Tsln

When I go out to find a cache I usually look at the logs first. Well lately I've been noticing a lot of: I took a rubber ducky and signed the log. Recently I looked at my only cache and noticed: "Took TB to move on to another cache." This was the closing statement. They mentioned nothing about leaving anything. Have you had this happen to you?

If we take one of the prizes from a cache we leave something in its place. It will allways be equal to or a better trade item than what we take. Sometimes we may leave money if we dont have anything better with us.

As far as Travelbugs and Signature items, we have taken a few of them without leaving anything in their place. Ya'll feel free to correct me if im not thinking right, but i dont feel like these fit in the same category as regular cache trade items!

Happens all the time. Its usually frowned upon by the majority of the community you'll meet in the forums. You just have to let it go. I understand your frustration though. I got really ticked off when I saw this happening with my first cache.

As for the TB, that is a different matter. I think most of the lurkers will agree with me here. TB's are generally not seen as normal trade items or swag. Since the purpose of a TB is to move about on its mission, it would be counter productive if you had to trade something to take it since some of the cachers don't carry any swag with them when out caching.

There is an exception here. If you have a TB hotel, then there usually is a rule from the cache owner stating that you should only take a TB if you are dropping off a TB to replace it.

As far as Travelbugs and Signature items, we have taken a few of them without leaving anything in their place. Ya'll feel free to correct me if im not thinking right, but i dont feel like these fit in the same category as regular cache trade items!

I agree on behalf of the TB.

Sig items on the other hand, are in some cases considered VERY coveted trade items. A lot of people leave some very nice stuff when taking sig items.

One of my geocoins had a pair of binoculars left as trade for it.

I agree with others who have pointed out that a TB isn't a trade item. But I see a lot of "Took something left TB" logs. In the interest of improving the cache, it isn't a bad idea (though it isn't a requirement) to leave a decent trade item when taking a TB.

The way to combat the TSLN and TSL Junk trends is for enough of us to TNLS, or T junk L a decent trade item.

There is an exception here. If you have a TB hotel, then there usually is a rule from the cache owner stating that you should only take a TB if you are dropping off a TB to replace it.

No, if you have a travel bug HOTEL there isn't any stupid restrictive rules. IF you have those types of rules, you're running a travel bug PRISON. Fortunately, we don't have any of those around here, and unfortunately cachers in other areas don't tell the owner's of the prisons to "Shove it".

Happens all the time. Its usually frowned upon by the majority of the community you'll meet in the forums. You just have to let it go. I understand your frustration though. I got really ticked off when I saw this happening with my first cache.

As for the TB, that is a different matter. I think most of the lurkers will agree with me here. TB's are generally not seen as normal trade items or swag. Since the purpose of a TB is to move about on its mission, it would be counter productive if you had to trade something to take it since some of the cachers don't carry any swag with them when out caching.

If you found a cache and went back to get a TB later on would you leave something in its place?

There is an exception here.  If you have a TB hotel, then there usually is a rule from the cache owner stating that you should only take a TB if you are dropping off a TB to replace it.

No, if you have a travel bug HOTEL there isn't any stupid restrictive rules. IF you have those types of rules, you're running a travel bug PRISON. Fortunately, we don't have any of those around here, and unfortunately cachers in other areas don't tell the owner's of the prisons to "Shove it".

I would have to agree very much with IV_Warrior.  The purpose of a travel bug is to travel, not to hang out in a cache.  Anything that discourages one from removing a travel bug from one cache and helping it on its way to another is contrary to the travel bug's purpose.  As a matter of principle, I would never drop off a travel bug in one of these “travel bug hotels”, for the thing I most want for any travel bug, once I'm done with it, is for it to go quickly on its way to further adventures.

There is an exception here.  If you have a TB hotel, then there usually is a rule from the cache owner stating that you should only take a TB if you are dropping off a TB to replace it.

Agreed. 100%

If you see a travel bug, or 10 travel bugs, take them and move them to another cache if that is what you want to do. You are helping the bug owner (just be sure to read the TB goal card).

