Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brad The Great

Geocache Nets

I was considering a Caching net on HF. Perhaps while people are out caching they could all sit on a certain frequency. Perhaps 20 meters. Since most places don't have many active hams on 2 meters ( I don't know of any around here) we could all sit on one HF frequency and shoot the breeze. We could even do a joint caching around the country at the same time. Maybe a little wierd but hey, No new traffic on here for awhile.

Brad

Agree with Steelhead. A IRLP linked net would be fun. It would also give me a means of practicing this type of communication as I don't have anybody to talk to on the IRLP.

well i can run the net i run a net here every week...

and if you guys want to chat on IRLP just give me a e_mail or post here with a time and node # i will chat

SteelHead[bC]

I don't have any access to an IRLP setup. Were in the sticks out here. I don't even have access to a repeater in most of my caching areas. But I am intrigued. How does this IRLP work? Would a simplex link to a radio hooked to a computer work? I could probably arrange that in my area.

There is a listing of IRLP repeaters world wide. You might try to google to this list and see if there is one in your area. There is one in Omaha, but it will cost me $60 a year to use it. Not sure that its that high on my priority list, I would be more likely to drop $60 to support the local repeaters that are used for ARES.

60 bucks for repeater access?

Thought the theory on repeaters was that they were meant for public use. I mean if you charge for using a repeater or want it for "private use" your list of folks to talk to would be rather small.

There is only one repeater up here that is closed to the general ham community. The rest, both club owned and privately owned are open for all to use. Guess the owner of the closed one is not well liked for several reasons. I have been told that if he jumps on my case for being a new ham to ignore him.

Thought the theory on repeaters was that they were meant for public use.  I mean if you charge for using a repeater or want it for "private use" your list of folks to talk to would be rather small.

There is a group of repeaters based in Cincinnati that covers a significant portion of Ohio, and parts of IN and KY. They do charge an annual fee to help defer the costs of maintaining so many repeater sites, long distance links, etc.

Check out the Fairfield Amateur Radio Association.

* Not affiliated with FARA in anyway - just a past member.