Whyjust Looking For Opinions?

5¢

Why do some people seem to hate smileys? It seems like there is a group of people who hate people who go out and find caches. Everyone says it's not about the numbers and all the people who just want to get another smiley. Why do some people hate the smiley getters. Jeolousy? Is there something else which has not been explained to me about Geocaching? I don't understand and honestly want to.

Why do some people seem to hate smileys? It seems like there is a group of people who hate people who go out and find caches. Everyone says it's not about the numbers and all the people who just want to get another smiley. Why do some people hate the smiley getters. Jeolousy? Is there something else which has not been explained to me about Geocaching? I don't understand and honestly want to.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::)

I know what you mean dude. Some cachers don't log their finds as finds, they log a note, just to keep anyone else from seeing how many they've found. I don't understand the logic.

I, however, love the number of finds I have. I like watching the number of caches I've found grow, and I like comparing the number of finds I have to the number of finds my brother, fiancee, and other friends have.

Just because I love doing that doesn't mean it's "all about the numbers" for me. It means that the numbers are part of the fun. I also love the hiking, the thrill of the hunt, figuring out the puzzles, etc. It's all good.

There was another topic going where someone brought up the idea of having patches showing your geocaching achievements. That was put down by one person and that person flat out wanted to avoid anyone that might have those achievements showing. Im curious to know why that bothers him so much. It does seem he hates seeing others with smileys!!!

Basically, it's an envy/jealousy thing. If I have the resources/available time/available caches to attain a high find count, those who aren't privilege to those conditions MIGHT become envious/jealous.

To paraphrase someone's tagline "Anyone who caches more than you is obsessed/a fanatic: anyone who caches less than you is stupid."

Sure, I'm proud of my find count, but I've also logged many DNFs.

I feel the most inmportant measure of a Geocacher is their hide-to-find ratio! (assuming they manage to create good quality hides)

In the end, the numbers will take care of themselves if you are having fun!

I know what you mean dude.  Some cachers don't log their finds as finds, they log a note, just to keep anyone else from seeing how many they've found.  I don't understand the logic.

I, however, love the number of finds I have.  I like watching the number of caches I've found grow, and I like comparing the number of finds I have to the number of finds my brother, fiancee, and other friends have.

Just because I love doing that doesn't mean it's "all about the numbers" for me.  It means that the numbers are part of the fun.  I also love the hiking, the thrill of the hunt, figuring out the puzzles, etc.  It's all good.

There are a small number who log notes only, because they wanted no part of what they felt was a competetion. There are more people who don't log on this website at all. I disagree with that for reasons I've stated on numerous other occasions.

The vast majority of geocachers do log their finds, but to them the number of finds is secondary to the amount of joy they get out of the hunt and exploring new places. I think many, if not most, of the people in this category do feel a sense of accomplishment when they reach a milestone, say 100, 500 or 1,000 caches, but the numbers aren't the reason they're doing it.

Then there are the numbers hounds. They will log anything as long as it adds to their find count because they want the "prestige" that comes with having a high find count. They'll log finds on caches that aren't there, finds if they pass the park that the cache is in, virtuals after getting verification answers through a Google search, finds on their own caches, or on caches they helped place...anything for a smiley. Often this type will skip multi caches and any cache that takes more than 30 minutes to get to, because they'd rather be logging 3 drive and dumps in that 30 minutes than "wasting all that time" for one cache.

There are some people who don't respect that last group, chiefly because they often play loose with the rules and mores of the sport, but its absolutely ridiculious to say that anyone here hates people who look for caches.

Edited by briansnat

I'm not opposed to smileys. Smileys are good. Smileys mean you're having fun. If gathering 250 smileys in a day makes you happy, by all means, go for it.

There are the purists who will argue that it should never have become possible to find 10 or 20 or 30 caches in a day, and will point to the people who do it as just being out for the numbers.

In fact, sometimes it's fun to just set a personal goal and try to fulfill it. One day with a small group of friends, we found enough caches to set a local record. Was that for the numbers? Well, yes, in part...but we also had a blast and saw SO many different things it would have been just as satisfying had we found no caches at all.

One could easily point to my find count and say I'm swayed by the number of caches I've found...but I'm fortunate enough to live in a cache-rich area; if it were really about the number of finds for me I could easily have doubled or even tripled my find count.

And even if I did that...what's it matter to anyone else? The only person I'm competing against is myself.