Just don't go trading TB's for GeoJunk. (ie Took Rolex Watch, left Fuzzy Wuzzy TB)

:huh:

What most everyone seems to be saying is correct: The t.b. remains the property of its original owner, and he wants it to move, so the t.b. is not swag.

:huh: Now, regarding signature items: my understanding is that the sig. item is left as a special momento for the cache owner. If it has been there awhile, I would assume that he is indifferent to it. When someone leaves a sig. in my cache, I may run out the next couple of days to retrieve it.

:huh: swag items are traded for.

Most of the TB hotels I've seen have had a "leave as many as you take, please" policy. I see nothing wrong with it, since otherwise they'd just get emptied out much more quickly.

see also my posting yesterday -

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=77174

where I state -

I have a new acronym -- SL w/TNLN bTS

Signed Log with TNLN but Took Something

What's with THAT!? Now the real cachers are cleaning out the caches?

I found a cache that was

The last person to log it even said that he "made it easier to find" on the cache page log!!!

and mostly empty. I had to refill it with some of the few goodies I had on me. Re-camoflage the container and put it back where I had it originally and in the same manner.

Seems to be happening more often than I like to hear.

What most everyone seems to be saying is correct: The t.b. remains the property of its original owner, and he wants it to move, so the t.b. is not swag.

:huh: Now, regarding signature items: my understanding is that the sig. item is left as a special momento for the cache owner. If it has been there awhile, I would assume that he is indifferent to it. When someone leaves a sig. in my cache, I may run out the next couple of days to retrieve it.

:huh: swag items are traded for.

Thanks Robes - that's the way I look at Sig. Items also.

Most of the TB hotels I've seen have had a "leave as many as you take, please" policy. I see nothing wrong with it, since otherwise they'd just get emptied out much more quickly.

Not the ones around here. Like others have said, travel bugs are to travel, not sit in a cache because of some cache owner's ego.

Yes, sometimes the travel bug hotels around here are empty, and that's because the bugs that were there, are now moving somewhere toward their goals. Other times there may be three or more bugs in the hotel, awaiting a cacher who can help them. Often times when I have a bug that I can't get closer to it's goal, I'll stop by just to drop it into one of the hotels, and not take anything. Other times, I'll see a bug in the hotel that I can help, and will run out and get it. This is the way hotels SHOULD work. If I see a bug in a hotel, or any cache, that I CAN help, why should I have to leave it sit there, just because all the travel bugs in the area are locked in that prison?

If you found a cache and went back to get a TB later on would you leave something in its place?

Travel Bugs are meant to be moved, not traded. I definitely wouldn't feel obligated to leave anything when taking a travel bug.

If a cache is low on trade items, I often leave something without taking anything. If a cache is too full, I will try to take a large item and leave a small item. I think most people use common sense here.

--Marky

Not the ones around here.  Like others have said, travel bugs are to travel, not sit in a cache because of some cache owner's ego.

Yes, sometimes the travel bug hotels around here are empty, and that's because the bugs that were there, are now moving somewhere toward their goals.  Other times there may be three or more bugs in the hotel, awaiting a cacher who can help them.  Often times when I have a bug that I can't get closer to it's goal, I'll stop by just to drop it into one of the hotels, and not take anything.  Other times, I'll see a bug in the hotel that I can help, and will run out and get it.  This is the way hotels SHOULD work.  If I see a bug in a hotel, or any cache, that I CAN help, why should I have to leave it sit there, just because all the travel bugs in the area are locked in that prison?

Prison? I haven't yet seen a TB hotel that wasn't easy to get to. Anyone wishing to pick up and/or drop off a TB could easily get there...hardly what I'd call a prison. Now, I don't do TB's, so fpr all practical purposes I really don't care. If you feel that anyone should be able to raid the cache and remove all the TB's without leaving anything in return, doesn't matter to me.

