Seven Peaks Challenge

Another thread has suggested the Four Peaks Challenge for geocaching in the British Isles.

I suggest extending the idea slightly, and including all the caches which exist at the highest points of each of the seven regions of the British Isles.

I'm choosing my terms carefully to try and avoid getting into any political debate here! <_<

My seven regions for this challenge are (in descending order of altitude):

Scotland (GCG6XD)

Wales (GC5F13)

Ireland (GCJ39P)

England (GCG3A7)

Northern Ireland (no cache just yet...)

Isle of Man (GCK4J3)

Channel Islands (no cache)

The logic behind the selection of the seven regions is that they all have their own parliament or assembly (albeit suspended in one case!), and are generally known as separate entities. I think that a cache on Slieve Donard may appear before much longer, and some Channel Island cacher may be persuaded to don mountaineering garb and try and conquer the mighty peaks of Sark...

Any comments?

HH

some Channel Island cacher may be persuaded to don mountaineering garb and try and conquer the mighty peaks of Sark...

Any comments?

HH

Yeah i've been to Sark, If I remember correctly once you are up from the cliff face it's fairly flat. However it is probably the highest point of the Channel Islands, and I must say that the public transport is one to be envied <_<

All in all this does appear to be a good suggestion, anyone wanting to do Britains Highest then there is a cache event this Sunday the 15th August going up there.

I think that a cache on Slieve Donard may appear before much longer

<sigh>.... I suppose we could do one, if you really REALLY want one up there. It's 850m* - and you'll be doing it from as near sea level as makes no difference.

At least co-ord accuracy won't be a problem: Donard summit trig is the "fundamental station" for the whole Irish mapping datum. So...

N 54 10' 48".262

W 05 55' 11".898

...give or take a centimetre <_<

Hth

Paul

[* or 849m, depending on datum. YMMV.]

I believe Sark is the island with the highest point in the Channel Islands: although I don't know the height, or the name of the hill.

This could be a difficult place to arrange a new cache, as the Channel Islands are not exactly packed with geocaches, so I guess there are no really keen cachers there who would be willing to place one on the hill (wherever that is!).

NI may be a little easier: Wildlifewriter - I think someone else may have plans for a cache on Slieve Donard :lol: (unless you can get there before him)...it sounds like a nice place to visit, I may be keen to bag it myself as I can see it from the end of my street on a clear day. 850m climb? - piffling :ph34r: !

(he says from comfort of armchair, sipping whisky)...

HH

Hey don't you dare to forget Cornwall :rolleyes:

After all we have our own Flag,

Our own Language,

We are more or less seperated from the rest of Britain by the River Tamar.

And yes we did have our own "Goverment" once called the Stannary when tin mining was the main source of income as opposed to tourism as it is now.

Also our highest point on Bodmin Moor at 420 metres also has a cache, GC7682. (Not that I am advertising. :rolleyes::) )

NI may be a little easier: Wildlifewriter - I think someone else may have plans for a cache on Slieve Donard  (unless you can get there before him)...it sounds like a nice place to visit, I may be keen to bag it myself as I can see it from the end of my street on a clear day. 850m climb? - piffling  !

Are there any firm plans to put a cache on Slieve Donard? We are going to NI next month and having read this thread have all of a sudden become quite keen to go up to the highest point. Of course if there is a cache there it acts as an even bigger incentive. :o

Barnabus is intending to place one, but I can't say whether it will be there in time. I'll e-mail him to see what the plan is (if any).

He (or me, or any of us) will have to clear it with the local Environment and Heritage Service, first.

On checking, Donard is within a SAC and ASSI designated area. Full details, here... NBN Gateway

and.. ;) getting premission might take some time, because the civil servants here are all on strike.

Edited by wildlifewriter

As you are aware, there are already quite a few caches in the greater mourne area, all of which comes under the SAC and ASSI umbrella....

Slieve Donard already attracts a fair number of visitors and the pathways have recently been upgraded on the approach to the saddle to reflect this trend.

I cannot see how placing a cache on the summit is going to drastically increase the numbers of visitors to the site. In fact, if it does encourage more people (geocachers) to tackle the summit, they hopefully with be the 'respectable' type who may improve the walk by practicing Cache In Trash Out...

Follow...??? I didn't get much sleep last night...

Barnabus

As you are aware, there are already quite a few caches in the greater mourne area, all of which comes under the SAC and ASSI umbrella....

I am only aware of one existing cache which is inside the designated area: GCGB5Z.

I cannot see how placing a cache on the summit is going to drastically increase the numbers of visitors to the site.(etc)

I'm sure the E&H Service will agree with you, when you write to them.

You ARE writing to them, aren't you...? ;)

Paul