Broken Gps

Ben & JJ

Hello,

Do many people hang-onto broken GPSs? I have a project in mind that might need salvage from a couple GPSs. As a quick poll(I'm not buying yet) are there a lot of broken/fried/water damaged/maybe unused GPSs out there?.......I'm not buying yet but if there are a good number I might be.

Edited by Ben & JJ

This post reminded me of something that should be of interest to anyone caching in the northeast. ANYTHING purchased from Eastern Mountain Sports has a lifetime, no-questions-asked replacement guarantee. Your GPS dies, take it back, it's replaced.

I don't work for EMS, but I'm definitely a huge advocate.

-Nebula 3-

I have the E-Trex Venture my son was carrying when it was destroyed in a mortar attack. The screen was shattered from a concussion. But otherwise it still works. I was able to download his data from it and E-mail the data to the store selling him a new one. They loaded it up and sent it to him.

I intend to send it to Garmin for repair. Someday!

WOW, thats a nice guarentee...I can't beat that, but if someone has a broken GPS(older maybe?) that's costs way too much too repair...I'll give you something, well, closer to nothing(but something) for it. Most preferable is something with a broken screen and a computer interface, but something I can destroy to better learn how they work is ok too. I have a really cool robotics/guidence system project in mind(hell, if someone is willing too part with for REALLY cheap and if it really works(unlikly)) I'll include them in the credits.

Edited for REALLY REALLY bad spelling.

Edited by Ben & JJ

I can see it now "Builder of homemade cruise missle from RC plan model and common handheld gps parts is detained for questioning" :D:D:D

Edit:

oh to actually add something to this thread. Maybe try watching ebay for people selling cracked screen gps or something. But even then its not going to be all that cheap :D .

I actually think someone once said they had built a gps out of a radioshack kit. If that was true, and they still make them :P , you could get one of those to toy with?

Edited by welch

Sorry, No plans to build a Cruise missle(yet.... :blink: ) Though if you poke around the internet someone already has for under $5000 (though you probably already know what I'm talking about). My project is more along the line of "holy flying squirrel monkeys, Batman we are outta beer and 5 miles from the nearest town whatever will we do? I think I may have chosen the wrong forum and title for this Idea....But, I don't supose that you know the part # for that kit?

I'm not completely clear(yet) on how GPSs work so one to destroy wouldn't be so bad either, but one that works(really cheap) would be even better.

What about a Cache-Making Bot?

Have it retrace a track that you might make by driving along the trails, etc. in your area and then randomly pick a spot, turn to a side and drop/throw a container into the brush. Mark a WP for the location and then come home.

Finally your own hide-and-go-seek-bot!!!

Oddly, a broken GPS has improved GPSBabel. Someone subjected an etrex to an, err, rapid deceleration and pretty much toasted the screen. But the processor still runs and the serial interface works, so she donated it to the project. Once I learned the magic "reset all" (you can't erase waypoints in a garmin from the serial port) it turned out to be adequate for my development needs. I have no idea if it'll get a lock or not.

So now etrex gets tested before GPSBabel gets released.

If you have equipment that's in a similar state that you'd be willing to donate or sell cheaply to fill holes in my testing, contact me.