But everyone has their own bag. You just ragged on people who skip multis but then say no one looks down on people who want to find caches. I just want to know why people post things like all the people who just want to add another smiley to their profile. Why is that such a big deal? If they want to do 1 and 1 caches and have 3000 finds what is the big deal? It seems like on the forums a guy with a braggable accomplishment gets bashed but when a sports player breaks a record we all say ow wow. This is our sport but yet we bag on the leaders. In sports other people chase the leader and want to do better. It seems like here we rag on them. I guess major league sports don't have forums either. I guess at the end when I see the statement about smiley getters being said I don't get the point. How can on say oh that guy is finding caches adn have a negative point to bring up?

Why do some people seem to hate smileys?  It seems like there is a group of people who hate people who go out and find caches.

Since nobody else seems to see what you are talking about, how about some examples? Links please.

Edited by Mopar

Mopar no disrespect here by any means but I would like to choose to not bring up specific examples at this time so I do not flame an individual. I would think that most know or have heard of what I am talking about but I would like to not make enemies on this board if I could not. I was looking for a general answer to what I have read and that is all.

Briansnat: Once again, hittin the nail on the head.

I log my (few) finds. I go when I can, not because I wanna be some hero, but because I go outdoors to RELAX. Not get worked up over how-many-can-I-get-before-the-next-guy. Subsequently, I find people who insist on bragging about their finds highly annoying.

It's like a competition between grandma's on rocking chairs:

Wilhemina:"Heh Bertha, I got me 247 rocks! You only gone 136! Ha Ha! You loser!"

Bertha: "Shut up you dried up prune, I'm trying to read."

Ok Brian did you not say this in another thread "just a way for people to jack up their find counts?" I guess all I can say is you did. Why do you care how people get finds if it doesn't matter? You know what I tried to stay away from this but honestly the people who make the most noise are the ones who do it in the first place. Have a side and stick to it.

I do not look at Caching as a sports where "people chase the leader and want to do better." I look at it as a hobby, something to do with my children who seem to be having fun. I do not see much ragging on those who have accomplished big numbers with there finds. I see for the most part people sharing experiences and helping each other. I do see from time to time a minority of discruntled types and for them they can use a few smileys and simply enjoy getting out.

I guess since your last post 3 people have posted and they both took your side that it would have to be posted against me since I didn't. I guess common nature is to take the side of one's with you. If I am wrong tell me where you were going with this.

I guess since your last post 3 people have posted and they both took your side that it would have to be posted against me since I didn't. I guess common nature is to take the side of one's with you. If I am wrong tell me where you were going with this.

Yes!

Er...no?

Um....

:o

We were looking for a cache the other day and we were about to give up.

Ann was headed back to the car with geo-dog Phoebe, when I said *Wait a couple of minutes, I'm just gonna check up that little hill*.

A minute later I found it and gave out the trade-mark Geo-Hoot! She was up there with me in a second and we both logged it. Not as a team... or seperately... but as one finder.

It's not about numbers for us, just about letting others know *We were here*.

Logging is like what the Inuit people do when they visit a new place... they leave an Inukshuk... (Inuksiuk??) which means *People were here.*

D.

:o

i for one completely disagree with what briansnat posted earlier it is not necessary to use commas or any other puncuation for that matter this is one of the most ridiculous arguements i have seen in these or any other forums :o

On topic: Anyone with more smilies than me is just "in it for the numbers!"

High number counts are more a factor of geography than anything else (period) I (apostrophe) ve pretty much exhausted caches (comma) say within 75 miles of my home (comma) and now I am much more selective in what I seek (period) I seek when I travel and choose the most interesting caches I can (comma) given my time (comma) transportation (comma) and inclinations (period) I passed up an easy parking lot micro last weekend (comma) because it was not interesting to me (comma) although it was just a short walk away from my wife (apostrophe) s parents (apostrophe) home. I also took five months to complete a six stage multicache in Delaware that gave me one (quotation) smiley (quotation)(period) There (apostrophe) s no jealousy involved in not having as high a find count as some uber (hyphen) cacher (semicolon) in fact (comma) I wonder why they are willing to waste time on caching for the count (comma) rather than for the experience (period) If anything (comma) I would suggest they slow down a bit (comma) and learn that more is often less (period)

Mopar no disrespect here by any means but I would like to choose to not bring up specific examples at this time so I do not flame an individual.  I would think that most know or have heard of what I am talking about but I would like to not make enemies on this board if I could not.  I was looking for a general answer to what I have read and that is all.

No offense taken. Looking at the responses in this thread, most people do not know what you are talking about. Your lack of punctuation makes it hard to figure out what you are even trying to say, let alone debate it. I was hoping some links to what you are trying to explain would help us to understand.

