Garmin Gpsmap 76s

I have the Garmin GPSMap 76s with the electronic compass built in, I've got it set to take over when I stop moving for 15 seconds or more. But It doesn't really seem to work all that well, I can't help but think I'm using it wrong. I get the "hold level" warning, but getting it level is another thing, no matter how I hold it it seems to still give me that warning.

I'm curious about how others are using this feature, do you have it turned on and if so do you use it frequently, seldom, not at all? Will the arrow still point to the waypoint I'm after if I stand still long enough?

in order to save battery power i have mine set to zero mph in the compass setup page - i don't want it to turn on EVER unless i manually do it myself. How? Press and hold the Page button and the ecompass turns on and off. You can improve the hold level problem by calibrating the unit - keep an eye on being as level as possible (i suggest rotating it while resting it on a tabletop).

I did calibrate the compass the first time I set up the GPS but never after that, so I'll try it each time I change the batteries too and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the tip. I'm glad to see others are at least trying to use the feature, I've never had much luck with an electronic compass and usually carry a small real one with me for quick direction finding.

Recalibration seems to work well, but it's strange that they'd incorporate the compass in such a way that you have to hold the unit horizontally to get accurate compass readings, and yet you lose satellite reception unless the unit is held vertically. :mad: That's my only 'complaint' about it though - otherwise the 76S is a great little unit!

you have to hold the unit horizontally to get accurate compass readings, and yet you lose satellite reception unless the unit is held vertically.

I hold my 76CS more or less horizontally 90% of the time and rarely lose signal except when under heavy tree cover.

Hmmm... I guess maybe we just have bigger trees out here (or more of them or something). :lol: