Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Delta-S

Amateur Satellite

Couple guys were giving a demo of working the sat at a meeting last week.

Echo is very easy to hear and contact. One of the guys was able to hear it with just the rubber duck. Needed a better antenna to transmit though. He made a contact with a guy about 1400 miles away at one point. Not bad for using a HT in a parking lot. :rolleyes:

I got a dual band HT and the antenna needed to work satellites on my wish list now. I want to contact the ISS as well.

A friend of mine has a portable beam that is hand held. The balun is in the handle and the thing has a bicycle grip hand grip and is made of aluminum. If I remember correctly, it was from Arrow and was in a Yagi configuration with about 6 elements. He was able to talk on it quite nicely by his report using his HT. Tempting, but with the big stations pumping out the watts, in the US, you would get blown off the sat more often than not.

Several of the local club members have that particular Arrow antenna, and all are pleased with it.

Some of the the local hams made contacts recently on Echo, but they had an advantage antenna wise:

Great antenna!

Arrow Antennas

That is the antenna on my wish list.

yep... I've seen one on ebay over the past 6 months or so... BIN price of $75 (including the duplexer) and it finally sold for like $130.

I hate being broke.

Talked to the local satellite guru up here (he is quickly becoming my elmer on several subjects).

He said that all you need to work the Echo satellite is a beam for UHF and you can use the rubber duck or telescopic antenna on a VHF HT.

He was able to work Echo from his truck using his VHF mobile with mag mount antenna to transmit and a hand held yagi style beam to listen on a UHF HT.

Sounds like a somewhat cheap way to work satellites if you dont have a dual band radio or a duplexer antenna.

Now I'm confused...

Use the beam antenna for transmit / uplink ?

Or for receive / downlink ?

Edited by Delta-S

downlink.

Uplink is on VHF and downlink is on UHF.

Dual band radio or two seperate radios are needed to do it. All you are doing is listening on the UHF side, but you need a better antenna than a rubber duck to hear the satellite very well. A handheld yagi style does the trick. Here is a neat little antenna that I plan on building. Would be a good fit for a geocaching pack.

One guy up here actually uses an old police scanner to listen to the downlink.

Actually, you need a good antenna for BOTH.

You might as well get this drilled into your head early on. Antenna is EVERYTHING! The best radio in a 19" wet noodle is hopeless. A fair radio on a great antenna will perform well.

Spend you $$$$ on the antenna.

ANTENNA IS EVERYTHING !!!!!

Arrow Antennas

yep... I've seen one on ebay over the past 6 months or so... BIN price of $75 (including the duplexer) and it finally sold for like $130.

I hate being broke.

Its 132.00 at ARROWS websire..... with duplexer.

Spend you $$$$ on the antenna.

ANTENNA IS EVERYTHING !!!!!

You cna have a $2000.00 doller rig, if You have a LIGHTBULB (Ive used one before for a DX contact though) antenna, your not going to perform as well as an antenna designd for the mode you want to use. Either home brew (which is fun) and commercial bought....

Desert Warrior could not have said it better

Just bought a kit to make the micro diplexer you find in the arrow antennas. Should be a fun project to attempt.

Better start to pracitce on my soldering.....

Arrow Antennas

I hate being broke.

Its 132.00 at ARROWS websire..... with duplexer.

yeah, but the bag isn't included in that price.

:o

Bilder:

You absolutely rule!! Thank-you for sharing the information...I'm intrigued about satellite communications, and now you've shown me that I might have a snowballs chance in XXXX to make it a compromised reality with my little VX-5R!!! I'm off to start reading up on this!!!

and don't forget that just the other day, they turned on of the ARISS rigs into an FM crossband repeater. Should be running for at least a few days.

437.80 up, 145.80 down

Ok here is the question. Please no flames as I know its a novice question.

While I know that to uplink with fidelity to the ARISS, you would need a beam, can you hear it with a 5/8 wave dipole?

OK, I am now tempted. I found that the satellite will be visible at about 9:15 pm at my place. I have the frequencies. Is the satellite hearable before its visible?

I listen regularly with my VX5 and an aftermarket antenna, but it's still a rubber ducky.

But I wouldn't have grand aspirations of getting into it with the antenna - I'm sure it could happen, but the signal would suck (technical term)

and don't forget that just the other day, they turned on of the ARISS rigs into an FM crossband repeater. Should be running for at least a few days.

437.80 up, 145.80 down

I entered 145.8 on my scanner on the 14th. This morning at 1:03am cdt, while reading the newspaper, I heard activity. I didn't have my tape recorder set up or pen and paper handy to copy call signs. It seems that someone from Martinsburg, WVA was making quick contacts with hams in the Chicago area. There was real clear communication for about 2 mins then I could hear mics keying until nothing at 1:07. My antenna is indoor and is adjustable length center loaded from Radio Shack.

I am at N42deg 25min x W087deg 50min. Is there a way to find out when this satellite will be near me? Btw, I did hear ISS link, or something like that..

Thanks for the software link Bilder. I DLd it last night, and gotta say that i liked what I saw initially. Still have to get into it deeper, to understand what it is telling me. Cool graphics, etc. I have a Micro-Duplexer on its way to me too. Now I have to hit my favorite scrapyard to get some aluminum to build an antenna.

One idea for parts is to call a local archery range/shop if there is one in your area.

They are bound to have arrows that are bent and such that they throw away. Ask if they will set them aside for you. You can probably get a bunch that you can use for the elements.

and don't forget that just the other day, they turned on of the ARISS rigs into an FM crossband repeater.  Should be running for at least a few days.

437.80 up, 145.80 down

I entered 145.8 on my scanner

I heard one from Iowa and another from Toledo,Oh at 17:35 cdt today(Sep 29). It only lasted for a minute. Notice that I'm about half way between those two. Apparently this is going to last for more than a few days.

Btw, thanks for the tracking links. They look great for someone who would be trying to make contacts. I'm just a casual listener and have no set schedule. :D