Geocaching - The Tour Guide

CT A-Team

I recently returned home from a 2-week vacation out West. My wife and I did the Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Lake Powell, Zion, Las Vegas, Yosemite and Death Valley. What a fantastic trip! And on the whole trip we had our own personal tour guide - Geocaching.

Although my wife sat in the car patiently at first, while I stumbled over rocks in the hot desert sun, she later came to appreciate the places that Geocaching was bringing us to - the unknown views, the secret little waterfalls, and the places of historical interest that are not in any tour books.

I would like to thank all those cachers who take the extra time to place their caches at points of interest or great views that make the journey more than just an accumulation of numbers. I would also like to suggest that anyone going on a trip take time to download those caches along your route that look interesting, and that will ADD to your trip. Be careful, however, not to turn your vacation into a geocaching frenzie.

Thanks again to all of you for being our tour guide.

Walt & Irene :o

I can only add my thanks to the good geocachers along the Pacific Coast of Oregon and Northern California. I just too three days to drive 101 from Astoria to Willets. I actually drove from Seattle and picked up 101 at Astoria. That drive would normally take two days, but I allowed time for caching. I saw many things I would never have seen otherwise. I also met a few cachers along the way and that was a real bonus. I don't think I will forget many of these stops.

Yes, we are all stewards.

In our hobby, many travel and geocache in unfamiliar places. And, for various reasons, many who travel and cache will seek out the local cachers. When a local cacher recommends a series of particularly interesting hides, or suggests a nice place to eat, or offers to show the sights, he is presenting an impression of his neighborhood and his caching community. He is an ambassador of sorts.

:oB)

I recently returned home from a 2-week vacation out West. My wife and I did the Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Lake Powell, Zion, Las Vegas, Yosemite and Death Valley. What a fantastic trip! And on the whole trip we had our own personal tour guide - Geocaching.

Although my wife sat in the car patiently at first, while I stumbled over rocks in the hot desert sun, she later came to appreciate the places that Geocaching was bringing us to - the unknown views, the secret little waterfalls, and the places of historical interest that are not in any tour books.

I would like to thank all those cachers who take the extra time to place their caches at points of interest or great views that make the journey more than just an accumulation of numbers. I would also like to suggest that anyone going on a trip take time to download those caches along your route that look interesting, and that will ADD to your trip. Be careful, however, not to turn your vacation into a geocaching frenzie.

Thanks again to all of you for being our tour guide.

Walt & Irene :o

Huzzah Huzzah Huzzah! Three cheers for one of the best posts I have ever seen on this forum! Now would someone please ensure that the cacher who hid that micro out behind the Papa John's dumpster, among the broken glass and PI, where I had to watch Sasquatch dive for breakfast, sees this post! :D

I am a big proponant of the 'it's many things for many different folks' vision, and will hunt for just about any cache out there, but this is the real reason for it IMHO.

BTW we ended up posting a DNF on that nasty piece of business.

edited for sp. and comma placement B)

Edited by wimseyguy

I couldn't agree more. Donna and I are having a wonderful time discovering things here in Georgia where we've lived for the last 10 years. Without geocaching I would have never known that Charles Lindberg made his first solo flight here in GA.

Zack

Oh yeah. We've discovered more little out-of-the-way, who-woulda-thunk-they'd-put-a-wildlife-preserve-HERE places just in our own area in the past year thanks to Geocaching.

And we've seen some really neat stuff, such as a flyover by a heron, and a semi-tame deer that actually let us pet him! (evidently they like having their antler "buttons" scratched. I did not know that.)

We LOVE to find the great geocache sites!