$1500 Magellan Meridian!!!

Cracker.

Here is a $1500 Meridian, with a TON of software bells and whistles....

I wonder why they chose to use the Mageellan as the base unit, instead of a Garmin?.....Couldnt be because the Maggies receive better, could it? :o

http://www.gpsonsale.com/displayroom/produ...obileMapper.htm

Now if I only had $1500 to blow on a GPS... B)

I think the SD Card expandability was probably the kicker given the extra software to load or data that would be tracked.

I wonder why they chose to use the Mageellan as the base unit, instead of a Garmin?.....Couldnt be because the Maggies receive better, could it?  :o

Call me a cynic, but I just don't see a day when Thales/Magellan will choose to modify and market a Garmin. B)

Edited by embra

The screen is 1.6" by 2.2", and only 120 by 160 pixels. I would want a higher resolution screen at that price. If im plotting points using an expensive GPS, I would like to have at least 180x240 pixel screen to see my plotted points or tracklog on a good screen. Maybe it will work with a small computer out in the field, and that way you can better see what you are mapping.

If somebody used one of these to place caches, that would effectively cut the error almost in half, since your consumer grade GPS would have most of the error, in finding caches.

This is cheap compared with what you had to buy some years ago, like a trimble GPS.

Frontview_lo.jpg

Edited by GOT GPS?
I'm with Totem on this.  A 1GB SD card probably costs more than the GPS when they put that package together, but you would need it for all the GIS info they are claiming.

You can get 1GB SD cards for under $200 these days.

I've never seen any even close to this price. Are you sure you are talking about SD cards and not one of the other card formats? Got any links?

--Marky

I wonder why they chose to use the Mageellan as the base unit, instead of a Garmin?.....Couldnt be because the Maggies receive better, could it?

As mentioned by others, the choice was undoubtedly because Thales owns Magellan. Modifying a consumer grade unit to record data for post processing is an interesting approach however. A couple of things I couldn't help noticing were that the post processing software is extra but the additional price isn't mentioned, and you can improve the optimal post processed accuracy from 70 cm to 50 cm by using an external patch instead of the internal Quad helix antenna.

It would be interesting to see how the accuracy of this unit compares in actual use to those designed from the ground up for survey type work.

Realize this is ment for COMMERCIAL use and so the business community will pays what ever a deal ask. But there are better unites out there for less. But you will not get the 50 to 70 cm accuracy with out post processing. So your really paying for the software back in the shop not the GPS and SD card. My company use a mouse GPS connected to PDA to do this and software in the office to get the accuracy.

Cheers

I'm with Totem on this.  A 1GB SD card probably costs more than the GPS when they put that package together, but you would need it for all the GIS info they are claiming.

You can get 1GB SD cards for under $200 these days.

I've never seen any even close to this price. Are you sure you are talking about SD cards and not one of the other card formats? Got any links?

--Marky

www.ecost.com has the 1GB SD card from SanDisk for $189.

Link:

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecsplash/shop/d...asp?dpno=401035

Edited by Team Trout

Don’t take this wrong, but; read the spec’s, it needs Differential GPS to get the quoted accuracy. It just comes with a 2 channel built in Differential GPS receiver. Most of the Mid to High end personal GPSr we use can accept input from an external Differential GPS receiver. The problem is there has to be a well surveyed Dif. GPS ground station within receiving range to use this capability. Without this, it has the same accuracy as most units we use.

Cache Well