Replacing Caches Properly

:smile: <Rant>

OK - I know that there have been many threads here on replacing the cache the way you found it - but I just gotta put my 2 cents in here.

When you finally find the cache, and in your excitement you need to slow down - SLOW DOWN! - take a look at where the cache is - how it is laying - or sitting - or inserted - and make a mental (or pencil!) note then PUT IT BACK THE SAME dadgum WAY YOU FOUND IT!

I just spent the last 5 hours rehabbing many of my caches. I need to do some detective work on one because it was near empty. The last person to log it even said that he "made it easier to find" on the cache page log!!! What the hell is that!?

I have a new acronym -- SL w/TNLN bTS

Signed Log with TNLN but Took Something

What's with THAT!? Now the real cachers are cleaning out the caches?

When I find a cache, I make a point of making sure the lid is on and the cache is in the same place and just as hard to find as it was for me when I put it back. It is NOT ROCKET SCIENCE! Pay attention to what the heck you are doing and put it back the way you found it. That cache is mine - not yours - if you want to put a cache the way you want, the go out spend the money and time to make one and then spend the time to place one and write it up and post it. Absent that, leave other people's caches alone. If you don't want to follow the rules - and just plain common sense and common decency then don't cache my caches - or don't cache at all. If you think it was too hard to find - TOUGH! - then don't go hunting caches - but don't change it and make it easy - PUT IT BACK THE WAY YOU FOUND IT.

Four - FOUR! of my caches were moved and 3 nearly in the open. One of these I guess I gotta thank someone for, as it was moved to a better place that I did not notice - I guess the plants changed (or were tired of being pushed at) and there was no longer proper cover in the original spot.

If this is the norm all over, then I can see why so many of us are hollering about messed up caches buy 'real' cachers.

Unfortunately I don't think that the people who hunt caches in my area frequent these hallowed halls but I just had to blow off a little steam.

</Rant>

Edited by CompuCash

I only have 2 caches and one of them was messed with. Someone took the first stage container with the instructions and coordinates for the second, found the second, traded some items, and of course did not sign the log or log it on the site. Since they found the second stage I have to assume it was a geo-cacher. If they took the first stage container by accident I don't understand why they didn't just go back and replace it. It is only .6 miles between the stages and only a few hundred feet from the parking lot.

I have only been at this for a short while but I try to put the cache back just as I found it.

Treat others' caches as you would like your caches to be treated. (My appologies to the writer of the original Golden Rule)...

“Therefore, however you want people to treat you, so treat them, for this is the Law and the Prophets” (Mt 7:12).....

Clint\KyHilltopper

i agree with your rant. good rant.

one thing... i'm not disagreeing with you, but what about those of us who find a cache out of place, and dont know how to put it back... should we get flak? i've gotten some flak. i've always contacted people if i wasnt sure, but some angry eyebrows have come up.

I've read some logs about how the cacher removes the container to another place to sign the log, and then brings the container back when it's "safe".

I've always tried not to move the container, just open it where it lies, sign in and close the lid. I've gotten used to doing things that way. and it makes me be more stealthy.

Of course sometimes you need to pull the container out of a hollow log or something, but I try to log all my finds right at the spot where I found it.

Edited by cachew nut
i agree with your rant. good rant.

one thing... i'm not disagreeing with you, but what about those of us who find a cache out of place, and dont know how to put it back... should we get flak? i've gotten some flak. i've always contacted people if i wasnt sure, but some angry eyebrows have come up.

Good question - when I found one cache sticking out of a hollow log I shoved it back inside so it was not so obvious.

This has happened a few times. It look obvious to me how it should have been. But you might be right - I did mention it in a couple posts but did not hear back as doing wrong so must have been ok.

On the other hand - it may have been just tossed down and not replaced carefully as mine were and then replaced as hidden when I found them. Hard to tell - but you do bring up a good point - "do you leave it in the open or push it back under the available cover"?

comments from the 'experts' might help <grin> but just who are they? :smile:

Edited by CompuCash
I've read some logs about how the cacher removes the container to another place to sign the log, and then brings the container back when it's "safe".

I've always tried not to move the container, just open it where it lies, sign in and close the lid. I've gotten used to doing things that way. and it makes me be more stealthy.

Of course sometimes you need to pull the container out of a hollow log or something, but I try to log all my finds right at the spot where I found it.

I do it pretty much that way as much as I can - kneel down right in front of it if I can. On some micros you just have to move and sit to write on that little paper.

"Put it back the way you found it" breaks down completely as a rule if only one finder doesn't follow it. Far better idea is to affix a detailed instruction sheet with photos showing how you want it hidden. Put this instruction sheet inside the lid of the cache. That way even if some moron hides it wrong, the next cacher has a chance to see how you wanted it done and set it right.

Gotta agree with you. Had one of mine moved once, but I ran a check and replaced it where I want it. Someone thought he knew better, I guess.

But last week I saw one, larger cache, in a great notch in a tree, way back in the boonies, shining brightly for all to see from 50+ feet. I think the bark slabs had slipped down in the storm. I tried hard to do better, but if a big storm comes - then maybe the hider made a mistake in his choice.

