Would It Be Safe To Say?

I've allready decided on my next GPSr unit. I did most of my research here. It's nice to find first hand experiance and advice. I have found alot of conflicting stories between garmin and magellan units. Would it be safe to say GPS units are like Ford And Chevy trucks. They each have their own quirks and each have good and bad sides. But one dosen't really outshine the other. They each have allmost their own fan club. Was just thinking about it today, found it amusing, and wanted to share. A penny for your thoughts

You may have seen the terms "Maggies" and "Garminites" thrown around here. They represent the folks that either swear by Magellans, or by the Garmins. I've personally owned both and must say I liked the Garmin functions and size better, but the Magellan's quad antenna was noticably more reliable and a bit quicker to load maps while scrolling. (eTrex Vista vs. ST Color). There's never a perfect unit imho.

I noticed that coordinates for caches whose owners used a Magellan are more often off/inaccurate than those where a Garmin was used. I verified this by plotting the coordinates on aerial maps. It's not just that Garmins and Magellans often give different coordinates, it's that the Garmin coordinates are the correct ones and the Magellan coordinates are off. This is my observation and I'm not biased because I have neither a Magellan nor a Garmin.

I think you've discovered the great hidden truth. To make it even more interesting, your "style", and primary usage, and areas you'll be using your GPS in will make a big difference in what is best.

For the record, my GPS brand usage went:

Magellan

Garmin

Garmin

Garmin

Magellan

Magellan

Globalsat

Garmin

Vehicles went:

International

Chevy

International

Austin

Hilman

AMC

Chevy

Jaguar

Ford

Chevy

Volvo

Mazda

Dodge

Dodge

Saturn

As for the best GPS and vehicle ;) Opps Gotta run, be right back..............

I've allready decided on my next GPSr unit. I did most of my research here. It's nice to find first hand experiance and advice. I have found alot of conflicting stories between garmin and magellan units. Would it be safe to say GPS units are like Ford And Chevy trucks. They each have their own quirks and each have good and bad sides. But one dosen't really outshine the other. They each have allmost their own fan club. Was just thinking about it today, found it amusing, and wanted to share. A penny for your thoughts

This analogy is completely wrong. It's more accurate to say it's the difference between IBM PC's and Mac's... ;)

/helpful, as ever... ;)

For me it is still a simple answer.

I like to keep my money in the USA if possible. And I won't give the french a nickle if I can avoid it.

So the family owns several Garmin products, and NO magellan at all. ;)

just send it to Taiwan since thats where garmins and more then likely magellans are made ;)

First rule out both the eTrexes and the SporTraks.

There are some problems with these units.

For Caching only, I liked the Meridian Platinum.

For Tracklogging I liked the GPS V, 76S, and now the 60C.

The best of both worlds will not be seen, because Magellan has it their way, and Garmin has it their way too.