60c Accessories

wapow

Ok, about 5 minutes ago, I purchased a 60c online to upgrade from my Legend. Of course I recently bought MetroGuide USA V5 for the Legend and now I'm wondering if that software will work with the 60c or do I have to get CitySelect?

Also, does anyone have any info of the best (or worst) way to mount the 60c in my vehicle?

Thanks!

Wapow <_<

Ok, about 5 minutes ago, I purchased a 60c online to upgrade from my Legend. Of course I recently bought MetroGuide USA V5 for the Legend and now I'm wondering if that software will work with the 60c or do I have to get CitySelect?

Also, does anyone have any info of the best (or worst) way to mount the 60c in my vehicle?

Thanks!

Wapow :ph34r:

You need City Select for the 60C(S) to routing on the unit. Return MG and get CS.

I have a 60C and am useing MetroGuide v4 upgraded w/free dl to V5 and it works fine (auto routeing and all). I have the 60C mounted with a $1.09 CB

Mic holder superglued to the plastic trim of the radio/ac panel (98 Ranger), I

wrap the wrist strap around the cigg. ltr to stop it from swinging and it works

great for me.

Wiley&Sunset

I bought the Automotive accessory pack. Got it for $145.00 on E-Bay. This includes a permanent Auto mounting bracket. A sandbag mounting bracket which Is what I am using and works extremely well. The Auto power cable, manual and City Select. (mine came with version 5, but since version 6 just came out I got a free upgrade). If you purchase all these items separately you would pay over $200.00. In fact locally you have to pay that much just for City Select. :rolleyes:

Bracketron makes a cell phone dash mount for my truck:

http://www.bracketron.com/

http://www.bracketron.com/xmain/manuals/CHE-201-99.pdf

Onto that I screwed on the Garmin bicycle handlebar mount bracket, and the tension screw lined up perfectly with a hole already on the bracketron bracket.

http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010%2D10454%2D00

This is the end result:

dashcomp.jpg

Out of the way but still in reach, takes some practice to operate while driving, and I wouldn't mess with it in heavy / fast traffic.

I also use the GA27C magnetic roof-mount external antenna and the cig lighter power/pc data serial cable.

http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010%2D10052%2D05

http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010%2D10165%2D00

Those two parts let me get better reception in hilly/forested areas, and interface to a pc while saving my batteries.

Edited by DBleess

I am using the Garmin Dash Mount System for my 60c. I don't think you would be happy with the suction cup mount as the unit tends to 'bounce' around a bit. As far as your software issue goes, I believe that the official line from Garmin is that they would prefer that you use City Select, but the MetroGuide USA software works fine. I believe you have to upgrade to one of the more recent versions in order for the routing information to work though.

Thanks!

Wapow :o

You can use Metroguide 4.0 on your 60 -- it's routable and quite nice.

It's two or three years old so it wouldn't have any recent new roads and so forth but I like it quite a bit. (I live in the Chicago area).

You can usually pick it up for 30 bucks or so on eBay.

Thanks to all of you! I've gotten some great ideas. My main vehicle is a Toyota matrix, and the dash is far less than flat - but I also use it in my 1976 FJ40 Land Cruiser for the "off road" adventures. The permanent mount works great in the Cruiser but I am a bit scared to attach anything adhesive to the dash of my new matrix. My unit should be here the 13th, so I'll play around with placement and see what works best.

Thanks again!

Brett :o

Thanks to all of you! I've gotten some great ideas. My main vehicle is a Toyota matrix, and the dash is far less than flat - but I also use it in my 1976 FJ40 Land Cruiser for the "off road" adventures. The permanent mount works great in the Cruiser but I am a bit scared to attach anything adhesive to the dash of my new matrix. My unit should be here the 13th, so I'll play around with placement and see what works best.

Thanks again!

Brett :o

Use the temporary adhesive rather than the permenant one and you should be fine.

When I sold my GPSV and replaced it with a 60CS I was a bit worried because I had to pull up the GPSV mount which had been on my dash for close to three years.

The adhesive peeled off simply by rolling it with my thumb into a little ball. There's absolutely no hint the mount ever being glued to my dash. I was amazed.