Who Is Watching My Cache

Greco

Aren't you curious as to who is watching your cache. Or your watching that cache that moves around alot with 16 other cachers. Are you curious as to who they are? Is there someway to find the handle names of anyone watching your cache or other caches?

Greco

In short, no and no.

I'm not really curious as to who is watching my caches; I'm just happy to see that others find them interesting enough to watch in the first place.

As to the second question, no there is no system in place for finding out who is watching a given cache. Several schemes have been proposed, but I don't know any details about them. A search of the forums will probably find numerous postings and threads on this subject, and I'm sure someone will come along and post links to a few of them shortly.

The long and short of it is that a lot of people who watch caches don't want to be known, and since that feature was not available in the past many people would be upset if it was available now.

The verdict during the last debate is that it would be more acceptable for the owner of a listing to see who is watching their cache, but not allow random accounts that ability.

Personally, I don't think it is really necessary to know, and gives an air of mystery to it all. If you think someone is watching your cache with sinister intent, we can find out who is watching it and investigate on our end.

I feel a little odd posting after such a definitive answer from Jeremy... but one way you could find out who is watching your cache (or at least the people who want you to know...) is to post a note in your cache log and see if anyone responds. I have thought of doing this for mine (there are a couple of watchers), but just haven't gotten around to it.

I'm one of those that are curious about who is watching my caches, and can't understand why it's an issue with the watchers that I know who they are. In my opinion it has nothing to do with privacy, but I don't want to stray too far off topic. I'll just say that I vote that this feature be added, and then expect that it won't happen. :rolleyes:

After a similar thread a few months ago I posted a note to one of my favorite caches, asking the people watching it to let me know who they were. There were 9 watchers, and only 3 replied. If you use this method I hope you get better results.

During that email exchange, I found out from a very prolific cacher in my area that another local cacher watches every cache he's ever logged as a find. I didn't hear from that guy, so I assume he gets so much email from GC.COM that he just deletes most of it without reading it.

I've slao realized that spam filters block email from GC.COM sometimes, so that could also account for some non-replies.

Greco, I am not watching any of your geocaches, so you can eliminate me from the possible-watcher list. Does this help? :rolleyes:

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

Maybe you can post a note saying that you put a $100 bill in the geocache. Then you can go sit on the geocache and see who shows up.

Okay, that's also stupid.

I think you're just going to have to wonder, dude. I, too, sometimes wonder who is watching mine but (as was said earlier) it's also just nice to know that someone cares. {sniff}

Wouldn't it be REALLY helpful if you picked up your phone receiver and it said, "5 government agencies are bugging your phone" or if you went to your mailbox and there was a note that said, "3 spies have read your mail".

In a dorkish mood,

Seth!