A Little Turned Off

Yogi The Bear

I've been looking for a fun outdoor activity lately and when I came across geocaching it seemed like fun. After reading some of the posts about ticks I'm a little turned off. I've been recovering from some complications related to Diabetes and I keep thinking the last thing I need right now is ticks, lyme disease and rashes. What are your thoughts?

My thought is you're probably overreacting. There are hundreds (no, thousands) of caches that don't require you to go anywhere near ticks. Of course, there are thousands that do require you enter tick infested areas. Spray down with an insect repellent that containes deet and you'll be pretty safe.

southdeltan

If weight loss is a part of your diabetes treatment, a word of advice: get a GPS without a built-in magnetic compass. That way, you'll have to go at least three miles an hour to know which direction you're headed. You don't know the meaning of "power walk" until you've dashed through the woods off-trail at that pace ;)

Seriously, though, I think the ticks have died down in my area. Now, I'm more getting bothered by mosquitos now. And that, safely tucked in my own bed.

If your worried about ticks, and who isn't try these caches to get started, I don't think they're far from where your live.

1: Morris Canal Cache (A Traditional)

2: The Great Falls of the Passaic (A Virtual)

3: Little Morris (A Virtual)

Take Care & enjoy the hunt.

And the way you dress has a lot to do with it too. As you will see in my avatar, I am partial to used comfortable military uniforms. When worn properly, they are great protection from most everything you encounter short of knives and bullets.

Of course, being retired military, I have an abundance of uniforms, and I am comfortable wearing them. They do come in non-camo colors if you prefer... but I would have to pay for that. ;)

Good luck. Welcome to the "GAME"

To date, we have done 263 caches that we found. Several more that we did not find. We have never seen a tick on us after a day of hiking in area's that ticks are in abundance.

If you dress properly, as stated prior, and use repellents, also stated, you should be pretty well protected. Don't think about the negatives. Think about hte places you will find and see that have always been there. The people you could meet. And the conversations around a campfire.

Cache on

Racer and Boo

If you're worried about ticks, don't go out during tick season to places where ticks could be - ie bushes in summer.

Didn't check to see where you live, but if you have urban micros or virts or easy park and grabs that don't require that you leave the beaten path, you're fairly safe to do those during tick season - then save the other ones for when the ticks aren't out. Or, if you do go bushwhacking through tickland, make sure to wear long pants, tucked into your socks, long sleeves, and check yourself as soon as you come out of the woods. If you come out looking like a tick farm, hope to heck you're not being watched, and then take all your tick covered clothes off BEFORE you get into the car... If there's just a few, make sure to get them off before you get into the car.

Of the caches I've done in any sort of foliage, I've only encountered ticks twice. Once in swarms, and once just one found on a cacher I was with at the time.

The best advice is to not be stupid. The two caches we found ticks at - one was a tiny cluster of trees behind a parking lot, the other was bushes next to city hall - none of the caches in actual 'woods' have ever had ticks that I've been to.

Stay smart and you'll be fine.

I've been looking for a fun outdoor activity lately and when I came across geocaching it seemed like fun. After reading some of the posts about ticks I'm a little turned off. I've been recovering from some complications related to Diabetes and I keep thinking the last thing I need right now is ticks, lyme disease and rashes. What are your thoughts?

Don't limit yourself because of the "what ifs". Protect yourself with the proper clothing, the proper repellent and go have some fun. If you didn't do things that you think you'd enjoy because of the risks, you'd never leave your house.

Happy Geocaching!

You can work around ticks. They do have a season, and when it's over so is the issue. You are less likely to find ticks in an urban setting like a park or parking lot during tick season. Ticks also don't like DEET and that works to keep them at bay. Especially when combined with appropriate dress for tick avoidance. Which amazingly enough is a good idea when caching anyway as you will scrape up your legs if you don't wear pants, and you will quicly dirty any kind of shoe you wear so boots are the way to go.

everyone is talking about dress but (ALMOST) no one is telling you what that is.

I am out every weekend lately - both days - I'm in the tall grass, trees, and brush. Ticks drop off brush that deer walk past and brush off.

I wear long jeans - hiking boots most of the time - especially if I'm on a trail - and knee high boot socks (from my motorcyle riding days) - wear a baseball hat both for shading the eyes and for head protection - put a little deet on the hat and the bugs stay out of the face.

I wear a pocked (safari) vest and put a loose (too big) long sleave shirt over that. This is mostly for sun and PO but it keeps the bugs off my arms too.

I have managed to keep the ticks off me - I do worry about it and think of them when I am in the bush.

