Software And Unlocking & Firmware

I did a search on unlock did not find the answers in the results so appologize in advance if this has been covered already. I see you have two unlocks on (all?) software products ( I ordered Topo and will probably get City Select ).

1) I assume I can install on multiple computers? I have at least 4 I would like to install on.

2) I guess the unit has to be connected to a PC, otherwise how would it know wheter that unlock code has been used before? Am I connected through the internet to Garwin when unlocking? Or do I send them my serial number and they send me a code?

So basically where is the number of used unlock codes kept track of. I am not trying to circumvent Garwins secutrity I just want to understand the restrictions.

3) I see a number of posts rearding the latest firware upgrade for the 60 cs (compaas always on etc). I'm getting my new 60cs today which may have the old firmware. Am I better off waiting to upgrade the firmware?

As I understant it Garmin tracks the number of codes they will give you. So it doesn't matter how many computers you install the sofware on, or why, or that you gave it to your friend.

You can download maps into your GPS without a code. They just won't display. The code is keyed to your GPS. You can have two GPS's for one piece of software.

You will be connected to Garmin's server via the net while unocking. However they do have other means to get you a code including.

AFAIK, the Topo software doesn't need an unlock code. CitySelect/CityNavigator do need a code and are restricted to 2 units per copy of the software. These are keyed to individual GPS units and can't be migrated to another unit once activated (but you don't need to use the 2nd code right away).