Usb-capabale Gpsrs For Use With Laptop?

Backstory:

My wife and I are planning a cross country drive (Michigan to Oregon) later this year. Usually we leave computers behind when we travel. I load up my SporTrak Pro with the maps I think we'll need ahead of time.

But on this trip, we'll both be taking our laptop computers. So my brain went through a whole slew of new possibilities:

Hey - I don't have to worry about loading all of the maps at once. I can load what I need for each part of the trip each night when we stop for rest.

...Or even better, I could hook the STP right up to the computer, and we can navigate using Route 66 or MS Streets & Trips instead of a paper map. Won't have to load maps to the GPS at all.

...Hmm, neither of our laptops have an RS-232 port, so we'll have to fuss with the USB-Serial adapter, and I'll have to get the combined power/data cable for the STP, and we'll have to find power for BOTH the computer and the GPS.

BINGO! An excuse to buy a new toy: I want a GPSR specifically designed for use with a nobile computer, one of them antenna+receiver only jobs that connects and draws power by USB....

Okay, so now you know how I got to this point, and you'll know what my needs are: On the road navigation, not geocaching. Must have a direct USB connection that handles both data and power. NMEA so it will work with any software I choose to use, not necessarily GPS vendor specific. Mac compatibile isn't strictly necessary, but would be a bonus as I'd rather use my iBook than my wife's Dell.

I'v e found a few products listed online, so what I'm really looking for is firsthand user experience - what products work well, which ones don't. Pointers to any online comparative product reviews would be greatly appreciated.

Comments and suggestions?

L.

:huh: I too do a lot of trav. w/laptop & GPS! I use my Garmen GPS60c for

both offroad and on road along w/Mapsource Metroguide. I also use Copilot

2003 for trp. planning and guidance. Never leave home w/o oneor the other.

Both are USB operated! Wiley&Sunset

Edited by Wiley&Sunset

Just a quick thought: have you considered a CF GPS option? I use one (the Holux GM-270 Ultra Xtrac2) with my laptop all the time and love it. The great benifit I've found is it just plugs right in (with the use of a $10 CF to PCMCIA adapter card) without the need for wires. I also like this option because it seems to be where the most recent advances in GPS technology show up first. Case in point, the Xtrac2 firmware. It never drops signal, and has no delays. It may take some time for this tech to show up in a stand alone unit. Also, this option tends to be cheaper than stand alone units too.

Here is a link to the GPS: GM-270 @ Semsons

Here is a link to the adapter card: PCMCIA Adapter @ Semsons

By the way, if you join gpspassion.com for $10, you'll recieve a coupon for 10% your order at Semsons. Kind of a nice way to save a few bucks.

Thanks for the feedback so far, everyone...

Has anyone used the Rayming TN200? On paper it looks like ti's just what I asked for (even Mac drivers), but I was hoping someone here had some hands-on experience - and maybe comparisons to other units.

A few places online list these for under $100. If any of them have a liberal enough return policy (e.g., no restocking charge and at least 14 days to decide), I'll probably give one a try.

L.

Edit 8/8/04 - 9PM EDT

I did find a review online of the Rayming TN-200 as well as the Delorme Earthmate. Summed up, all the reviewer said was "yup, they both work like they's supposed to." I would still be interested in hearing from GC members with first hand experience using the TN-200. L.

Edited by lee_rimar

If you are already using MS Streets and Trips there is a new bundle with Streets & Trips 2005 and a Pharos GPS-360 w/USB connector.

I believe the price on the bundle is $129 but CompUSA had it on sale last week for $79 It is my first GPS unit and I am loving it so far. It was even the GPS unit I wanted since this unit can also be inserted into a CF sleeve or a Bluetooth sleeve.

I have never used a GPS unit before so I can't say comparitivly how good it is but it has been great fun so far. Found two cache's sunday and that was enough to let mw know that carrying a laptop around is kind of cumbersome but at least I can plug it into my pocket pc when I find the CF adapter.

Good luck with your trip, I know I can't wait to take my next road trip!!

Actually, we've kinda scratched the plan for using a laptopm connected to a GPS on our cross country drive. Just as you found it cumbersome to carry a laptop while caching, we both found it uncomfortable and awkward to try to use the laptop in a moving vehicle. perhaps with some kind of stand to hold the laptop computer where the navigator (not the driver) can see it it becomse mre practical and comfortable.

But for now, the question of how to load enough maps onto my handheld GPS was solved by getting a bigger one B) Will probably still have the laptop in the truck with us just to look things up if we need more information about an area than the GPS tells us.

And going completely off topic - has anyone here ever used Route 66? I find it to both incredibly useful and aggravating! Useful for the wealth of data, detailed maps, and powerful search features. Aggravating because the user interface is weird and it runs very slowly at times.

If I understand your needs correctly then a simple RS232 to USB connector is all you need.

We have the ACER model #GUC232A and have used it with both the desktop and laptop. It is a 'plug and play' unit. connect the GPSr cable to the RS232 end and then connect the USB to the computer.

With our Magellan connected to the laptop we just start the log and it plots on the screen where we are.

Good luck,

John

If I understand your needs correctly then a simple RS232 to USB connector is all you need.

We have the ACER model #GUC232A and have used it with both the desktop and laptop. It is a 'plug and play' unit. connect the GPSr cable to the RS232 end and then connect the USB to the computer.

With our Magellan connected to the laptop we just start the log and it plots on the screen where we are.

Good luck,

John

Yeah, if you can get one to WORK PROPERLY. My experience using MS Streets and Trips with my Etrex was well....a nightmare....went out and bought a Delorme Earthmate, much nicer setup. Computer quit crashing and everything......

Good luck,

John

Yeah, if you can get one to WORK PROPERLY. My experience using MS Streets and Trips with my Etrex was well....a nightmare....went out and bought a Delorme Earthmate, much nicer setup. Computer quit crashing and everything......

I forgot to mention we're using Mapsend Topo and it works just fine with our laptop.

John

What I use for driving directions is my Legend connected to my Palm Zire 71 running Mapopolis. With this I get verbal driving directions and automatic rerouting, and I can put all the maps I want on SD cards. I made a cable which powers both my GPS and my Palm from a USB charging port that plugs into my cigarette lighter. If you already have a Palm or PPC, this is the way to go. If you don't, then it's an excuse to buy another toy.....err..... extremely useful, really indispensible, electronic device.