Edited by Team PerkyPerks

I visited a bug hotel this morning that had only one requirement -- to read the mission of a bug before you take it. Bugs seem to move briskly in and out of it, which is nice. I took one and left one.

I haven't noticed people logging T but not L, but I have noticed people logging that they left neat stuff, and that neat stuff isn't there. I don't mean extra special neat stuff, just stuff I was looking forward to. Like someone yesterday logged that he'd left a subway token (okay, we all have our own definitions of "neat stuff"), and it wasn't there today.

It made me wonder if someone is harvesting the cache. That's probably totally unfair, but who would lie about leaving a subway token?

I visited a bug hotel this morning that had only one requirement -- to read the mission of a bug before you take it. Bugs seem to move briskly in and out of it, which is nice. I took one and left one.

I haven't noticed people logging T but not L, but I have noticed people logging that they left neat stuff, and that neat stuff isn't there. I don't mean extra special neat stuff, just stuff I was looking forward to. Like someone yesterday logged that he'd left a subway token (okay, we all have our own definitions of "neat stuff"), and it wasn't there today.

It made me wonder if someone is harvesting the cache. That's probably totally unfair, but who would lie about leaving a subway token?

ya Auntie - I scheduled a find on a local lady's cache close to me -

last log was a mini-light stick - got there and I had to rehab the cache myself - was a real mess full of standard swap crap you all know what I mean.

So he/she even logged that they left cool stuff - was looking forward to it -

so I like the OP's statement more succinct

TSLN

and to quote someone else on this forum it SUX!

Edited by CompuCash

There's no requirement to write down what you put into the cache. All that's required is that you sign the book. If somebody chooses to write down what they took, that's a bonus for the person who reads the log next. If you want to know what they left in its place, just look inside the cache.

A “travel bug hotel” full of travel bugs is not a good thing.  Those travel bugs are supposed to be travelling, not just hanging out in some cache.  Hoarding travel bugs in a “hotel” is contrary to the purpose of travel bugs.

If a “travel bug hotel” is empty, so what?  It isn' t the purpose of travel bugs to keep such caches populated.

Unfortunately, TBs are of a different breed. Because they are like pokemon to some people (gotta catch them all) and it's gauche to record all their numbers and swap them in and out of the same hotel to get a "find" on them, then people want to take them all. It's clear that all that would be required to rectify the "omg, my TB is a prisoner of the rules!" and the "omg, my hotel is always empty and cacher XYZ is always the one emptying it" is a single new rule addendum:

Take as many as you leave.

Any resident present over X days is "evicted" and falls outside the "take as many as you leave" rule.

Set X to whatever unknots both party's panties.

If your TB is stuck for X days...it's no worse than if it were put into a 5/5 cache.

If your hotel is empty...nobody visits it often enough with a TB in hand then anyways.

Now, regarding signature items: my understanding is that the sig. item is left as a special momento for the cache owner. If it has been there awhile, I would assume that he is indifferent to it. When someone leaves a sig. in my cache, I may run out the next couple of days to retrieve it.

Ive honestly never took it that way! Of course it would be different if the person who left the sig item stated in his/her log that they wanted the cache owner to have it. But if a person just leaves a sig item, then i think anyone can take it when they find the cache!!!

As far as trading for a sig item, we try to do that,, but as i stated above, we have taken a one or two when we didnt have anything with us to trade. We'll try not to let that happen from now on... <_<

Have you had this happen to you?

Yeah, but I don't sweat it. I figure the cache is an evolving thing. At some point in time it may be stocked with great stuff, others not so great stuff. Lately I've become more of a LSTN (Left Something, Took Nothing) type of cacher.

As far as TB's go. If I can help it on its mission I'm taking it, cache rules be damned.

Zack

Now, regarding signature items: my understanding is that the sig. item is left as a special momento for the cache owner. If it has been there awhile, I would assume that he is indifferent to it. When someone leaves a sig. in my cache, I may run out the next couple of days to retrieve it.

