Garmin Etrex Summit

I have had one for a couple of years and it has served me well!

The barometric altimeter is fun but is really just a toy (seeing as MM gives me all the elevation data/profiles i need), the digital compass is great but I find that it can get a bit fussy about being held level.

All in all it's been great and i'm sure that i seriously underuse all of its features

regards

TRB

PS.. I know of an excellent store that supply the Summit at a very competitive price - message me if you want to know more (i understand that one shouldn't advertise on here!)

I've had one for about 3 months. Survived a recent full capsize in a kayak and subsequent swim down the rapids.

It does switch itself off from time to time, mostly when using rechargable batteries.

As stated in other reply, the barometric altimeter is not of great use to me, but we recently drove over the alps into Italy and it was fun to see just how high we had been.

I really like the compass when I give control to the kids. Without it they stop, turn round to talk and then follow the arrow whichever way it is pointing. With the compass they now stop, wait for it to say compass, and then head off in the right direction.

The reception under trees has been pretty good. I've been getting readings when other logs say that the GPS wouldn't get a signal.

I'm really happy with it, the only thing I would have liked is a waypoint averaging function as this would give more accurate results when marking a waypoint.