I Am Officially Disgusted....

fly46

So here I am being a good cache owner and going out and checking my cache to see what I'll have to do to it before the cache n dash poker run. I pulled it out of it's hiding spot, checked the inside and saw that the baggie had a little rip, so I'll replace that... Interestingly enough almost every original item to the cache is still there after 15 finders...

Went to remove the bark camoflauge to replace it properly, since it had broken off a few finders ago. And oh my god. I wasn't much worried about the bark. Considering where it is, the only muggles that would be around it know about it. After it broke off the next cacher to the cache was 'nice enough' to 'fix' the bark.

Did he:

A. Respond by getting a new tube of Super Glue and replacing it in the same manner I had originally camoflauged the container in?

B. Respond by using some normal bonding substance such as tape or poster putty to re-bond the bark as a temporary fix?

C. Respond by chewing a piece of bubble gum and sticking it to my cache?

;) Anyone want to guess? ;)

Needless to say, I now have the urge to sterilize myself and my cache container. Thank god for dad's package of 1000 razor blades. I scraped it off and fixed it properly.

Although to make matters worse, I dropped a piece of gum that I didn't notice, and found it by stepping in it. So now I have gum chewed by someone I don't know on the kitchen carpet, my foot, and also on my jeans.

Excuse me while I go be sick.

I too am disgusted by bubble gum. Now I'm all for personal liberties, perhaps way more than the average guy. But chewing gum, unless it can be manufactured to dissolve during use and be completely consumed, should be outlawed. I can't remember where, I think it's Singapore, where chewing gum is illegal, with the punishment for any offense being public caning. Caning, for those who don't remember, is being tied up spread-eagled, then swatted very hard on the bare behind with a bamboo cane X number of times by a really angry martial arts expert.

If I found someone had stuck chewing gum to one of my caches and it subsequently got on my feet and carpet and person, I'd be flipping back through the logs to try to find the culprit. And then I'd gift them with a one-way ticket to Singapore.

;)

Edit: Lighter fluid (the kind you put in a zippo lighter for example) will get the gum off. I think they sell the same chemical now as Goof-off or Goo-gone or some such.

Edited by lowracer

How about taking a step back and looking at what the person was trying to accomplish?

Everyday in these forums we gripe about people not trading even/up, not replacing caches where/how they found them, and a host of other things that we (collectively) say that we do everytime.

So along comes someone that tries to be inventive and help out a bit by trying to resecure (however temporarily) the camo on a cache and (s)he gets crap for it?

C'mon people, you can't have it both ways. Here's someone who tried to help (in a manner obviously not OK with some) and instead of a "thanks, nice try", etc. he gets publicly flogged (yes, no names were used I know).

I guess it's true: The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

How about taking a step back and looking at what the person was trying to accomplish?

Everyday in these forums we gripe about people not trading even/up, not replacing caches where/how they found them, and a host of other things that we (collectively) say that we do everytime.

So along comes someone that tries to be inventive and help out a bit by trying to resecure (however temporarily) the camo on a cache and (s)he gets crap for it?

C'mon people, you can't have it both ways. Here's someone who tried to help (in a manner obviously not OK with some) and instead of a "thanks, nice try", etc. he gets publicly flogged (yes, no names were used I know).

No good deed goes unpunished.

Actually I used to janitor in a very popular bar. Needless to say cleaning up gum was the not the wrost of duties, although the toughest to clean up. We used Co2 to freeze it and the chisel it off the carpet.

Yes gum was not the best choice of adhesive. Wait, something else one day will top yout list of nasties.

wait, wait... let me get this straight... you're disgusted by a piece of GUM?

i habitually ask people if they're going to finish eating that. i have eaten food dropped in a parking lot. i eat things i find under car seats. i find a cookie under a pile of dirty laundry and i think "bonus. a cookie."

and by the way, if your coordinates are bad, you increase the risk that i will pee on it by accident because i think your cache is over there, near my zero point.

i habitually ask people if they're going to finish eating that. i have eaten food dropped in a parking lot. i eat things i find under car seats. i find a cookie under a pile of dirty laundry and i think "bonus. a cookie."

and by the way, if your coordinates are bad, you increase the risk that i will pee on it by accident because i think your cache is over there, near my zero point.

mmmmmmmm. bonus cookies.

I can't remember where, I think it's Singapore, where chewing gum is illegal, with the punishment for any offense being public caning. Caning, for those who don't remember, is being tied up spread-eagled, then swatted very hard on the bare behind with a bamboo cane X number of times by a really angry martial arts expert.

Um, there are a couple of issues....

1. Caning was never a punishment for possessing or chewing gum in Singapore, even if a cop saw you spit it on the sidewalk. The fines were quite stiff but they didn't cane.

2. Singapore now allows gum but you must dispose of it properly.

I can't remember where, I think it's Singapore, where chewing gum is illegal, with the punishment for any offense being public caning.  Caning, for those who don't remember, is being tied up spread-eagled, then swatted very hard on the bare behind with a bamboo cane X number of times by a really angry martial arts expert. 

Um, there are a couple of issues....

1. Caning was never a punishment for possessing or chewing gum in Singapore, even if a cop saw you spit it on the sidewalk. The fines were quite stiff but they didn't cane.

2. Singapore now allows gum but you must dispose of it properly.

I think he confused it with spitting. Wasn't there an American who was sentenced to caning for spitting there?

edit: No, it was petty vandalism that Michael Fey was caned for.

Edited by Stunod

I think he confused it with spitting. Wasn't there an American who was sentenced to caning for spitting there?