Compucache is right. I wear long pants all year round, even when it's 90­° outside. If you are in terrain where you need long pants for ticks then you need the long pants anyway if you want to protect your legs from briars. Plus wearing pants I spray them with Deep Woods Off (high DEET content) so I don't have as much bug spray on my skin.

Of course check youself for ticks as soon as you get home.

Since you're that concerned about it. take up another hobby. NJ where you live is loaded with ticks. Hunterdon County ticks have a 50% infection rate with Lyme. Other NJ counties aren't much better. You won't be happy in the woods. Even with all the protection, you're boound to get bit. Stay on the sidewalks.

Maybe the title of this thread should have been "A little ticked off". ;);)

Our ticks run about 5 feet long and make a funny buzzing noise when you get too close! :D:D

Us oldfarts

I know exactly what you mean. I hate those type of ticks worse than the other type. I take a walking staff with and poke around with it first before reaching in between rocks to pick out a cache.

Who in their right minds hides caches between rocks?? OH. Sorry I do!! LOL

Ken

Yogi:

Welcome to the fun hobby of geocaching!!

As another NJ cacher (and there are many which you can find in the Northeast region forum here on GC.com - http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=20 ) I can understand your concern. In all the caches/hikes I've done, I've only had 2 ticks on me and I do some pretty serious hiking lately. The 2 ticks I found were back around April and none since. I'm out almost every weekend. My kids come with me often and there's never been a tick on them.

I don't wear long pants unless it's cool out. I like being comfortable. I use DEET (30%) for bugs and I'm not really sure if it helps with ticks or not. I know that there is a product by Sawyer called Permethrin Spray Tick Repellent which doesn't get sprayed on you but you spray your close that will actually (from what I've been told by others) actually kill the ticks if they get on you.

Now is there a chance you can get bit by an infected tick - sure. Does it need to be in the woods while hiking/geocaching - nope. In fact I know more people that got lyme disease that aren't hikers/geocachers then I do for those that are.

One important thing is to check yourself once in a while when hiking and when you get home completely check yourself. Should you be cautious - sure. Should you not do something you like because of it - I don't think so. Go out and enjoy yourself, take the necessary precautions and hope for the best. It's certainly treatable if you do get bit by an infected tick.

know what you mean. hate the little suckers myself, but don't let them keep me in. spray your clothing with permethrin (contact insecticide) and your skin with a repellant containing deet and travel without fear. used per direction both products are quite safe, and when using the combination of both i've yet to get a tick. n.c. where i live is quite ticky during the summer months, so i've gotten lots of experience. good luck. -harry

Unfortunately haven't had lot's of time to cache, but have taken quite a few hikes with youth groups throughout Northern WI this summer...typically a "heavy" tick area...saw lots of ticks on many kids...tick checks twice daily...but didn't have a one, so far this summer on me...how?

1. Permethrin treated clothing...

2. DEET on any exposed skin...

Seems like a great combo so far...just remember Permethrin products should never be applied to skin!

A coworker of mine 'helpfully' brought me a full-color brochure from the Lyme Disease Foundation today, including a list of the many diseases ticks cause, full-color shots of a variety of attendant rashes, and a pocket-size card showing all the various American ticks, to scale, in color. Gee, thanks.

I biffed it. I do a tick check on myself when I get home. At my age, the process of examining my nude self minutely is painful enough.

Since you're that concerned about it. take up another hobby. NJ where you live is loaded with ticks. Hunterdon County ticks have a 50% infection rate with Lyme. Other NJ counties aren't much better. You won't be happy in the woods. Even with all the protection, you're boound to get bit. Stay on the sidewalks.

Well aren't we Mr. Tick Doom and Gloom. :mad::

Yes, Alan is right to an extent, but you can get ticks in your backyard. I know a person who got Lyme mowing his lawn, one who got it gardening in her yeard and another who got it playing golf. If you live in fear of ticks and ligthning, rattlesnakes, bear and the other dangers you will encouter while geocaching, or just stepping outdoors, then forget about this sport, or any other that will take you outside. Sit in your house and watch TV and you'll be pretty safe.

But if you want to get outdoors, geocache and enjoy the beautiful planet that we live on, take precautions and have fun.

Precautions involve wearing insect repellent. Use a DEET based repellent on your skin and a permethrin based repellent on your clothing. You can also wear light colored clothing so you can see the buggers on you and tuck your pant legs into your socks to keep them from crawling up your leg. Also do a thorough check when you return home and a shower won't hurt either.

You also have to think about the risk vs. enjoyment factor. In 25 years of spending time outdoors I've had one tick attached. Yeah, you will probably be tick free hiding in your house (Unless you own a dog), but is a full retreat from the outdoors going to improve your life? You have to make that choice.

Edited by briansnat