For example, one sentence from your original post.

It seems like there is a group of people who hate people who go out and find caches.

Since there is no punctuation, I have to try and guess if where any goes.

It seems like there is a group of people who hate people who go out and find caches.

or

It seems like there is a group of people who hate people, who go out and find caches.

or:

It seems like there is a group of people, who hate people who go out and find caches.

See? The words stay the same, yet one little comma changes the entire meaning of that sentence.

Edited by Mopar

(ampersand) another thing (questionmark)

D (period)

Sorry folks getting carried away

edit: Oh gawd... without the punctuationin sounds like I'm talking about *sorry folks getting carried away* (Picture of Monty Python guy wheeling a cart).

Edited by davwil

Sorry folks getting carried away

edit: Oh gawd... without the punctuationin sounds like I'm talking about *sorry folks getting carried away* (Picture of Monty Python guy wheeling a cart).

Sorry, folks getting carried away. = you are apologizing because people getting carried away.

Sorry folks, getting carried away. = you are apologizing because you are in the process of being carried away.

Sorry folks getting carried away. = A bunch of losers being carried away.

Hey, this is fun!

I like smileys. 

I like finding caches. 

I like people. 

I especially like girls. 

I like fudge too. 

I like to write in small sentences. 

It minimizes confusion.

PS I don't care what others think about my caching habits. 

But do you hate people who find caches? Come clean now, don't avoid the issue.

Edited by briansnat
On topic:  Anyone with more smilies than me is just "in it for the numbers!"

This makes perfect sense, because anyone who drives faster than I do is an idiot, and anyone who drives slower than I is holding up trafflic. :o

B) Hey, if you think they're against smilies (finds), maybe they're just having a bad day at work. I found 7 on Monday.

Why do some people seem to hate smileys?  It seems like there is a group of people who hate people who go out and find caches.  Everyone says it's not about the numbers and all the people who just want to get another smiley.  Why do some people hate the smiley getters.  Jeolousy?  Is there something else which has not been explained to me about Geocaching?  I don't understand and honestly want to.

I lump them with the people who say "It's just a game" and "You post just to increase your post count" Because they ususally say that in defence of their own take on the topic at hand.

Normally they have a point they are trying to make and to imply the other person is somehow less of a person for having finds, or posts etc. is just a variation of the bash the other person as an means to win an argument method of debating. It's just not as direct as what some others do.

On the other hand, if it's not used in a debate, it's just a means to feel better about their "low" find/post count. It shouldn't matter but it does to some people.

Edited by Renegade Knight
Mopar no disrespect here by any means but I would like to choose to not bring up specific examples at this time so I do not flame an individual.  I would think that most know or have heard of what I am talking about but I would like to not make enemies on this board if I could not.  I was looking for a general answer to what I have read and that is all.

No offense taken. Looking at the responses in this thread, most people do not know what you are talking about. Your lack of punctuation makes it hard to figure out what you are even trying to say, let alone debate it. I was hoping some links to what you are trying to explain would help us to understand.

For example, one sentence from your original post.

Since there is no punctuation, I have to try and guess if where any goes.

or

It seems like there is a group of people who hate people, who go out and find caches.

or:

It seems like there is a group of people, who hate people who go out and find caches.

See? The words stay the same, yet one little comma changes the entire meaning of that sentence.

First thing: KRN, its easy to see what you are saying, comma or no comma! Can't stand it when others criticize another person on every little grammer mistake they make. Im probably making some now, but please try not to let it ruin your day!

Second thing: I agree with you that there are some people that dont like to see other people's smileys. I dont see it often (course i dont look for it) but if you look around, you will find where a person complains about another person being out "only for the numbers". That does bother some people for some reason. You only asked WHY this is the case. As allways though, there are people that want to criticize your question as well.

I hear it all the time that most don't care about the numbers. I do think that most don't strive to find every cache to bring up their find counts. We sure like to have a record of what and how many we have found though. You wanna see an uproar,,, watch what would happen if this site took away everyone's stats!

Edited by Mudfrog
I like smileys. :D

I like finding caches. :P

I like people. :D

I especially like girls. :P

I like fudge too. :D

I like to write in small sentences. ;)

It minimizes confusion. ;)

PS I don't care what others think about my caching habits. B)

I have been accused of not answering the OP question. So here goes-

I don't care how other people play the game either.No hate, no love.

Just please keep hiding caches so I can come find them........... :D:D