Summer Of 2004 Geocaching Picnic - San Diego

devhead

The Summer of 2004 Geocaching Picnic

Coordinates for micro cache that contains the final event coordinates: N32 47.382 W117 13.981

Agenda:

• 7:00 - 10:00 Setup
  • 10:00 Sign In
  • 10:00 Hula Dancers arrive
  • 10:30 Geocourse
  • 11:00 Games
  • 11:30 Grill is lit
  • 1:00pm Raffle & Group Picture

• Yrium Memorial: Entire Day
  • Banner drawing Activity: Entire Day
  • Eating: Eat when you want.
  • Pictures: Please take pictures, submit your favorites to devhead and a collage will be built and uploaded to the event web page after the event.

Explanation of each above items plus other stuff.

Crown Point is a popular place. We hope to have an area on the north end of Crown Point. There will be a microcache on the back of the power transformer near the north entrance of Crown Point. There is a small place to park a car while getting the coords from the cache. Coordinates will be of our final picnic spot.

If you can come down early to help set up that would be great. Bring your own portable shade if desireable if you have a portable table we could use it as well.

Sign In. Please sign in with your GC username, number of people that day and the number of finds you currently have. A commemorative Travel Bug will be made with all of our names on it and released sometime after the picnic. At the sign in table will be two activities. A memorial for Yrium and a Banner design sheet. Please sign the card for Yrium. We are hoping to have a banner made for future GC events, your design may be chosen. Be creative!

We arranged for Hula Dancers, enjoy!

Geocourse will start at 10:30. Individual start times will be delayed by the number of finds you currently have, 900 finds = 900 seconds = 15 minutes.

Several kids and adults games will be conducted. So far we will be playing Crows and Cranes, doing a three legged race and having a red licorice vine eating contest (speed not quantity).

Raffle tickets will be available for sale throughout the day and it may be possible to win tickets too. You are responsible for retrieving any prize(s) won if not present during the drawing. We hope to get a group picture right before the raffle. Several prizes have been donated by local cachers and some corporate sponsors.

Facility notes: There are standard public restrooms available. There will be a city lifeguard on duty. There is a childrens playground nearby. Signs posted at the entrances indicate that dogs are not allowed until after 6:00pm during the summer. Sorry to find out about this just today (8/7).

The Summer of 2004 Geocaching Picnic - Event Page Listing

NO DOGS???!!!!! :smile:

Finnegan is Not Pleased.

Grrrrrrrrrrr!

Signs, Signs, Everywhere there's signs!

The sign states no dogs on in the park until after 6pm during the summer months. However......we are not your parents or your guardians. it is up to you to decide whether or not to bring your 4 legged caching friend.

i was down there this morning at 6:40am til about 7:30 and saw a couple of dogs on leashes down there.

if anyone is an early riser, i could use some help setting up (claiming our area) saturday morning bout 5:45 - 6:00am (that's how early ya gotta be there to get the good spots.

Signs, Signs, Everywhere there's signs!

hey thats one of my caches! :huh:

The sign states no dogs on in the park until after 6pm during the summer months.

good i hate dogs!, it doesnt say anything abiout cats does it? :huh:

i'll see you all there. :lol:

Myself, wife and 2 kids will be there. We'll bring some sort of green/pasta salad to share, a pre-built cache for the raffle and if I get in gear, I'll have an evil micro placed in the area too.

Dang, I just got back from vacation yesterday. I hope I can get one placed and approved by Saturday. I'll do my best. If I can't do that, I'll add a super-secret-evil-micro cache to the raffle. Hey, I might even get a new convert. [}<_<]

just an update on whats new:

hrtpmpfxr and i have laid out an evil geocourse....well maybe not that evil. about fifteen waypoints throughout crown point. there is a bonus prize in there somewhere.

Flagman and Gecko Dad have been working on the Yrium memorial cache and may be placing it soon.

We will be having a raffle to raise money to create a banner for the "group" to use at future events. we'll just pass it to whoever plans the next one.

Talked with the lifeguard on duty during the week. he said if you are planning on bringing your motorhome.....be there early. the dirt lot filled up by 10am last weekend. i was there around 7am and it already had 3 in it.

watch the cache page and this thread for more updates on friday morning.

and yes...the eating contest will happen....looks like Fattboy make get his wish and eat a lot of hotdogs and perhaps a few licorice.

One more thought, for those of you bringing a FRS band radio or Garmin Rino GPSr, set your frequency to 2, no sub code. A few of the planners will have a radio in case you get lost. :o I hope some of us Rino owners will find some time to play a game or two. :lol: Just 17.5 more hours! :lol:

Down to the wire now. here's some last minute info some people would find helpful:

we are trying to get a spot at the north end of Crown Point. look for us near the water, up on the grass. hopefully under a huge tree with a lifeguard stand. or just to the left of it.

In the case we don't get our spot: Use the Micro Cache.

the micro cache is tucked in a green utility box at the north entrance to Crown Point. inside will be the coordinates of where we actually end up. you can park within 5 ft of the cache and not be seen grabbing it. Yes it is legal parking.