Should Muggles Take The First Finders Award?

yami01

Actually the first finder on one of my caches was a muggle hunter who happened to rest on the log my cache was hidden under. After reading the cache information sheet he took the FTF prize and left an item of equal value in the cache. His actions were as good or better then many cachers out there. He re-hid the cache as well as it was originally hidden and he traded evenly. He definately deserved the FTF prize. :ph34r:

Should muggles take the first finders award? NO! They should take the entire cache. Stupid, stupid muggles. If they can't get the routine right, send 'em back to muggle school.

Darn those uneducated, hillbilly muggles! :ph34r:

Seriously though, there's no rule that if a muggle finds a cache that they can't play the game and trade and log, so what's to say that if they're FTF that they can't trade and log.

But as someone else said, I don't think the cache could be hidden very well if a muggle scored a FTF...

Stumbling across a cache doesn't take the same amount of work that it does to

1. pick it out off the lists,

2. get the info,

3. load your GPSr,

4. plan a route,

5. wander to the area,

6. fall in some mud,

7. follow the GPSr,

8. look right past where the cache is to where you think it ought to be,

9. give up in disgust,

10. come back a different day...

Although, sure, it's nice the guy followed protocol when he found out how geocachers do it. :ph34r:

But have you ever stumbled across a cache when you weren't looking for one, even though you're a geocacher? What are the odds of that, I wonder?

Stumbling across a cache doesn't take the same amount of work that it does to

1. pick it out off the lists,

2. get the info,

3. load your GPSr,

4. plan a route,

5. wander to the area,

6. fall in some mud,

7. follow the GPSr,

8. look right past where the cache is to where you think it ought to be,

9. give up in disgust,

10. come back a different day...

Although, sure, it's nice the guy followed protocol when he found out how geocachers do it. :ph34r:

But have you ever stumbled across a cache when you weren't looking for one, even though you're a geocacher? What are the odds of that, I wonder?

No it doesn't, but the second person there is still the second to find the cache, no matter how the first finder came across it.

Regardless of whether the muggle should or shouldn't take the FTF prize a muggle isn't playing by our rules anyway so if he takes it what can be done about it? Ban the muggle from the geocache community for life?

You don't know who the muggle is/was do you? It is doubtful that a muggle would leave his real name, address, phone #(s), email address, etc. so you can't contact him and demand that he return your property that was left in the woods.

A muggle who finds a cache, signs it, trade or not, and re-hides it, is a geocacher.

Today's muggle, tomorrow's cacher? :rolleyes:

I do agree though. ANYONE who finds the cache, I don't care how they did it, is a cacher as long as they respect the basic rules of trading items and replacing the cache as you found it.

I changed the wording of the standard GC stash note to say "congratulations, you've just found your first geocache!" -- seems more friendly and also an attempt to encourage them to take it up as an activity.

Muggle logs are really cool actually... Usually a lot more interesting than mine. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Anthony

No, but I've stumbled across letterboxes. And the odds of that happening seem to be getting higher as geocachers and letterboxers tend to pick the same great spots.

I hope letterboxers are not complaining that geocachers are stumbling across their letterboxes without going to the LBNA site, getting the clues and figuring out where those are.

I sure hope all future muggles see this thread so they know what to do when the stumble upon a virgin cache.

Hmm...where can I find a cache of...NM

I actually propose that we vote to smack people who use the term "muggle"...I hate it...this is Geocaching...not a story about a boy wizard...lets come up with something diferent...like "future cacher"...or "someone"

I sure hope all future muggles see this thread so they know what to do when the stumble upon a virgin cache.

I actually propose that we vote to smack people who use the term "muggle"...I hate it...this is Geocaching...not a story about a boy wizard...lets come up with something diferent...like "future cacher"...or "someone"

:lol: Lighten up. It's just a game. If it bothers you that much, you're taking it way too seriously. sheesh

Edited by TotemLake

:lol: Lighten up. It's just a game. If it bothers you that much, you're taking it way too seriously. sheesh

Sorry if that sounded too serious...I have a very sarcastic way about me...I take very little seriously...unless it directly affects my life or those I care about ;)

i think it would be really cool to "muggle" a cache. (edit clarification- I don't mean "steal" the cache or "trash" the cache, just find it without having the coordinates or even knowing that one is hidden nearby)

I look in every hollow tree I see. And if I'm FTF without benefit of coordinates, I think I'll claim it (and the prize if any).

But I guess I can't truly be a muggle since I know that such things as caches exist and that they proliferate in hollow trees. So never mind.

Edited by ChurchCampDave