Scariest Cache?

kone

I was just wondering what people here consider to be their scariest cache visit, like dark tunnels, creepy cemeteries, night caches, etc...

I am a horror buff and would like some ideas on what makes the best "scary" cache. (not necessarily a high difficulty rating, but just ultra creepy)

This is the story of a "one-time" cache that I participated in trying to find. It was located in the middle of nowhere in the backroads near Lexington, MA. A small hill-top cemetary surrounded by trees in the middle of a frozen March night with only a small flashlight and GPSr.

You can ignore the mini-rant at the bottom of the post as it pertained to the series of one-time caches and has since been long resolved amicably.

Doing them at night definitely increases the creepy factor. We did a cache in Nashville just as dusk hit. Walking into the woods and seeing it instantly get dark and having the mist start rising on us was pretty eerie.

We're going to try for this one in about a month. It looks like it should prove to be a little scarifyin'. :rolleyes:

Bret

This cache is located near a cemetary that was supposedly used for the Night of the Living Dead movies. It's also part of a major local legend. Unfortunately, I can't do the story justice, so you're best off just reading the cache page.

This cache would be awesome and creepy if you did it at night, but I'm told the police frequent the area because of it's remoteness and it's proximity to the cemetary, and if they found an abandoned car, it would likely be towed or sometihng...

This cache has been archived, so you'll have to log in to view it.

Here's the story:

This entry is rated PG13:

I stood at the opening to that place (I wouldn't call it an entrance, for entrance implies an eventual exit.) thinking, 'If I was on a movie screen right now, there would be someone in the theater yelling for me not to go in there!' I'll say this: 'If there is a house back there somewhere, at least one room is wallpapered with human skin.'

Let's back up a bit: I parked at the smoke shop at about 11:40; right under the sign; taking my chances that the fuzz would be at one of their usual night spots. I work with cops a bunch and they are creatures of habit just like me. (Now go back and read that first part.)

Standing at the opening in the dark, that space looked like a great big mouth waiting to swallow me. I took my heater out of my pack and put it in my pocket. I took my Night Vision out and turned it on and started in and then stopped. Low clouds means no moon and no stars to give ambient light to the device. Doh! I could see from side to side, but not down the road. There was nothing for the internal illuminator to bounce off of. I worked the problem out by shining my flashlight down the road in short bursts. I could see only marginally further. That got every firefly in the place going though. They must have thought I was the mother biggest firefly they ever saw and they all wanted some. There musta been hundreds. It was really cool.

Anyhooo, so I'm walkin down the road enjoying the fireflies and scheming to yank everyone’s chain in my post. So I get to the spot where my GPS zeros out and start my search, everything's okay and I find it in about 5 min. So, I trade 2 new calculators, 2 sets of earplugs, and my signature night raid item (A glow in the dark dinosaur this time) for a red bandana, the Cheep Cheep TB, and a CD. (Ugh country music. That cover was false advertising, it's destined for the Juke Box cache) The time is now 11:58pm.

At just before midnight a swarm of mosquitoes descended on me like the Geritol Set descends on the buffets in Las Vegas, sweat started pouring in my eyes and I heard......something. I quickly tried to take a pic with the cache camera. Sorry, SigJ, I wasted 2 shots before I figured out the flash and then I heard... something further off. I quickly covered everything up and started out after putting my heater and the NV back in my pack and getting my keys out for a quick getaway. I knew the lay of the land and didn't so much as stumble the whole way out. I used my flashlight only to incite the fireflies...until.....I came across the big water filled pothole with a wet tire track headed out. (South) That was very disconcerting because only minutes earlier I had been at the same spot and....THERE WAS NO FREAKIN MUDDY TRACK THERE!!! No panic...I train people to respond rather than react and practice the same. My tape was runnin at that point. No time to get strapped again, so I just headed OUT!........................................................ Then, within sight of the creepy overgrown entrance sign....SOMETHING....LARGE....Dropped to the ground with a thud that I could feel through the soles of my shoes. It ran crashing through the brush for a short distance and stopped cold. I had a complete primal reaction: Every hair on my body became a stiff wire. Every vein and capillary dilated and every muscle tensed. MY heart slowed rather than raced. (I think my hangy downies sucked up into my body cavity as well.) I was in a fighting crouch without realizing it. The only thing that got my feet moving was the realization that my last meal would have been from Taco Bell. I walked rather stiffly to my car about 250 yards away. I had planned at least 2 more caches for the night. Instead, I just went home and didn't sleep well.

