Map Source To Etrex Transfer Errors

david g

I use map source to download waypoints to my garmin etrex legend and 4 times I we have been geocaching and I check the coords and they are off! I think it is the transfer. Does anyone else have the problems?

What coords are you inputing into MapSource? Sometimes the coords listed at the top of the cache listing are either bogus (Mystery Caches), or they are for a parking location.

I have been using the MapSource Software for over two years now, and it always transfers exactly as the waypoints were inputed. In fact, I dl the "gpx" files, convert them to "wpt" files, "import" to MapSource....and then send them to the GPSr. I only have the problem when I have not paid attention to the cache description. i.e. 'The coords listed above are only for parking", or "Don't go to above listed Coordinates". In that case, I will edit the waypoint to append it with "P" for parking location, or "-1" for 1st waypoint, and "-F" for Final Waypoint, etc. Much easier to edit the waypoint on the laptop, then trying to push click sticks and rocker pads.

Hope this answered your question, but maybe it only served to generate more questions.

JayBee

When I first got MapSource, I noticed if I typed in coordinates by hand, they would be way off. Once I started linking them (with a cable), they are pretty acurate. Once in a while, if I mark a beach house, it will show up out in the "water" but streets and other landmarks are right on. Lake and ocean shorelines seem a little flakey, but rivers are good.

Si

Make sure that you have the same waypoint settings (the hddd mm'ss thing) on boht MapSource and the GPS. I haven't experienced this problem in MapSource, but I seem to remember having the same problem in EasyGPS one time because I had temporarily changed this thing on my GPS.