Ive honestly never took it that way! Of course it would be different if the person who left the sig item stated in his/her log that they wanted the cache owner to have it. But if a person just leaves a sig item, then i think anyone can take it when they find the cache!!!

As far as trading for a sig item, we try to do that,, but as i stated above, we have taken a one or two when we didnt have anything with us to trade. We'll try not to let that happen from now on... :ph34r:

I don't look at it that way, either... IMO, people who leave signature items are doing it as a personal way to say "here we were" - and the cache owner idea doesn't jive anyway, because then how do you explain people who do ten of the same person's cache and leave a signature item in each one? I'm sure they don't want the owner to have 10 dominoes, or lost marbles, or little tiny cars...

With that said, I will trade for a signature item depending on what it is. I don't think you need to trade for business cards. I don't think you need to trade for really itty bitty items that have very little monitary value (ie - one cacher has a mini clothespin for her signature item, you can buy them *very* cheap - like 5c each)....

But then again... I don't think that this thread matters much anyway. The thread is here and most of the people that read the forums know what we're doing. I don't think we'll ever see a thread saying "I really wanted this so I just took it without trade... how many of you do the same thing?"

This thread made me wonder about a cache near here that's just about jammed full of nifty stuff. Clearly, a lot of visitors, and they're nice people, leaving nice thingies. But, even though it's an ammo box, and you'd think it was big enough, it's gotten sorta full.

So, what do you do? You don't want to take extra stuff away. And people might not know to bring small things to trade.

Obviously, the cache owner should take a bunch of the contents and... start a new cache with them! Yay, more caches for us!

I would be willing to help them by... visiting the new cache they made! And enjoying the nifty cache experience. And having more neat toys to rifle through!

Maybe I should email them and tell them about how they need to do this right away. :ph34r:

My $.02 on TB hotels.

It irks me when cachers grab and hold onto bugs for a long time. "Took TB, plan on dropping it off at an event (unrelated to its quest) several months from now."

If you grab a TB, hopefully you've done so because you know its goals and can move it on its way. If it turns out you that you can't help, for whatever reason, find your nearest travel bug bed and breakfast and get him back into the flow. It sure beats having him sitting in your cache drawer at home.

I have no problem with someone taking a TB that they can advance from any cache, "hotel" or not, without dropping another bug off. Any hotel that has a bug-for-bug "rule" needs the eviction policy ju66l3r mentioned. Vacancy rates (and your milage) may vary.

edit: need to take these mittens off before I type

Edited by 2Est8Attys
I don't think we'll ever see a thread saying "I really wanted this so I just took it without trade... how many of you do the same thing?"

Absolutely. If I did such a thing, I would never confess! :rolleyes:

Well, I'll have to confess this time -- one cache in NYC this past month, I hit a cache with the intention of only signing the log. My wife & neice were waiting this one out at a bench around the corner, and my niece was very tired by now (poor little city girl, LOL). I had NOTHING to trade, and it was essentially a micro. There was an arrowhead in the cache that I knew would make her day, and all I could find in my pockets besides lint and my metrocard was a bicentennial quarter. I took the arrowhead and left the $.25/ Felt terrible about it... emailed the owner and confessed what I did on the cache page. :rolleyes:

But... I was right, it DID make her day!

I use to only trade sig items, and I in turn leave my own sig item. ( I haven't cached recently, though I would still follow this practice.)

TravelBugs though I would only take if I could further its goal. And I wqould not trade for it. Travel Bugs are not cache content rewards. They are visitors to be moved. But there are threads in the TB section that discuss the shoulds and should nots of tb moving/trading. So I wont go into that here.

I leave only my sig. item anymore. Sometimes I'll add to a cache with dimished swag, but I'll always leave a geotoken of mine--or more. Usually I don't take anything unless it's another sig. item. And I ALWAYS sign the log. :rolleyes:

For me, my sig. item (an Anne Bonney Geotoken) is an alternative to McToys--which most of the cachers around here abhor. There's a pretty decent number of cachers in the surrounding states who issue sig. items, so there's a nice "adult" level of "toy" trading that, for me, is very satisfying. It's nice to have something original to trade for. I don't mind leaving a geotoken and taking nothing. I really don't need junk to move around, and I'd like to think that I'm improving the potential for swag around here. A lot of visiting out-of-state cachers grab the geotokens and place them "back home". I never get emails about them placing a Beanie Baby (McDonald's issue) fish or Mardi Gras (knock-off) beads, ya know?

