Mapsend And Xp Sp2

embra

Passing along an important message from the Yahoo group: it appears that MapSend products may not be compatible with changes implemented in the OS by the Windows XP Service Pack 2 going into release this week.

To minimize adding any fuzz to his message, let me quote it here:

After upgrading to Windows XP Service Pack 2 I receive this message:

"MapSend has a known compatibility issue with this version of Windows.

For an update that is compatible with this version of Windows, contact

Thales Navigation."

After that I receive the classic "There is no appropriate MapSend xxx

CD in drive D:\".

There is no updates available from Magellan, so if you are dependent

on MapSend in the near future and you are running Windows XP you might

want to say no when Windows Update suggest the SP 2 upgrade in a day

or two...

His message header referenced MapSend Topo, so this may not apply to DirectRoute...I would guess that Streets & Destintations is a high risk, though, and I would want to see confirmation from someone braver than I that DR flies.

The general word so far is that there may be a number of programs which may be require changes before they can run under SP2 rules, so waiting to install the update is probably a good idea. For those who may not have been following this development, SP2 is supposed to provide much needed security changes and is likely to be a Good Thing in the long run, but there can be some growing pains. I ssaw an article earlier this week that IBM is advising their employees to defer the update until they can verify that their essential applications will operate. A full system backup is a good precaution for early adapters.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I may build a virtual machine and test this. One issue though is that SP2 is still in pre-release form and MS has been notorious about changing the code significantly between pre-release and final versions. The bottom line is we'll never know for sure until the final release comes out.

I find it amazing that Magellan/ Thales, doesn’t come out with patches for the software. Is there coding that good? :o You don’t see many software companies that fire and forget their software and don’t send out occasional patches. Especially since the software costs more than some of their products.

ScottB

Thanks for the 'warning.' As I hear, this is going to be common with many aps out there.

Regarding Thales Navigation, right! I have asked several questions about DR as well as when an update will be available - still waiting for an answer to all. Their customer & tech service leaves a lot to be desired.

Somebody did dig up this document on the Magellan site which offers a DR patch for those with the "can't find the CD" error. They mention it as an antidote for the XP SP2 beta.

I'll leave it to someone else to test...I've got the edited version that doesn't require the CD to be in the drive, so I'm still cautious as to whether the SP2 update torpedoes that even with the patch.

Seems good to move slowly. I guess I'm somewhat reassured that Magellan seems aware of the situation.

Hi all,

I spoke directly with the person responsible for Application Compatibility issues at Microsoft about the issue affecting MapSend Direct Route and here's what he had to say:

"Yes this is a known issue - This looks to be a problem with the copy protection software that the mapsend (DR) program is using. In looking at the bug report, the problem will manifest itself occasionally on w2k and XPSP1 and now consistently on SP2. The vendor was notified back in april about the problem, apparently there has been no patch issued."

I've let him know about the MapSend DR patch.

Regards,

-Fabien.

I think I'll chime in on this and to give this topic a bump since the SP2 automatic update is set to begin tomorrow, Aug 25. If you have auto update turned on, you will begin to download SP2 tomorrow. I installed the network admin version of SP2 that was released a week or two ago and can confirm that DR does not work. I just found out about the patch that was mentioned in the previous posting by Embra. I'll apply it tonight when I get home. I'll post if have trouble with it.

Edited by hwyman

I read the same problem about other applications having troubles with the new SP2. Is strictly forbidden in some departments from IBM installing the SP2 due to incompatibilities with his programs.

I had been waiting for this service pack months ago because installing the new version you dont have to install the most critical pacthes one by one or waiting for the windows update download.

We started to download SP2 throught Windows Update since some month ago so at the moment the current updates don't affected to my MapSend. we'll have to see what happens tomorrow.

GAWK

SP2 = 266 Meg!

For those of you in modem land (like myself) ... this represents about 26 hours of download (assuming that your ISP does not drop you .. in which case you get to start alllllllllllll over again)

Does anyone know if this can be downloaded from a machine on a network and transfered to the target?

It appears I was a bit hasty when I created the topic. So far I've only seen DirectRoute listed on the Microsoft list of know noncompliants. TotemLake noted that MapSend Topo seems to work ok, and now you have indicated the same for MapSend..what, Streets & Destinations? I don't have that so I'm not certain of what version they ran it to.

We're running XP and have the auto-updates turned off! I prefer to pick and choose which updates if any I really need.

If it works, don't fix it......

John

speeling again.

In this case, ignorance is not bliss. Not putting patches on your XP merely leaves your system vulnerable with security holes as big as my garage door. SP2 isn't necessarily a bad thing. The programs that fail to work on it are due to the fact they were utilizing these same vulnerabilities to make things happen and MS is putting a stop to it by plugging those vulnerabilities. It's bad design on the application engineer's part to have taken advantage of those vulnerabilities (read that as taking shortcuts) rather than doing it the right way. MS is merely correcting the way the OS handles these vulnerabilities.

If it works, don't fix it......

Not in this case. Unless you are an engineer for MS Windows, you don't know what is and isn't broken. Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it isn't.

I have auto-update set to advise me when they are ready to download and ready to install. I like to know what is happening with mine and my customers' systems. I use the pre-notification info to research to see if it will cause problems before I install it.

Using a router to access the internet eliminates just about all threats from hackers. Throw in a good firewall program and the threat is considerably less than the "Gurus" would like you to believe.

I believe the potential problems from the SPs is greater than the benefits. I did the SP1 and it took weeks to get things back to 'normal'.

Just my opinions.

John

:huh: I count my blessings for people that think like you do. They keep me in business. I've chased more trojans and viruses out of unpatched systems that were operating behind a firewall. :huh:

Here's hoping it never happens to your system.

Cheers!

TL

Edited by TotemLake