If by "petty" you mean "senseless." I think it is great. If that means people don't have to wake up and head to work only to discover some punk spray painted their car then it certainly serves its purpose.

I think he confused it with spitting.  Wasn't there an American who was sentenced to caning for spitting there?

If by "petty" you mean "senseless." I think it is great. If that means people don't have to wake up and head to work only to discover some punk spray painted their car then it certainly serves its purpose.

No, I meant damage less than $500, but I agree with you sentiments.

Edit: Lighter fluid (the kind you put in a zippo lighter for example) will get the gum off.  I think they sell the same chemical now as Goof-off or Goo-gone or some such.

Just a quick correction. Zippo lighter fluid is Naptha which is a byproduct of refining oil and is highly flammable. Goo Gone or Goof off is citrus based I believe. ;)

Bonus cookies are the best ;)

;);)B):D:D

Ok, so gum in unwanted placed is a bit nasty. I speak from the experience of a restaurant owner who must demonstrate 'gum patrol' removal technique each month for the lucky employee. Ice and goo-gone are the preferred weapons and a good stiff spatula for the table undersides.

But from the tone of your thread's title I expected something even crappier. ;)

Lighten up-someone tried to repair your cache with the best available adhesive on short notice. We all carry a lot of odd stuff in our caching packs but not many carry glue or duct tape I'll bet.

Lighten up-someone tried to repair your cache with the best available adhesive on short notice. We all carry a lot of odd stuff in our caching packs but not many carry glue or duct tape I'll bet.

Perhaps I should mention the cache is in my dad's front yard. Had it been important for the camo to be fixed (because let's face it, how much cammo do you really need in an instance like that?), I could have made a quick phone call, dad could have grabbed it on his way out to get the mail, brought it inside, fixed it properly in less time than it took to retreive it, and then popped it back into its hiding spot.

No gum required.

I hope this thread is intended as a joke.

No, there really was gum on my cache container.

And it really did get in my jeans and on my foot.

And I really do want to serilize myself now.

Warning bad puns humor ahead-oh and making fun of spelling errors.

(There is that PC enough for the easily offended?)

OK but go after the Coco Puffs and Fruity Pebbles first. Leave the Cheerios alone they never bother anyone. :P

or No thanks-one fly46 soap opera is enough around here. :mad:

I hope this thread is intended as a joke.

Warning bad puns humor ahead-oh and making fun of spelling errors.

(There is that PC enough for the easily offended?)

OK but go after the Coco Puffs and Fruity Pebbles first. Leave the Cheerios alone they never bother anyone. :P

or No thanks-one fly46 soap opera is enough around here. :mad:

You know... I read your message six times before I realized what the issue was. lol. That's what I get for reading the forums quickly while I'm waiting for a copy of my jury summons to print.

Do you mind if I seralize myself with fruity pebbles, instead? I've been craving them for a while.

Did he:

C. Respond by chewing a piece of bubble gum and sticking it to my cache?

Excuse me while I go be sick.

How did you know it was bubble gum, rather than just plain ordinary gum? If you blew a bubble with it...that would make me sick thinking about it. :mad:

If ABC gum makes you want to sterilize yourself, I get the distinct impression that you don't have kids! :lol::o:lol:

You know what, it's the thought that I don't know the person who put it there and it was in his mouth. And neither will any other cacher who may have opened the container up and put their hand there.

As for kids, no I don't have any, but my best friend has two, I babysit a third (all are three or under, none are potty trained) and I have gone home covered in Baby Vomit more times than I care to mention (not to mention that I don't mind changing diapers) but it's different when you know the person that vile things are coming from compared to when you don't know the person.

OK I've got Kids, and a dog and a MiniVan. :D

Yes ABC Gum can be Yucky but try getting ABC Grape Gum out of a dog's paws or other furry parts. ;) First time this happened (yes it's happened more than once) the gum was in her fur near her rear end and I cut it out. the patch of cut fur is still there after 2 or 3 months. Second time Found it in her paw and cutting, freezing and harsh chemicals were not an option. The answer... SMOOTH Peanutbutter! does the trick with a bit of rubbing it all came right out! :(

At a recent event cache we were trading some "war stories" about the most digusting things ever encountered at / near a cache. Someone found such a "dump that stunk" - complete with used wiping paper.

When life hands you lemons, sometimes you just have to make lemonade.. Had everyone cracking up - "First to Muggle - Took nothing - signed nothing - left log".

That's happened to me a few times. I repaired caches, and gotten flak. I've moved caches a few feet to put them out of an obvious danger, and gotten flak. I've bankrolled geoprojects, helped in certain geocommittees and geocommunities, and even been involved in some geonegotiation with the PTB -- and gotten flak. There's always someone who is unhappy with everything.

Nowadays, I'm pretty quiet about what I do and am less involved than I used to be, a unfortunate side effect of some of the petty moaning that goes on. I'll settle for just heading out to find some caches...

But, every now and then, I will still sneak out and repair a broken cache -- ususally silently and anonymously, unless I know the owners.

Of course with a lot of patience and the right temperature darkness and tending the crop, one could grow mushrooms from the -um- substance :-)

Working on a cache container camouflage that once it's painted and placed, ought to live up to its name "something or other geocache Number Two".

While the livestock in the area don't leave deposits the size of what the dinosaur did in "Jurassic Park 3" where they were digging for the satellite phone (and found a human femur and other stuff in the process), a 5 pounder can conceal something bigger than a 35mm film canister.