Again, I double dog dare anyone to do that cache at night. Get a friend to stand at the opening and try it by yourself. I deserve a medal (or a dunce cap) for this one!!!

SNOOG7.jpg

Edited by Snoogans

My 250th cache was Forbidden Tower by nctreker. The description was very spooky, so my fiancee Gift and I HAD to go for it.

Here's my log from that one:

It will be hard to describe in this online log exactly how scary and creepy this find was. Gift and I found this one on our way home to Atlanta from Virginia Beach. As we were driving down 85 we saw a few caches on the GPSr as being nearby, read the descriptions on the laptop, and decided to try a couple. The description for this one seemed a little over the top so we knew we had to do it.

As we were walking down the trail (or path, or whatever the road has become after all these years) we were very hot and sweaty and I made a joke about the temperature saying, "Where's that temperature drop? I sure could use it right now". Just about then we heard sounds of what we thought were people talking coming from the area we were walking to. Fellow cachers perhaps? We thought it would be neat to meet some locals out on a cache hunt. But then the sounds began to sound more like chants and less like conversation. The closer we got the more clearly we heard chanting and moaning, and just then the temperature drop showed up. We were chilled to our bones. Very creepy!

We thought about turning around and just heading back to our car but decided it would be a shame to come this far and not at least try to find it. Getting closer to the coordinates, just when we expected to be able to see who was in the area, the chanting suddenly stopped. There was complete silence until we realized we were standing still and began to walk again. Gift and I were sure we'd meet somebody at the site but all we saw was the old abandoned structure.

Before we began to look for the cache we first wanted to check out the building to make sure we were safe. Inside we found a raised platform about the size of a large desk, that had a big puddle of shiny liquid (blood?) on top and a trail of it leading away. Whoever was here before us had obviously grabbed whatever was on the table and left. There were also about two dozen candles sitting around that must have just been blown out as a couple were still smoking a little.

We just wanted to sign the log and get the heck out of there so with a little further searching (and feeling a little like Indiana Jones) I found the container and brought it to Gift. We both signed it, I returned it, and we left in a big hurry. If the people we heard were still there, they were definitely hiding from us and doing a good job of it. We never heard anything else from them on our way back to the car but that was a good thing for sure.

Thanks for the cache, but I could have done without the weird people that we heard but never saw. At least I hope they were people.

The scariest cache wasn't really the cache at all. The cache was pretty funny and was modeled after Looney Toons stuff.

The scary part was when Faile and I were heading back to the car. A man and a woman had passed us on the trail while we were at the cache site. They headed down the trail the direction we needed to take on the way out. As we rounded a corner in the trail we were shocked to see those very same people doing the nasty in the bushes.

They must have been pretty engaged in what they were doing since they didn't stop or notice our passing. We couldn't help it and started laughing our a55e5 off a few hundred feet farther down the trail. Didn't have the camera with me at the time, and I'm glad I didn't ;)

I recently completed a cache in the dark, After looking at the map it appeared to be about 100 yards from the end of a track, So off I went only to find that after about a mile the track which you could easily driven a car along turned into little more than an animal trail which wound its way up and down a steep hill going through a forest with the track weaving round big trees. Whilst watching my feet to make sure I did not trip over a tree root I could hear noises all around me ;) . I am sure it was deer running away but at the time I felt like I was being chased by ring wraithes through the trees. Half expecting to bump into some hobbits on the way I found the cache after searching around 5 or 6 spots that matched the clue.

I dont think I was as worried as my wife who was waiting at the nearby campsite for me to return, she thought I would of been about 1 hour when it actually took me 2 hours to get back, She did not realise that walking up steep tracks takes a lot longer than the same distance on the flat also the fact I was out of mobile phone reception and too far away for the walkie talkie to work didnt help ;) She was about 30 minutes away from calling out the rescue services when I got back in range of the walkie talkies and made contact to say I wouldnt be much longer until I got back into the tent, Boy does the 3 kilometre range of the radios gets cut down when you are in a forest..

