Projection????

Big W

You can project a position without knowing the exact lat/lon. I've used this feature on a multi that had a compass bearing and a number of paces to the next station, but did not use coordinates. Basically what it does is create a waypoint based on the direction and distance you input; you can then go directly to that point. If your figuring is correct, it should match up with the location of the cache, give or take, depending on the length of your paces.

I also use it when sailing at night to project and monitor my progress toward a mark.

"All of us are standing in the mud, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

What you can think of it as is offsetting a waypoint. Say you have a waypoint for a multi-cache and the directions say that the next waypoint is at 324 degrees and 1.8 miles. If you do a projection from the original way point using 324 degrees and 1.8 miles you will now have a new waypoint that is the second location of the cache (or next step).

What it did was take your current location (or waypoint) and move it 1.8 miles along a 324 degree bearing. Then it figured out the new coordinates and gave those to you.

A word of caution, if the platinum is like the 315 then make sure you save the projection as a new waypoint before you exit the screen otherwise you'll lose it and have to start over.

----

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

Let's say you see a hill you want to go too. You estimate it's about 2000 feet away. You check the compass direction which is let's say 315 degrees. So you project a waypoitn to 2000 feet at 315 degrees and start heading towards it.

Now, even as you lose sight of the destination hil as you hike through the woods, you have your final destination set as a waypoint. The 2000 feet might not be exact, but it will get you into the ballpark.

Alan

You can also use projection to get coordinates for a cache you have placed in a location with poor satellite reception. You pace off the distance to this spot with better reception. (You need to know the length of your stride). Then you shoot a bearing to the cache, so that you now have bearing and distance and can project the coordinates of the cache location. You can compare these projected coordinates with the coordinates at the cache location. I have seen coordinates be off by as much as 150 feet because of poor reception, and this is one method to correct for that. When you do the projection, you have to make sure that you are using the same units of distance and that your bearing type (magnetic or grid) is the same as the GPS is set for, by checking the setup menu. Changing over to metric distance and and UTM coordinates will make this easier. Fifty meters east or west will increase or decrease the first set of coordinates by 50, while 50 meters north or south will increase or decrease your second coordinate by 50. Using the UTM method, you can project a waypoint even if your GPSr doesn't support that function. Once you have the UTM coordinates, just change back to h.mm.ddd.ddd to get the coordinates in Lat & Long decimal degrees format.

If while camping someone tells you of a cool spot

relative to one of your waypoints you can project and save it so you don't forget it,if you do not have time to visit it this trip.

Trout

PS I just wish the yellow etrex could project

less than 500 feet for the use that jonboy

stated

Oh Here's one that I have used often. After I've started hiking in the woods for about ten minutes, I remember I forgot to mark my car. (Oh. You too?)

So I turn around, check the bearing and guess the approximate distance to the car or the trailhead and mark a waypoint.

One of these days I'll remember to do it first!

Alan