60cs Display

Does anybody have any real pictures of the display of a 60c or 60cs. I'm thinking about buying one but I'm a little leary of purchasing a unit with a color screen. Is it easy to read. How about under backlighting conditions. Speaking of backlighting are the buttons on the unit backlit as well or just the screen? What is everybodys opinion of this unit. Appreciate all help you can give.

:rolleyes: I don't think a photo of the display is going to help you at all. I own a 60c and I can only describe the display as stunning. Easily viewable even in lower light levels. However, I do use the backlight at a very low level in the car to help combat some of the glare. I don't find it any more difficult to see than my Garmin Legend and much easier to pick out details with the color display. I upgraded from the Legend and this unit blows it away!
Does anybody have any real pictures of the display of a 60c or 60cs. I'm thinking about buying one but I'm a little leary of purchasing a unit with a color screen. Is it easy to read. How about under backlighting conditions. Speaking of backlighting are the buttons on the unit backlit as well or just the screen? What is everybodys opinion of this unit. Appreciate all help you can give.

:rolleyes: I was totally amazed at how bright the screen looked and how easy it is to see in bright sunlight. In fact the brighter the sun the better the screen. The backlight is also quite good. Although not as good as in the sun but very readable at night. Not to forget but all the buttons do light up when the backlight is on, not very bright but in the dark in your car you should have no problem seeing them. :rolleyes:

This old thread has some pictures that I took in direct sunlight. They don't really do it justice, but you can get the idea. As others have said, the display is great in full sunlight. When it is vertical in the car and it gets a glare on the glass, it can sometimes be hard to see, but laying horizontal when geocaching, it is crisp and clear.

With the backlight on half power the display is very good in the dark. I just used mine on a driving trip and I could see it fine at night. When autorouting at night with the backlight on, it will go off between turns and automatically come on when close to a turn to conserve battery power.

Rocket Man

Lithum batterys will float nicly.

I didn't know you could use lithium batteries. The manual says to use Alkaline or NiMH. I don't know much about lithiums; they're not rechargeable, are they? Seem like I saw some at Sam's once; I believe they were quite expensive, but they last a long time.

So that was lithiums you had in it when you sank the GPS and it floated back up? Acording to Garmin, it doesn't float. Cool!

I would not play around with a 60C/CS in the water because it's USB connector on back of the unit is not perfectly flush with the plastic. That is the case with my 60C that I have. All the other parts seem to be water proof including the serial/power connector and antenna connector, but not the USB connector on my unit.

Lithum batterys will float nicly.

That's dynamite to know! The first batteries I ran with in my 60C were lithiums and they lasted for a friggin' eternity. Looks like it's time to go back to them when I'll be in/around water.

Thanks we3dements!

Jim

The buttons are lighted when backlighting is on. Do NOT worry about the quality of the color screen. YOU WILL BE PLEASED!!!

These are screen shots - not photos. Photos simply do not do this unit justice!

It has been said many times, these things are phenomenal in direct sunlight! In low light situations, you'll need some backlighting which also looks nice!

Night Mode:

b223b17f-fe91-4958-93d4-8904e0d7a440.jpg

Day Mode:

b65edf98-096c-4aae-9be2-8c732f5a8198.jpg

Edited by Neo_Geo

I just wanted to thank you all that replied. Your all very helpful and I know that I will be purchasing a 60cs as soon as my next paycheck gets here. I'm very pleased to be getting into this sport. It's very exciting and I',m starting to learn that the people involved are very helpful, trustworthy, and just plain fun. Thanks again ;);)

Neo Geo

In your daytime mode shots your map screen looks very yellow. Does it really look that color? I cant seem to change the actual map background color except in the night time mode.

Y'know... those aren't really mine! I think I stole 'em from "Got GPS?" as a matter of fact ;)

Mine is actually a sandy, brownish-orange background. Now that you mention it, I'd be interested in knowing how he got it yellow.

I would not play around with a 60C/CS in the water because it's USB connector on back of the unit is not perfectly flush with the plastic. That is the case with my 60C that I have. All the other parts seem to be water proof including the serial/power connector and antenna connector, but not the USB connector on my unit.

Just because the rubber caps don't seal perfectly doesn't mean the connectors themselves aren't sealed in the body of the GPS. I would suspect that the connectors are filled with epoxy on the inside of the GPS thus making it waterproof with or without the rubber caps. Otherwise they couldn't advertise there waterproof rating.

I've let mine sit underwater completely submersed for several minutes without any negative affects.

Edited by MacBandit

Hey - it's not the greatest shot and may not answer your questions, but here's a photo I posted in another thread: Guess where I was.....

The display is actually better than what you see, as it's in a case from the GPSstore, with a clear, somewhat thick plastic front that tends to glare.

edit: trying to get the URL to the right entry.

Edited by WxMaker
The buttons are lighted when backlighting is on. Do NOT worry about the quality of the color screen. YOU WILL BE PLEASED!!!

These are screen shots - not photos. Photos simply do not do this unit justice!

It has been said many times, these things are phenomenal in direct sunlight! In low light situations, you'll need some backlighting which also looks nice!

Night Mode:

b223b17f-fe91-4958-93d4-8904e0d7a440.jpg

Day Mode:

b65edf98-096c-4aae-9be2-8c732f5a8198.jpg

I noticed that on the Day Mode>Unit Setup screenshot there is a Temperature setting. I checked the garmin site and it says nothing about a temp function. can someone tell me if it can display temperatures!

I noticed that on the Day Mode>Unit Setup screenshot there is a Temperature setting. I checked the garmin site and it says nothing about a temp function. can someone tell me if it can display temperatures!

1. Internal temperature sensor is used for calibrating the GPSr to make it more accurate. It's only visible in the diagnostic page. 2. Selectable temperature field in the Setup menu is used when connecting a fishfinder (sonar) to measure water temperature.

You can find more in theGarmin 60CS/76CS FAQ

I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but the screen on the 60cs seems to be just fine in cold weather.

With the old legend, and most lcd screens cold weathe tends to slow them down. I fired up the 60cs after being out in the car all night and it worked like normal.

Do the color screens handle the temps beter?

Joe Smith