Well I guess this cache would be my scariest cache. Twenty years ago I did a lot of this sort of thing but that was in my younger years. My mind still thinks I'm young but my body keeps on giving me reality checks. Been a while since I've backed off a cliff on a rope so I have to admit my knees were knocking doing this cache. ;)

i was caching in upstate PA, Blue rocks Run cache . i climbed down into a deep narrow rock gorge, it did not feel good, bad vibes.

after finding the cahce i took a picture of the contence and then the howling and groweling started about 50 feet away and mom bear was stomping the ground up above the gorge close to my only way out, i guess i woke up mom's little cub

i left two years of my life at that cache and still had a two mile hike back out looking behind me all the time!!

Edited by onehand

My own Clinton Road Drive and Dump

is placed along NJ's infamous Clinton Road. The road is so infamous that a book has been devoted to it.

Here are links with some stories about this strange place:

From the Weird NJ website (the best collection of stories).

From the Midnight Society's website.

From the Unquiet Tomb's website

From the Lostdestinations website.

You can see by the number of websites devoted to it, that it's a spooky place.

My own story involves driving down it to return from placing a moving cache at the spot where the ghost of the boy is rumoured to be. While driving back, I noticed the distinct rumble of a flat tire. I got out and the tire was indeed flat, but there was no nail, or any of the usual road hazards that punctured the tire. Instead the sidewall had a 3 inch gash in it, as if it were slashed with a knife. Now how did that happen while I was driving 30+ MPH?

I feel a little strange even mentioning this one, but I did this cache on Wednesday without reading much of the cache page or any of the accompanying urls. I walked into the area and immediately something felt "wrong." I went back to the car and told my wife to come check it out (didn't tell her what I thought/felt/anything) and she said it felt overwhelmingly sad.

Then I came home and read the other urls...and then I read the hint. I don't know...maybe it's just me...but it was disturbing.

Still, I'd go back.

Bret

I have another cache that is in a very small, very isolated and old cemetery that totally creeps me out.

I put the cache out a few months ago, and was about to leave the cemetery when I got out of my truck and stood by the side of it to take a photo of the little lane leading to the cemetery.

I about croaked when I downloaded the picture. I've never had a picture turn out like that before, or since. The sun wasn't shining either and it was getting close to evening.

Here's the pic, and needless to say, I don't go by myself anymore when I check the cache.

fddeef98-2b49-4a0c-9772-2e79cbdd1d92.jpg

Edited by WebbyCat

If most of that region still didn't still practically glow in the dark (which it did when hastily abandoned following the events of April 25, 1986) This region would be great for hundreds of very creepy hiding places. Special equipment needed would be a cumulative radiation dose meter and a Geiger counter, plus decontamination.

If nothing else some of the photographs on that page and the descriptions of them are creepy.

I about croaked when I downloaded the picture. I've never had a picture turn out like that before, or since. The sun wasn't shining either and it was getting close to evening.

Here's the pic, and needless to say, I don't go by myself anymore when I check the cache.

fddeef98-2b49-4a0c-9772-2e79cbdd1d92.jpg

Don'e be afraid of that picture...it's just the smoke from your cigarette.

see?

DSC01009.jpg

(This is smoke from a candle I blew out)

Edited by The Magical Misfits
If most of that region still didn't still practically glow in the dark (which it did when hastily abandoned following the events of April 25, 1986) This region would be great for hundreds of very creepy hiding places. Special equipment needed would be a cumulative radiation dose meter and a Geiger counter, plus decontamination.

If nothing else some of the photographs on that page and the descriptions of them are creepy.

I read that link this morning.

That was one of the more moving things Ive ever read. The pictures are stunning.

If this doesn't look like a haunted house, I don't know what does.

