2005 Geocaching Calendar

Jeremy

We'll also need a 13th picture so we can extend the calendar for, say, November and December of this year.

what about 53 images and a 54th one for the cover? HanseaticCacheTeam (HCT) still provides a HCT 2005 Cache Kalender. (caution: ~34 mb)

happy hunting from hamburg, germany.

ps: spot week 8 to see hhl (left) talking weired caching stuff to laogai ;-))

Edited by hhl

My thoughts on the calendar special dates:

First caches in each continent;

May 3rd ("Cache Day");

First caches in each country (less US - they have May 3rd, after all);

Annual CITO day;

Elimination of the SA (Selective Availability) on GPS signals; and

Signal's birthday.

... to name a few.

The mosaic is a great idea, but maybe a calendar is on the small side?

Certainly some of the more exciting pictures (a pic from GC2499, for instance) should make the monthlies. I'd like a member vote, but the technical side of that may be more pain than it's worth.

Personally, I would like to see a calander of cachers doing what we do...caching.

You can get nature calanders a dime a dozen, and a calander of the views from caches would be boring to me.

But show a cacher holding the container at that cache, or a childs big smile opening an ammo can, or a dog with a micro in it's mouth...now that is geocaching to me!

Or the mosiac idea...that would be really cool also.

Ed

We have found a printer and a designer to help us with the calendar. Once we get closer we'll have to start gathering historical dates to put on the calendar. Due to the short timeline we'll probably do without tips. If someone wants to start a calendar topic to gather official dates, feel free.

We just received the first rough outline for the calendar and it looks great!

We'll be doing a lot of photo montages instead of having one large geocaching picture, so it can involve more regions, themes, and will be more than just a big calendar of scenery. The front of the calendar will be a photomosaic of many photos making up one big image (most likely the tech + nature tee design). I'll try and provide some mock-ups as we get closer to completing it.

I expect something finished for shipping by the last week in November.

I always liked the calendars of despair - maybe this (de)motivator-style could be also an idea for a geocaching calendar?

Since Geocaching is very international I'd keep an eye on the fact that the calendar isn't too much focused on the US.

only my 0,05 EUR

the calendar of despair would have to be filled with infamous DNF logs, and photos of very frustrated looking individuals.

LOL...

Heh. Well there may be some despair pics in there. We're creating two photomosaics for the calendar. One for the cover (though it will just be a compilation of tiny blue pictures) and one for the 5th year anniversary of geocaching.

We're finalizing the design today or tomorrow. Most of the calendar pages are montages and themes for things like travel bugs, benchmarks, and general themes with small pics of geocachers. Instead of focusing on one picture per month we tried to integrate a bunch of different (smaller) photos for the calendar. I think you'll like it.

I would sugest voting for each month photos for one week then that would be the winner for that month . Maybe even feature a cache and cacher for each month with a travel (that has traveled over a certain amount of miles) . A radio station here has been doing something similar for the past three years with local girls . They come in for an interview and photo session , then the listeners vote each month both online and call in . The final vote is cast by the on air staff . The one with the most from all three gets that month . This take nine months to put it together but each year has gotten better . The now have a dvd to go with it . www.waaf.com Just some ideas of what you can do .

One suggestion I have is popular with other groups and it is a good way to sell the calendars because so many will want them. Firefighters and nurses and even old women and men have done this as a way to selll calendars and raise money at the same time.

12 Pictures of Nude geocachers and preferablly women. I only say that because men probably wouldnt want to buy a calendar with a man his GPSr and his johnson hanging on his kitchen wall. I think women appreciate the females nude body and wouldnt mind it.

I hike a lot with my female hiking parner and many many times all we have on is footwear and daypacks. I will admit that we have raised a few eybrows when coming across other hikers on the trail but it is a harmless fun activity that can be done by all.

Back to my idea though and I will admit that I am totally serious. I think that people should take good quality photos of people caching in the nude. Different scenes of people and their GPSrs in hand and thats all. I am sure that there are many sources that would be willing to send in high quality images and they could be posted and all members on Geocaching .com have one vote on their favorite photo. The top 12 voted for pictures are the ones that get used in the calendar.

There would be a very large profit in the sale of these calendars and I am sure that people all over the world who use these site would buy one or two.

I really believe it is something to seriously consider and people her should leave their thoughts on a new kind of idea.

I'll take one.

But I'd also like to see a "coffee-table" book where hundreds of our photos could be published. Thirteen's not very many, considering the number of members.

As former newspaper publishers/formatters (PageMaker, PhotoShop, Illustrator, etc) we would be glad to help if you don't have folks with those skills on staff.

Do you have a RELEASE FORM online for photogs to print, sign, and fax or mail? Nothing can eat up publication profits like a lawsuit.

Edited by valleyrat

We received them yesterday. We should have them on the http://shop.Groundspeak.com web site tomorrow. I'm also working on an alternate shipping site where you can order them to be shipped via USPS like we do with Travel Bugs.

They look great. The folks at AKA Design did a great job bringing out the idea of geocaching into some unique art for each month. We incorporated a photomosaic for May, and a rather large collage of photos on the front of the calendar.

Groundspeak Shop has them in stock now.

2005 Calendar

Description: Plan your next adventure while reliving great moments in Geocaching history with the 2005 Geocaching Calendar. 13 month hanging calendar (includes December ‘04) features month-at-a-glance layout with full-color images and a chronology of “First Caches.” Calendar measures 14” x 11” when displayed.

Price: $10.99

711902 GEO

I'm also working on an alternate shipping site where you can order them to be shipped via USPS like we do with Travel Bugs.

Global ordering and posting? :(

Doesn't look like it. Couldn't find it in any international distributor.

GeoShop.se (Sweden) have ordered a few calenders and will have them within a week or two.