Huge Yearly Cache

SandLizard

Im just wondering if someone would actually make a cache that only happened once a year or a couple years. Or like some cache that it has to be a full moon and you have to take twelve paces east and move a rock to find a piece of paper that has a clue to tell you were to go. If you dont understand what i mean, like if it had to be once a year where there's a spot were you can see the moon through a tree next to a lake and when the reflection hit a mirror on a rock in the lake it shines to another etc. It'd be a long cache but would anyone make one like that, or would someone actually do that cache if there was one?

Edited by SandLizard

Not sure if it would really work how you have envisioned it to...If it was only once a year, you would get a big group of people sitting there waiting for their turn to turn over the rock and see where they were supposed to go...or they would just all follow the first guy/girl who turned over the rock (or whatever item is used...)

Would be pretty cool if you could work it out somehow though...

Maybe you could have several caches placed that would give a date, time and place (coords) to meet to log the final leg of the cache...and everyone meets up ....kinda like an Event-Multi...

You COULD always try reading the Guidelines for hiding a cache. If you did, you might notice this part answers your question.

How do you see this vague passage answering this particular question? What am I missing?

If the cache is within his/her cache area, as described in the "rules", is more that .2 from another cache, and not placed while on vacation, what is the problem?

Edited to add:

Why do some "old-timers, long-timers, self-proclaimed know-it-alls, always assume that no one has read the regulations? I have read them 50+ times, and never would have applied the passage about vacation caches to this persons idea, so it is completely possible that this cacher DID read the guidelines, and just interpreted them differently, came to the forums to bounce an idea off the community.

Edited by Cherokeecacher

A cache that is only in place for "once a year or a couple years" and disabled again for 1 or more years doesnt sound like a very permanent cache to me.

I wonder how many people would want to see a cache on their nearest unfound list that they cant even look for until 2006?

Nor would I care for a park being blocked from having a cache by one that is only available one day every few years.

Edited to add:

Why do some "old-timers, long-timers, self-proclaimed know-it-alls, always assume that no one has read the regulations? I have read them 50+ times, and never would have applied the passage about vacation caches to this persons idea, so it is completely possible that this cacher DID read the guidelines, and just interpreted them differently, came to the forums to bounce an idea off the community.

Well, obviously you need to read them 51 times, since the part I linked to has nothing to do with vacation caches.

Cache Permanence

When you report a cache on the Geocaching.com web site, geocachers should (and will) expect the cache to be there for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move (“traveling caches”), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for events) may not be approved.

One day is hardly a realistic and extended period of time, is it? And last time I checked, one day is a lot less then 3 months.

See, and I can even post that without editing in personal insults.

Edited by Mopar
A cache that is only in place for "once a year or a couple years" and disabled again for 1 or more years doesnt sound like a very permanent cache to me.

I wonder how many people would want to see a cache on their nearest unfound list that they cant even look for until 2006?

Nor would I care for a park being blocked from having a cache by one that is only available one day every few years.

Hence the reason I suggested making it an Event cache...

Ahh, I just can't let this slide. :rolleyes:

Why do some "old-timers, long-timers, self-proclaimed know-it-alls, always assume that no one has read the regulations?

Because almost every single day we have someone posting in the forums complaining that their buried cache under the railroad tracks in the national park 2000 miles from home wasnt approved. Since only 1% of cachers even use the forums, that means for every one person complaining, there are 99 more we never hear from.

Okay, I've combined the major ideas of this cache into one. You'd list it as an event, but not list the actual date, time or location. Then you'd go out and hide three separate caches, each with one piece of information, either the date, time or location. Cachers would have to go find all three. Once they find all three, they'll be able to RSVP on the cache page. The event itself will just be a picnic followed by maybe some group caching. Cachers would get to log a find for attending the event, and a find just because they found the three caches and got the right info. And hopefully, as part of the event, the three caches with the info would also be listed as permanent caches. Thus, the attendees would log 3-5 smileys and have an overall fun time.

I hope you guys don't mind if I use this. It might still need a bit of tweaking, but I can figure it out I think... I'll put it in my filing cabinet with the rest of the event ideas that I want to have next summer...

Heh, another nice cache by those guys (I also liked the British-American one). As to this idea, tough luck if you don't like it being on your nearest list. Until an ignore option is implemented, this is what everyone must do with the caches they choose not to do. There are a number of ancient calendars, etc (like Mayan ruins of Mexico and Stonehenge) that all play on specific time and dates for certain occurances. I'm sure your own could be developed or built. This cache idea wouldn't need to be disabled when the right date/time frame wasn't arriving (since the cache is still perfectly fine). There's nothing temporary about this cache and could even lead to fun gatherings on the appointed dates/times.

I like it and feel that it fits the guidelines just fine.

You COULD always try reading the Guidelines for hiding a cache. If you did, you might notice this part answers your question.

I'm not sure if that fits. It will be there for an extended period of time, but only findable on certain days.

I'm in agreement. The cache is there, the puzzle can only be solved at specific times. That doesn't stop muggles from finding it on accident, or a cacher from following the owner to the cache and finding it that way.

It's no worse (and probably better) than a puzzle cache that is a major bitch to solve and so get's one finder every other year.

Okay, I've combined the major ideas of this cache into one. You'd list it as an event, but not list the actual date, time or location. Then you'd go out and hide three separate caches, each with one piece of information, either the date, time or location. Cachers would have to go find all three. Once they find all three, they'll be able to RSVP on the cache page. The event itself will just be a picnic followed by maybe some group caching. Cachers would get to log a find for attending the event, and a find just because they found the three caches and got the right info. And hopefully, as part of the event, the three caches with the info would also be listed as permanent caches. Thus, the attendees would log 3-5 smileys and have an overall fun time.

I hope you guys don't mind if I use this. It might still need a bit of tweaking, but I can figure it out I think... I'll put it in my filing cabinet with the rest of the event ideas that I want to have next summer...

Please hide this soon. I have already sent my goat boy leggings to the dry cleaners and am practicing the full moon dance and chant at night after everyone else has gone home from work. :o