Shawshank Redemption

Bit of an odd subject title I admit but has anyone seen this excellent film which was on TV again at the weekend? Towards the end of the film Red (Morgan Freeman) goes out into the country to find a hidden container armed only with a compass (no GPS!!!). He searches in a wall and finds the container under a rock. Hands up those people who epxected him to open the box and find a travel bug, logbook, plastic lion, keyring and a spare set of batteries? I know I did. Are there other similar moments in films?

ANDY: There's this big hayfield up near Buxton. You know where Buxton is?

RED: Lots of hayfields there.

ANDY: One in particular. Got a long rock wall with a big oak at the north end. Like something out of a Robert Frost poem. It's where I asked my wife to marry me. We'd gone for a picnic. We made love under that oak. I asked and she said yes. Promise me, Red. If you ever get out, find that spot. In the base of that wall you'll find a rock that has no earthly business in a Maine hayfield. A piece of black volcanic glass. You'll find something buried under it I want you to have.

RED: What? What's buried there?

ANDY: You'll just have to pry up that rock and see.

THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION.

My fav line "In the base of that wall you'll find a rock that has no earthly business in a Maine hayfield."

Meanwhile, back at the thread...

"There are those with guns, and those who dig. You dig.".

HH

Okay thats from 'The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly' geocaching scene.

I guess you can include just about every pirate movie too for the geoaching content (thats pirate movie as in black beard, not any ol'film copy sold by dodgy geezer at bootsale) <_<

And what about the IRA who had their own special type of geocaching sites dotted all over Ireland and UK.

Bit of an odd subject title I admit but has anyone seen this excellent film which was on TV again at the weekend? Towards the end of the film Red (Morgan Freeman) goes out into the country to find a hidden container armed only with a compass (no GPS!!!). He searches in a wall and finds the container under a rock. Hands up those people who epxected him to open the box and find a travel bug, logbook, plastic lion, keyring and a spare set of batteries? I know I did. Are there other similar moments in films?

I think the only thing missing was a GPS, but we thought exactly the same thing when we saw it. <_<

Now... I wonder how long it will take for a cacher from Buxton to find a (disused) dry stone wall and hide a cache called "Shawshank Redemption"?

I'll give it a couple of weeks!

:lol::huh::P:lol::lol:

This occured to me (as I already own a cache within a mile of Buxton) but could I find a Hayfield among the moors?

Maybe a bracken field......

:ph34r:

Rented Shawshank Redemption this weekend and was gobsmacked by it yet again. Seen it about four times but this is the first time I spotted the GCXing connection.

This was nearby to the puzzle cache we did this weekend Bearshank Redemption and worldwide there are two caches named Shawshank Redemption, two 'something'shank redemption and four other redeptions.

The Hokesters...(clearly bored today)

Just watched Star Trek: Nemesis, and there is a scene where Picard,worf and data are looking for a positronic signal. It is 4 parts of an early version of data called B4 :huh:. They search using a tricorder (GPSr) and the parts are spread over a wide area (multi-cache). <_<:unsure:

Also Fargo, where steve Buscemi buries the loot and marks it with an ice scrapper.

Supposedly a Japanese woman saw the film and thought the money was still buried out there and with looking for it, apparently she died looking for it. :ph34r:

News Story

Geo

Not so much of a Shawshank caching moment, but we watched Close Encounters of the Third Kind a while ago and both laughed when the aliens send the co-ords to the meeting spot! Can't remember off hand what they were but it'd be interesting to see if anyone in the US has place a "Close Encounters Cache" at those exact co-ords.

If you anyone reads the US forums, someone may have located the actual spot used in Shawshank and might be setting up a cache there. see this thread