Approver Status

hello friends and neighbors'

ye olde balde headed archie here

okay, i have a question, how does one become a geocache approver.

is this purely a volunteering thing and what type of guidelines apply to approvers.

next qusetion...

what is the process that leads to an individual becoming an approver, what are an approvers rights, priveleges, and responcibilties.

regards

ye olde bald headed archie :ph34r:

Although the previous answers have some truth to them, the serious answer is that if GC.COM needs an approver they will approach someone who has solid geocaching experience and a track record of working with local and state officials to advance geocaching in their region.

If the person says yes, they will then reject him and ask someone else, because obviously that person is too stupid to have the job :ph34r: . If they have to beg, plead and offer big wads of cash, then they know they have the right person.

Approvers really don't have any additional rights that I know of, other than the stuff they need to peform their administrative duties like being able to see caches before they are approved and being able to lock and manipulate forum threads, etc...

As far as responsibilities, they are there to make sure that caches comply with the guidelines set forth by GC.COM and don't violate any known rules, regulations or bans effected by local, state and federal governments. Most admins also seem to keep an eye on caches in their region making sure that caches aren't disabled for too long and they try to address problem caches.

Edited by briansnat
You must provide a sign affadavit from at least 3 mental health practitioners that you are in fact, "out of your mind". Or so I hear, anyway.

Hey, if that's true, I'm a go! :ph34r:

Briansnat - I believe that approvers get 5 extra PQs as "payment" for their services... But that's the only benefit they get. Besides a commitment long headache.

Briansnat - I believe that approvers get 5 extra PQs as "payment" for their services... But that's the only benefit they get.  Besides a commitment long headache.

Not exactly. No extra pocket queries per se. I have one reviewing account and I pay $30.00 each year for my Charter Membership. Those that pay yearly for a regular account and have a reviewer separate could use extra pocket queries from the reviewer account. I don't know of anyone that does that really though. Thirty-five queries a week is plenty for me.

Since I have a separate reviewer account, I do get five extra queries per day. Generally I use them for stuff related to my volunteer work, like seeing lists of disabled caches for the three states I cover, lists of all caches that have changed in the past week, lists of new caches to make sure they're being found OK, and so forth. Like mtn-man, I've never exceeded my quota of five PQ's per day.

To become a reviewer, generally you get asked if and when a need is identified. When an existing volunteer's workload gets too heavy, someone else gets added. Usually it is someone who is active in their local geocaching organization and/or has done other stuff to promote the activity. It also helps to have found and hidden a few geocaches.

RK is correct. Reviewing your own cache isn't a big deal, and often if there is *any* question we wind up asking for an independent review anyways. And being a member of the SOLP isn't all it's cracked up to be. Rather than being a perk, it was actually quite a painful process.

So that leaves just one benefit.

:rolleyes::):rolleyes::)

:D Hydee :)

:):):D:wub:

RK is correct. Reviewing your own cache isn't a big deal, and often if there is *any* question we wind up asking for an independent review anyways. And being a member of the SOLP isn't all it's cracked up to be. Rather than being a perk, it was actually quite a painful process.

:rolleyes::):rolleyes::)

:D Hydee :)

:):):D:wub:

Hey Keystone, didn't you say a while back that you get the occasional care package of awesome Groundspeak goodies?

Aren't people who are active with their local groups too busy to spend time look at other people's caches? We have 3 events this week, for crying out loud, and one of them will last 3 days... Plus, I'm getting requests for more info about our Org and sport from government and watershed people. I can hardly spend time working as it is... "How Can Geocaching Survive?"

RK is correct.  Reviewing your own cache isn't a big deal, and often if there is *any* question we wind up asking for an independent review anyways.  And being a member of the SOLP isn't all it's cracked up to be.  Rather than being a perk, it was actually quite a painful process.

:):wub::rolleyes::)

:rolleyes:  Hydee  :)

:D:wub::):wub:

Hey Keystone, didn't you say a while back that you get the occasional care package of awesome Groundspeak goodies?

Yes, but that is subsumed within my prior response. All good things come through Hydee.

hello friends and neighbors'

ye olde balde headed archie here

okay, i have a question, how does one become a geocache approver.

is this purely a volunteering thing and what type of guidelines apply to approvers.

next qusetion...

what is the process that leads to an individual becoming an approver, what are an approvers rights, priveleges, and responcibilties.

regards

ye olde bald headed archie :rolleyes:

I think one requirement is you must do everything you can to disapprove virtual caches.

RK is correct.  Reviewing your own cache isn't a big deal, and often if there is *any* question we wind up asking for an independent review anyways.  And being a member of the SOLP isn't all it's cracked up to be.  Rather than being a perk, it was actually quite a painful process.

B):oB)B)

:)  Hydee  :)

:):D:wub:B)

Yes, but that is subsumed within my prior response. All good things come through Hydee.

So do double-secret probations! B)

Aren't people who are active with their local groups too busy to spend time look at other people's caches? We have 3 events this week, for crying out loud, and one of them will last 3 days... Plus, I'm getting requests for more info about our Org and sport from government and watershed people. I can hardly spend time working as it is... "How Can Geocaching Survive?"
Shut up and get back to work! I'll see you on Saturday, but no complaining! B)

:o Back to the Topic: It takes a full head of natural hair!

To be a cache reviewer it takes a Zen attitude. One must not strive for it. Only by not striving for it can you obtain the position. Not unlike the quest for Nirvana, the lack of all desires. If you desire Nirvana you can never obtain it.

Put that on your rice paper grasshopper.

The above is a quote from the double secret training manual for cache reviewers.

the Quote is from Sensi Hydee. 7th degree cache belt.

Edited by CO Admin