awhile before I can see if that was a fluke to have my GPS off 50' or so on every cache or if it was the fog. Normal is 5-20'.

Snow on the other hand hasn't made a difference at all.

Not the fog.

Here's your answer renegade: http://www.gpsinformation.net/gpsclouds.htm

Besides, marine stores sell a lot of units just for that purpose.

Interesting reading. There is such a thing as a bad GPS/caching day and it's possible it coincided with my heavy fog day. It does make sence to have the parameters for operations to work in weather for usability reasons (we all get weather and more of it in Portland and Seattle).

Of course you know dang well I'm going to pay careful attention next time I'm in heavy fog!