"Put it back the way you found it" breaks down completely as a rule if only one finder doesn't follow it. Far better idea is to affix a detailed instruction sheet with photos showing how you want it hidden. Put this instruction sheet inside the lid of the cache. That way even if some moron hides it wrong, the next cacher has a chance to see how you wanted it done and set it right.

You are very right of course - I had thought of that -

very good idea !

I LIKE IT!

but the lazies just won't do it - they will toss it down lid half on (or not) and run off.

We can't win that battle I think.

But for specific hides - that may be a very good idea -

You do make one very important assumption here tho -

that they can READ!

:smile:

Far better idea is to affix a detailed instruction sheet with photos showing how you want it hidden.  Put this instruction sheet inside the lid of the cache.  That way even if some moron hides it wrong, the next cacher has a chance to see how you wanted it done and set it right.

i agree with that, but it requires a lot more effort in the planning and hiding- especially if you want to place a picture of the hide inside. Your suggestion will usually mean an extra trip to the cache site during the placement. i.e. to print a paper, picture, laminate the instructions, etc much of which requires equipment not normally carried on one's person.

My hiding range is a few hundred miles. To make several trips to hide a cache can mean several weeks work as I don't go everywhere every day. I generally like to place a cache in no more than 2 trips- one to scout and one to hide. I am usually not so lucky as to have found the EXACT spot on the first scouting expedition (hard to judge size without the actual cache in hand). making up a description in advance would be "iffy" at best for me.

Also not all caches are big enough to hold such a description in a size that someone is likely to read.

Mostly, we are all at the mercy of the other cachers. Good suggestion though.

If I find a cache out in the open and an obvious concealable hiding spot is very close by, i will usually hide better than found. If an obvious spot is not obvious then back it goes out in the open like I found it.

I always a**-U-ME that the hider intended to HIDE it, but that is not necessarily always the case.

edit:

(gee I didn't know ASSUME was a forbidden word- interesting spell correction system)

Edited by ChurchCampDave

Some times it's a tough choice in the last two days I've found caches out in the open. The first one I just added some extra material to cover it up. The other one was sitting in the middle of the trail so I placed it in the brush next to the trail. Were I placed it might not be were it was originally placed but I thought it was better than in the middle of the trail.

I've found a cache where the container was actually ziptied to a tree so you couldn't help but leave it where it was. Granted, there was enough space to sit under the tree, remain hidden, and sign the log. But no one could ever accuse anyone of moving it from its hiding spot. I guess you could be lazy and not cover it back up with sticks and stuff, but it was a good solution, I thought.

I can't believe I had searched for a thread on this to add my 2 cents. and at the same time I was writing, this one was being written too.

Similar thread

I used a little different approach, although my ire and first thoughts weren't way off from CompuCash's.

Lilbluyze

==========================

added from previous post by lilbluyze (by CompuCash)

==========================

I would like to encourage all hunters new and not so new to take the extra time to put caches back like you found them. Cover them well if they have been covered by brush or what ever. You may not have noticed that there were vines that were also covering the disguise that is an important part of the camouflage, or there were decoy piles etc nearby.

Before you leave your find -

- Look to see if the cache is easily seen ( It may not have been intended to be)

- Did you place it back in the hole, pipe etc so that it isn't easily seen?

- If there were other piles of stuff near the cache and you disassembled them 

....during your hunt; did you re-pile the stuff?

- Did you leave the disguised container with the open end facing away from

....the trail?

Think about how you leave the cache before you walk away. You may be able to even cover it a little better than when you found it. Maybe the weather blew or washed away some of the camouflage. Geocachers that have hidden caches (Hopefully) have put some thought and usually hard work into their hides, especially if they are disguised or camouflaged. It's a bit dissapointing to go check on one and find it just out there. ( I know that's one reason why we do maintenance checks)

PLEASE don't misunderstand and move the cache or something of that nature. Just think about how much fun it was when you found a particular cache and it was well hidden or disguised.

Let it be that much fun for the next geocacher. 

Here's to lots of fun finds

Lilbluyze <b>

I added your previous post here -

actually you took a different approach that was probably much better - but I like your list of things to do -

Now the decoy piles is something that I never thought of - hmmm... I don't think I ever did that - will keep it in mind now -

thanks - AGAIN!

Edited by CompuCash

How about this from the "Logs We'd Like To See" department:

Well thought out cache

August 9, 2004

by: The Anti-Cacher (2 found)

Took me almost an hour to find the cache, what a great hiding spot! Others won't have the same problem, because I forgot where I found it so I left it somewhere else in plain sight. I think it's within 50m or so of the original coordinates. You should be able to find it, just look for all the garbage left from my lunch.

Didn't bother to put the lid back on, so the next cacher should probably bring a new logbook for this one. Come to think of it, bring a new cache as well since it will certainly get stolen.

There was lots of cool stuff in this one! I couldn't decide, so I took the compass, binoculars and the pocket radio. Left half a granola bar that I couldn't finish eating. I also grabbed that cute little travel bug. My daughter is going to love it! Thanks alot!

TFTC! Man, this is a great sport! I'm glad some people are willing to put in the effort so that I can enjoy myself! <_<

-- I should note that this isn't based on personal experience. This doesn't happen in my neck of the woods. There are very few caches (and cachers). Still, I empathize...