And the geotokens fit my definition of swag.

;) Now, regarding signature items: my understanding is that the sig. item is left as a special momento for the cache owner. If it has been there awhile, I would assume that he is indifferent to it. When someone leaves a sig. in my cache, I may run out the next couple of days to retrieve it.

I try to leave a sig. item in as many caches as I can. If it was intended just for the cache "owner" then I wouldn't leave so many. I'd just leave one per owner.

That's not what I intend. It's left for anybody to take that wants one. It really makes me feel good when one of "Byron's Famous Stump Pins" is removed from a cache with hours of it being left in a cache.

As a matter of fact it's impossible to control what people take and leave. Rather than loose sleep or get your blood pressure on the rise, leave what you want and take what you want and don't worry about what somebody left and or took.

I want more opinions so, Bump!

More opinions it is.

Some reasons people don't log T/L might be similar to mine: I have to travel to cache so often times I come back home with a lot of finds to log and not a lot of time to do it. I often don't note the T/L activity; sometimes because I didn't write it down, sometimes because I don't have a lot of time to log and I'd rather say something interesting about the cache, its surroundings or the adventure I had in getting there. But I suspect mostly because I'm not all that interested in trading. I took what? I left what? Who cares? But I usually log a T/L when I find something nice. What you might be seeing is a hasty log entry where the finder wrote down the "took" but not the "left".

More and more I find that people are not logging the T/L on my caches. When I check on the cache there has obviously been heavy trading. This doesn't bother me.

I'm in the camp that says travel bugs are Born To Run and you don't have to leave anything for them - they should not sit around. It is nice to leave something but if I don't have trading items with me and I need a travel friend, I grab.

I do not recognize any such rule that says "take as many tb's as you leave" or "if you take a tb you must leave one". But then again I cannot imagine grabbing a handful of tb's out of a hotel and not leaving the same amount. Travel bugs as a commodity takes the fun out of it for me. I have retired or adopted out my tb's because of this.

It is o.k. to TSLN anytime a cache is so full the lid won't close. Protecting the logbook and contents from rain should be considered an obligation of each finder. This year I have seen far too many caches that won't close often followed by a web page log that says the lid won't close. (We are getting into my primary pet peeve here.) Last week I found a container with a gift pencil sticking out of the lid by two inches and the container was wet. What would possess someone to leave something that won't fit in a cache and why won't some finders take control of the situation and remove the offending object??? Why aren't the correct actions intuitive?

In my last 150 cache finds I specifically recall seeing only a few objects that interested me and that is taking into consideration that I collect items for Spark's 2nd grade class year-end auction when I see something appropriate. That hasn't happened much this summer - that I've seen appropriate stuff. And I wouldn't be interested in reading about most of the stuff I saw in these caches. I'd rather read about "the hunt".

Well that is probably more opinion than you wanted.

Team Sagefox: You raise some interesting points regarding over stuffed caches. In the past I done my best to try and cram everything back into the cache and closing the lid as best I possibly can. I normally make a note in my log about the cache being full.

I think I'm going to adopt a slightly different approach. I'm either going to take more items than I leave so that I can be certain the cache lid closes securely. Or if there's something in the cache that won't be harmed by rain, such as plastic toy, I'm going to leave it out side of the cache container.

I'm not too sure the second idea is a very smart one though. The idea of taking something from the cache and leaving it on the ground beside the cache just seems wrong. I dont' know why it seems that way to me but it does.

Zack

How about someone who takes 4 items and leaves a stinking $1??

