If You Had $1000....

skippysan

Wow... I have been reading through the forums and looking at various web sites trying to decide which unit to buy. I know this type of question gets asked all of the time, but I had do it anyway... sorry.

I currently use the Garmin eTrex (yellow), but I am going to be purchasing a new unit. My only limit is that I can't spend more than $1000....

Now, I like the Garmin unit that I currently use and I know people are going to argue Magellan vs. Garmin, so let's say that I am going to stick with the Garmin line of products. (Unless someone is really persuasive.)

If you had $1000 to spend on a new unit, what would you buy and why? (I have been reading about the pros and cons of the 60cs vs the 76cs, but I think that if I buy the cheaper one I could also get a new computer... so anyway....) Is it really worth it to spend the money on a high end unit, when the eTrex has been doing a fine job for me?

Thanks!

jake

Edited by skippysan

It depends on how you use it.

If you don't have a desire to start using maps on your GPS, or if the 500 waypoint limit is starting to cramp your style then an upgrade may make sence.

However if you don't care about maps, the 500 waypoints are working fine, and your plain old compass does the job then your GPS isn't broken and will lead you to many more caches. Then you can get a better computer, or even a low end laptop.

O.K....How will this thing be used primarily? On the road, finding you way around strange cities and looking for your favorite places to eat? Or...finding your way around the back country...trails, hiking, camping, fishing, hunting etc,? If you say both, which do you feel will be the majority?

I upgraded from a Legend to a 60cs because I liked the idea of auto-routing and I wanted a color display. I can honestly say that the 60cs is AWESOME and I have never had any trouble with mine.

If you want auto-routing, you will need to buy City Select but it is worth it. I am thrilled with my 60cs and City Select 6.

Just my 2 cents! :ph34r:

Wow... I have been reading through the forums and looking at various web sites trying to decide which unit to buy. I know this type of question gets asked all of the time, but I had do it anyway... sorry.

I currently use the Garmin eTrex (yellow), but I am going to be purchasing a new unit. My only limit is that I can't spend more than $1000....

Now, I like the Garmin unit that I currently use and I know people are going to argue Magellan vs. Garmin, so let's say that I am going to stick with the Garmin line of products. (Unless someone is really persuasive.)

If you had $1000 to spend on a new unit, what would you buy and why? (I have been reading about the pros and cons of the 60cs vs the 76cs, but I think that if I buy the cheaper one I could also get a new computer... so anyway....) Is it really worth it to spend the money on a high end unit, when the eTrex has been doing a fine job for me?

Thanks!

jake

Not sure what you have in mind for usage, but I'd keep the etrex for geocaching and use the money to buy a Garmin 2610 for the car at around 730.00 on amazon. Get a CF card with money left over.

Not sure what you have in mind for usage, but I'd keep the etrex for geocaching and use the money to buy a Garmin 2610 for the car at around 730.00 on amazon. Get a CF card with money left over.

I agree 100%. The 2610 for the car is outstanding. The huge touchscreen, remote control, and voice prompts just blow away the 60/76 models that are designed to be used more for hiking or outdoors. Keep your eTrex for caching, and get a 2610 for the car. You'll love it!

I would buy a 76CS w/ City Select, a selection of RAM mounts for my car/bike/canoe and put the remaining $400 into my pocket. :rolleyes:

....wait a minute, that's what I DID !!! :rolleyes:

I don't know about you, but one GPS is plenty for me when it comes to downloading and uploading geocache waypoints to more than one unit. I prefer one unit for autorouting and subsequent hiking to a cache or campsite or ???

If I had the cash I would have a 2620 and an autorouting-handheld.

use the money to buy a Garmin 2610 for the car at around 730.00 on amazon. Get a CF card with money left over.

Are you in need of a Palm? Look at the IQue for your car. It has the same brains" as the 2610, same color screen (not the same size), same voice prompts and comes with City Select software. Plus it has all the advantages of a Palm device, plays MP3's, shows off digital pictures and more. AND it's cheaper than the 2610! I put a 256 mb SD card in mine and let me tell you, that holds a lot of maps! The card was just a little over $40, bought on the internet. I don't care if the screen size is quite as large as the 2610, 'cause with the voice prompts, I'm not paying much attention to the screen! Also, it's much more portable than the larger (much larger) 2610. You will have to buy the auto kit for it for your car ($80) but it's still cheaper, even with that. And come on...Who really needs a remote in your car for Heaven's sake?