Photo Upload Notification

shunra

We receive notifications whenever a new Find or other log is added to our own caches, or to the caches on our watchlist.

Sometimes, pictures are added to logs at a later date. We don't get notifications of these uploads. It would be nice if we would.

In the meantime, when I upload pictures, I always post a note saying 'pictures uploaded', and immediately delete it again. People watching the cache in question would get a notification and could watch the pictures if they want. but it would be better if the notifications would be automatic.

I really like the idea of a "picture upload" notification (maybe make it a toggle, so you can opt to not recieve them, also).

I go thru my hidden cache logs online from time to tome, and I am always suprised by the pictures that were uploaded to a log that I didn't know about.

Ed

I have given this some thought lately. How about if new images are uploaded, it will check the timestamp of the log. If the log is older (say 6 hours) it will send a photo notification email. If the image is around the same time as the log was entered, it doesn't send a notification email. That way you don't get inundated with emails every time a photo is uploaded for a log.

The alternative is you get emailed for everything.

I have given this some thought lately. How about if new images are uploaded, it will check the timestamp of the log. If the log is older (say 6 hours) it will send a photo notification email. If the image is around the same time as the log was entered, it doesn't send a notification email. That way you don't get inundated with emails every time a photo is uploaded for a log.

The alternative is you get emailed for everything.

Good point, Jeremy. Since the images are always uploaded at least a few minutes after the log itself, there should be some time stamp checking in order to avoid getting everything twice.

I think 6 hours is on the long side (my preference would be 5 minutes), but perhaps this can be individually set - if not, I'll go with the majority here.

I like Ed's suggestion of making it a toggle.

OK - what if watchlist management allows to click some boxes for every cache, whether you want to receive notifications of:

[] logs added to the cache page

[] only notes uploaded by the cache owner him/herself

[] changes to the cache page

[] pictures uploaded to the cache page, if done within X minutes from the time stamp of the log itself.

This would actually allow me to reduce the bulk watchlist mail I get, while getting everythign I really want. The default setting could remain just the first option checked, which is the situation right now.

it would be better if the email that went out was delayed by 5 minutes with a "pictures were also uploaded" type text in the email. As it may not be obvious from just reading the log that the finder intended to upload pictures too....or is that what you were saying up there -^

Sorta. When you post a log I now immediately send an email, so to delay it I'd have to do batch notifications (which I may end up doing anyway). But the way I'm suggesting now is just to send a photo upload notification if the photo was uploaded a long time after the log entry was made. For example, if someone develops their film at a later date, or wants to photoshop it a bit before uploading the image.

I'm not sure how well this would work for me. I ususally read the log entry in the e-mail and don't bother to go to the web page. Therefore it might be a long time before I realized that a picture was posted, just as it is now. By having a email indicating when a picture was posted to the logs, when ever that happened, would be of more benifit to me. So I vote for no delay. Send an email when picuture is posted.

Thanks.

What about multiple picture uploads? I often upload 3-5 pics on a nice cache, and I also photoshop them if needed as I go. There is often a 5 minute or more delay between uploading each pic. I would think people on dialup might also have a delay between pics. So how will this work? Email gets sent each time someone uploads a picture, or would 1 pic u/l reset the notification timer?

So if you do start sending emails when photos are loaded more than an hour (or whatever it ends up being), you just KNOW there will be a couple dozen threads started asking why they're getting emails for some picture loads and not for others. Similar to the string of threads that were created asking what the warn meter was, and the ones asking where it went.

This isn't a reason not to do it. Just a heads up that it's coming. Heh heh heh. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure how well this would work for me. I ususally read the log entry in the e-mail and don't bother to go to the web page. 

What about multiple picture uploads? I often upload 3-5 pics on a nice cache, and I also photoshop them if needed as I go. There is often a 5 minute or more delay between uploading each pic. I would think people on dialup might also have a delay between pics. So how will this work? Email gets sent each time someone uploads a picture, or would 1 pic u/l reset the notification timer?

I was thinking the same thing here. How about, the "pictures e-mail" goes out with the first picture, (regardless of when the log was made) and then there's a say 1-hour timeframe where no more e-mails will be sent for pictures added to that particular log?

Email gets sent each time someone uploads a picture, or would 1 pic u/l reset the notification timer?

I was thinking the same thing here. How about, the "pictures e-mail" goes out with the first picture, (regardless of when the log was made) and then there's a say 1-hour timeframe where no more e-mails will be sent for pictures added to that particular log?

I'm in the "first picture u/l resets the timer" camp too. I think 1hr would cover the average person logging.

Email gets sent each time someone uploads a picture, or would 1 pic u/l reset the notification timer?

I'm in the "first picture u/l resets the timer" camp too. I think 1hr would cover the average person logging.

Chiming in to agree with the 1 hour, and reset on photo post.

I do not want to receive picture-upload e-mails. If this feature gets implemented, then please give users a way to turn this on/off.

On a related note... This feature could become a nightmare for people watching event-type caches, depending upon how it's implemented.

Edited by Ferreter5

I would prefer to receive one and only one email from the site delayed by up to 30 minutes detailing the log and, if applicable, the descriptions of the photos that were uploaded for caches I own or I am watching. We currently do not receive emails for log edits, so any late photo additions should be silent as well.

I would not want to see one email for the text log and then one email per uploaded image. That seems to be a waste of bandwidth on everyone's part.