Money In Caches

Momyar

Yep legit trade items... just log them in at www.where'sgeorge.com and move them one. and try to remember, Where's george bills are tp be traded and not 'released into the wild', even though many folks do so.

Where'd yet get that? A finder can do whatever they want with a trade item. Keep it, give it to a friend, move it to another cache or eat it if it pleases them. Georges are no different. They're just another trade item.

Yep legit trade items... just log them in at www.where'sgeorge.com and move them one.  and try to remember, Where's george bills are tp be traded and not 'released into the wild', even though many folks do so.

Where'd yet get that? A finder can do whatever they want with a trade item. Keep it, give it to a friend, move it to another cache or eat it if it pleases them. Georges are no different. They're just another trade item.

UMM... Once again, I see a prime example of people who know absolutely nothing about where's george. This is the biggest setback of Where's George.

The purpose of Where's George is to track money and it's NATURAL CIRCLUATION. The only thing different you do with a Where's George bill is kindly make a journal entry on the website before you go and spend it. They're not supposed to be logged in and out of caches like travel bugs. If you found an unmarked dollar in a cache, you'd take it and spend it like normal. Do the same with a George but remember to make a note on the site first.

With that said, normally, I'd treat money like a regular trade item. I do have THIS CACHE, however, that any money left in it will be donated to The Victory Junction Gang Camp, and thus removed from the cache container by me on a regular basis. I have an envelope in my room that I put all the cache money in and every time I get a donation noted in a journal entry or I check and find one, I'll put the money in there and every time I get a certain amount, I'll send it to the camp.

Yep legit trade items... just log them in at www.where'sgeorge.com and move them one. and try to remember, Where's george bills are tp be traded and not 'released into the wild', even though many folks do so.

i think the thing is that they ARE supposed to be released into the wild. that's what natural circulation is. there are some george purists who believe no george bill belongs in a geocache at all, but if you would leave an unmarked dollar, then it's still natural circulation to leave a marked one.

if on the other hand, you just move it from cache to cache and never release it to the wild, it stops being natural circulation.

large amounts of money in a cache (unless there's something about it written down) should be considered a gift, as should very expensive cache swag. o person expects to come with a trade item that's a fair trade for very expensive items, so the person who leaves it alsmost certainly intends it to be a gift. leave the nicest thing you have for it.

i know that's what i'm thinking when i leave a very nice item.

under no circumstances should you leave an old bottlecap, a wet-wipe, hotel soap, or a ticket stub as trade for anything. well, maybe the wet-wipe. maybe. or a soap from a really interesting hotel. if you leave a sopa from the holiday inn a block up the street, i will make it my business to document your trade in a public place so people can laugh at you.

The purpose of Where's George is to track money and it's NATURAL CIRCLUATION.

No it's not. It's to track what the site wants to call "natural circulation". If they truely wanted to track natural circulation, I could log a bill more than once, if I got it back in change after spending it somewhere.

...The purpose of Where's George is to track money and it's NATURAL CIRCLUATION.  The only thing different you do with a Where's George bill is kindly make a journal entry on the website before you go and spend it.  They're not supposed to be logged in and out of caches like travel bugs.  If you found an unmarked dollar in a cache, you'd take it and spend it like normal.  Do the same with a George but remember to make a note on the site first.

But for the existance of wheresgeorge.com this would not happen. WG can rant and wail about natural circulation but it's very existance and ability to track created a de-facto Travel bug out of WG dollars.

It's a fact of life and ironicaly now a part of a bills natural circulation.

Edited by Renegade Knight
...The purpose of Where's George is to track money and it's NATURAL CIRCLUATION.  The only thing different you do with a Where's George bill is kindly make a journal entry on the website before you go and spend it.  They're not supposed to be logged in and out of caches like travel bugs.  If you found an unmarked dollar in a cache, you'd take it and spend it like normal.  Do the same with a George but remember to make a note on the site first.

But for the existance of wheresgeorge.com this would not happen. WG can rant and wail about natural circulation but it's very existance and ability to track created a de-facto Travel bug out of WG dollars.

Why do you say it wouldn't happen?

I put unmarked dollars in caches just as I would put marked dollars in one. Thus, for me, part of the natural circlulation of my money is the fact that I can - and do - put my money in caches. It just so happens that the only money I don't mark is the stuff I've gotten in change and not had time to George before I drop it in a cache or spend it at the store or whatever else.

under no circumstances should you leave an old bottlecap, a wet-wipe, hotel soap, or a ticket stub as trade for anything. well, maybe the wet-wipe. maybe. or a soap from a really interesting hotel. if you leave a sopa from the holiday inn a block up the street, i will make it my business to document your trade in a public place so people can laugh at you.

Erm... So should I go take out the stuff I dropped in my cache from where my mom stayed on a business trip?

Why do you say it wouldn't happen?

I put unmarked dollars in caches just as I would put marked dollars in one. Thus, for me, part of the natural circlulation of my money is the fact that I can - and do - put my money in caches. It just so happens that the only money I don't mark is the stuff I've gotten in change and not had time to George before I drop it in a cache or spend it at the store or whatever else....

I don't think we are too far apart in our view. What I was trying to say is that the existance of WG.com itself has alterned the natural flow of money. While WG.com doesn't seem to think that WG bills naturally flow into a cache and are tracked like Travel bugs, that WG exists made it possible and people like the idea so now it happens. It's a classic problem faced by scientists. Obersavation affects what they observe. It's more of a problem for some fields than others but one they have to adjust for to get the real answers they are after.

A hider in our area put some dollar coins and $2 bills in the cache, announcing on the cache page that the first 10 finders got their choice of either, as a gift. I think there is still some money in that cache. In a case like this, I think it's perfectly fine to take the money, then do a separate trade, because the hider made it clear that was what was expected. In the case of general money in a cache, I think it's fine to treat it as a trade item, or for the owner to take it out. Anyone who put it there certainly didn't expect to get it back.

Are we attaching too much importance to this?

I have seen several urban caches where "meter feed" was left inside. Fun idea. Also some folks like to leave their state's quarter behind as a trade item.

I had a situation where i had good trade items but no cash and the two dollars bought me an iced tea and a cheap snack for my lunch.

I don't recommend big cash for easily muggled caches, though, it seems to encourage the mugglers.