June 21 by <snip> (41 found)

Cool Find! Yeah FTF! Took Geocoins, FTF patch and the scratcher, (it was a winner) left a dollar, had a TB, but the container was too small. Thankyou!

I have to say something here...

GeoCoins are like TBs.. take them without trade (well, if they're trackable and you're moving them around and not keeping them)

Any FTF prize is a gift for the first finder - not something that they should have to trade for.

So in this instance, the person moved two coins, was awarded a prize, and traded a scratch off ticket for $1 - as opposed to taking four things and leaving a buck.

Or if there's something in the cache that won't be harmed by rain, such as plastic toy, I'm going to leave it out side of the cache container.

Oh good lord, don't do that!

Leaving toys on the ground is considered littering with them.

And then if you do that, you become like one cacher I saw who's log says "left travel bug, but it was too big for the container so I left it on the ground near the cache" Gee.. No wonder TBs go missing if people treat them like this.

If the cache container is too full, go through it and figure out why. Is there one or two items that are just really big? If so, trade for them and drop them in caches where there's lots of space or keep them if you'd so desire. Is there a bunch of junk littering the cache? Broken things, papers, etc? If so, take them from the container and trash them out.

And by all means, another log I saw was "took nothing left an item, which then made the container impossible to close. I hope it will be okay with the lid not on tight" Okay, dude, you're doing this in NE Ohio, where the only thing we can count on is percipitation and screwy weather. That was smart. Yeah, so you have a cool signature item you want to leave, or you're getting rid of swag from something else, but if the cache is really full and you're not planning on trading, don't leave something.

I see this happening all the time and it doesn't let up. Taking something and not leaving anything in its place...

It appears to be universal. Wherever cache containers are placed this condition will set in. It is best when we can train ourselves to just enjoy the hunt.

Geocaching is a very interesting human behavior experiment. This TSLN tendency is common to all animals and especially the mammals that learned to use tools. The bits of evolutionary memory stored in our very cells, passed down from generation upon generation, back through our non-human predecessors, tells us to hunt and take. It was a required behavior for survival. It mostly worked out well before there were too many of us on the planet.

Leaving is a very modern concept. We struggle with it still.

Some people are leeches and there will always be those leeches. I would hope they feel guilty, but I doubt it as they probably live their whole lives like that, all taking, no giving.

Maybe in the logs they can be pointed out like "Replaced items that were leeched by previous cachers" or just tolerate them and go on.

IMHO TBs are not trade items but I usually leave something when I pick them up anyways and don't take something when I drop them

Some people are leeches and there will always be those leeches. I would hope they feel guilty, but I doubt it as they probably live their whole lives like that, all taking, no giving.

Changing this all-too-common attitude would be easier than changing the trading practices of geocachers. But it would be a far more positive thing we could do for the sport.

I have placed 85 container caches and they ALL degenerate in the quality of the inventory. I DO NOT view the finders of my caches as leeches. I want them to take a nice walk to a site with a good view or at minimum have a hunt and a cache find. I enjoy the Find log stories people post on my pages.

My recommendation, often voiced on these pages by others, is to quit worrying about how other people trade. I've always wanted to say… (Don't just sit at home and complain on the forums about what other people do. Get out and go caching. Spend your computer time logging good stories in your cache FIND logs.) …but I should probably refrain from doing so.

(Don't just sit at home and complain on the forums about what other people do.  Get out and go caching.  Spend your computer time logging good stories in your cache FIND logs.)  …but I should probably refrain from doing so.

The weather is wonderful and I would love to be out caching, but I have lost my GPSr so I am home whining, moping... looking at Garmins that I can't afford. <me grieving my lost GPS> :D I am now in the acceptance stage. Yesterday was denial.

And I don't care what people take or leave or don't leave at caches, I am in it for the fun, well that and I'm addicted.

Why is a travel bug not a trade item?

I thought these were the most coveted of trade items. I don't see many posts of people leaving a TB and a trade item.

Of couse the first rule of geocaching remains: "No matter how worthless the trade items, they will be replaced with something of lesser value."