Here's another one. Near the Buttermilk Falls in PA. I went inside the house; it's quite a wreck. The stairs and 2nd floor are quite dangerous. Based on random 'artifacts' laying around the interior and the flourescent lighting fixtures in the kitchen and whatnot, I'd guess it was abandoned in the 70's; maybe 60's. There's an upright piano in the livingroom; some of its keys still play. There's also an antique cast iron clawfoot bathtub in the bathroom that's worth a few $, I bet. I want to know what brand shingles those are; roof was in great shape!

abandonedhouse1.jpg

abandonedhouse2.jpg

And then there's the Tombstone Cache I visted this past weekend. An old family plot in the middle of fairly remote woods. Surrounded by a Victorian era wrought iron fence for added effect. When I saw the hole in front of this particular headstone, I found myself looking around for whatever (whoever?) may have crawled out of it. No disrespect intended to the souls laid to rest here.

headstone.jpg

The scariest cache I've done recently is my own. I was in the area and I decided to check up on it. It was night, so I needed a flashlight. The cache involves sliding(walking just doesn't describe it) down a steep embankment, which is tricky enough during the day. The cache is near a home. There is no clear line marking the end of the property. I got about two thirds of the way down the slope when I looked up and saw the house, with all of the lights on, and people inside. I then realized that a guy with a flashlight poking around in the backyard might look a wee bit suspicious. Deciding to abort the checkup, I turned off the light and started my way back up the slope in the dark, just waiting for someone to come out with a shotgun.

This cache isn’t really a scary cache for most people but for me being claustrophobic it was.

Here is a copy of my log witch should explain my fears.

August 11 by Mazellan_Trailblazer (117 found)

Boy did I enjoy this one. I enjoyed it so much that on the way up to the cache, I decided to take a dip in the river. lol jk. As I was attempting to cross the river, I slipped on a rock and down I went. I was soaked from the shoulders down. I franticly grabbed something to stop myself from being swept away by the water. Little did I know that I had injured my tailbone and a sprained wrist. I was so cold and in shock that I didn't feel the pain until minutes later. I got my self out of the water and stood for a moment debating on proceeding or heading back to the car. I removed my palm pilot and cell phone; luckily my Gpsr was safely strapped to my wrist and completely waterproof. I handed my palm and cell phone to Bunkerdave who was watching the events on the other side. He having long legs he was able to leap the river with ease. As I stood on the wrong side of the river I continued to debate my course of action. I decided it couldn’t get any worse. Bd had put a medium size log across the river to aid my crossing, but I figured what the heck and I stepped into the rushing river and used the log to balance. I was already wet it didn’t mater. We continued up to the cache, the hard way as usual. After some grueling hiking on the very loose rock we reached the top. Apparently we walked right past the mine and the first cache. Neither of us had sat signal and no lock. Bd hiked up one of the sides of the small canyon to see if he could get a sat lock. He was able to and it said right where I was standing on the upper hole that went nowhere. He found a spring up there and decided to get some water. He has a water-purifying device that kills any bacteria in 15 min. He finished up there and hiked down. We enjoyed a fresh cold drink of water. It tasted great. We continued our search. On our way down we searched every spot that was in the hint. Finally I spotted the mine. I told BD that I had found the mine. He came over and as I was looking for the first cache he spotted it right away.

Attempting to concur my fears I decided to brave the mine. I am HIGHLY Closter phobic. I squeezed into the entrance and into the main body of the cave. It was tight due to my over weightiness. lol I yelled out to Bd and told him he had to come down in, that it was awesome. He came down. Just to be safe, I tied one end the rope to myself and jammed the spool of rope under some rocks. We forged our way into the mine. It was so cool in there. We got to a point that there was enough water to soak through shoes. Bd had a problem but not me. Remember? I was soaked from the shoulders down. We forded through the water and finally found the second part of the cache. We read some of the logs but decided it was time to go. Thoughts going though my head of an earthquake causing us to be buried alive or killed but I shook them from my mind. We looked down the mine and wondered how far it went. It would involve wading through knee-deep water but it would be fun to explore it more. Well it was time to go. We forged our way back to the entrance, and forged down the canyon. I have to say however, that the trip down was cake. We followed the canyon rocks all the way to the river. We searched for the original crossing spot, I spotted a shallow slow moving area and I stepped right in and forged my way across. About 20ft or less I hit the road. We were on our way. Cold and shivering, I contemplated the adventure we had with this cache. It was the most exciting adventurous cache I had completed and alas deserves this detailed log. Thanks very much for the adventure. Finding the final cache was well worth the pain in my tailbone, sprained wrist and wet clothes. Some bad news however, is that my palm probably wont make it. My cell phone seems to be working properly, but we will see when I plug it in to charge. Thanks again for the unforgettable adventure. TNLNSL

Mazellan_Trailblazer

MT